Impressive crankshaft

Everything that is outdoors and not hunting or shooting. Talk about fishing, 4wd, archery, camping, motorbike riding etc etc.
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .20-222

Impressive crankshaft

Post by Branxhunter »

Marcus
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 308/6br

Re: Impressive crankshaft

Post by macca »

Not a rip out on a Saturday with a mate, sort of replacement job.
Bloody impressive numbers.
Dread to think the cost.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

Yes, I dread the cost.

Back in the way back I used to deal with big industrial cranks. Longest I remember was over 21ft long.

I also remember some form of compressor crank with over 2ft of throw.

Of course the Germans were great at the repair policies for worn cranks. 2 thou wear equals buy a new one (about 14K for a bus crank - back the ). They’ve never heard of crank grinding and undersized bearings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
frakka
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 223 Rem

Post by frakka »

It is as impressive as the 230,000 tons they push along, and it certainly dwarfs the technicians smoko table in the foreground.
Tackleberry
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 17HMR

Post by Tackleberry »

frakka wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:44 pm It is as impressive as the 230,000 tons they push along, and it certainly dwarfs the technicians smoko table in the foreground.
Yes some of the new container ships carry 6 to 8000 containers sit down and think about that that is one hell of a lot of stuff .
It would be interesting to find out how much pollution the fuel one of these things creates they should be nucular driven like naval ships .
frakka
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 223 Rem

Post by frakka »

A coincidence perhaps, but here is one of those 224,000 ton ships stuck sideways in the Suez canal, the crankshaft at idle:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-25/ ... /100027188
foxhunter223
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Post by foxhunter223 »

Yes some of the new container ships carry 6 to 8000 containers sit down and think about that that is one hell of a lot of stuff .
It would be interesting to find out how much pollution the fuel one of these things creates they should be nucular driven like naval ships .
The Guardian has reported on new research showing that in one year, a single large container ship can emit cancer and asthma-causing pollutants equivalent to that of 50 million cars. The low grade bunker fuel used by the worlds 90,000 cargo ships contains up to 2,000 times the amount of sulfur compared to diesel fuel used in automobiles. The recent boom in the global trade of manufactured goods has also resulted in a new breed of super sized container ship which consume fuel not by the gallons, but by tons per hour, and shipping now accounts for 90% of global trade by volume.

Pete