I learnt a new trick today!

Everything that is outdoors and not hunting or shooting. Talk about fishing, 4wd, archery, camping, motorbike riding etc etc.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

I learnt a new trick today!

Post by The Raven »

I am planning some maintenance for the bike and decided I wanted to do something about the rusty look of the exhaust. Well, thanks to another forum I came across a technique that works well on stainless steel and chrome (and probably some other metals).

Keeping it short...

CLR and other similar products are great for cleaning off exhausts. Here's a before (actually a bit I haven't done) and the after (the bits I could reach without removing fairings).

This first pic is indicative of what the stainless pipes looked like after 15 years. When I do the major servicing I'll have all the fairings off and will tackle the rest.
IMG_5515sm.jpg

This pic shows the lower pipes and collector after a quick spray of diluted CLR and a scrubbing pad. The yellowish tint is from the sunset...
IMG_5514sm.jpg
No doubt some further cleaning is required, at which time I can give it a light polish.

Thought this may be of some use to those who like their toys looking as best they can...

Actually, I wonder how this would go on rusty barrels (not the bore)....
Squirrel Gripper
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Re: I learnt a new trick today!

Post by Squirrel Gripper »

what smell like when pipe hot
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

Squirrel Gripper wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:49 pm what smell like when pipe hot
I rinsed it off with water and then started it. I didn't notice any smell.
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

Mmmmmm ....... shiny!
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

I thought it was a huge improvement over the typical brown/rust looking exhaust system.

Waiting on some parts for a service, at which point I'll pull all the fairings and do the entire header/downpipe section. No one will see it (unless they peek through the fairings) but I'll know it's nice and clean.