Review: Adventure Kings RTT

Everything that is outdoors and not hunting or shooting. Talk about fishing, 4wd, archery, camping, motorbike riding etc etc.
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Review: Adventure Kings RTT

Post by kickinback »

I had been looking at rooftop tents for quite a while. Nearly bought a Darche version at the SHOT show. Saw them again at the outdoors show when there with Ricky. Spoke to two of his mates who were there as well, one had the Darche and the other the Adventure Kings. Both agreed that they were nearly identical but the Kings was easier to pack up due to its cover being a looser fit enabling bedding to remain in the tent once folded.
This pretty much tipped me in favour of the $450 cheaper Adventure Kings unit. As it turns out both the boys wanted to get me something for Father’s Day so that was that.

The Box

It weighs about 50kg. If you’re going to store the rtt for a little while before fitting it, stand it on its edge, NOT ON THE FACE. this is marked on the box and you need to follow this advice. The sandwich panel that forms the base can be easily damaged if stored flat.

Fitting instructions are in the fucking tent, as are all the fixings. Pain in the arse.

Why?

You need enough area to open the tent to get inside and grab the instructions and all the fixings. This area should be swept and needs to be free of any stones etc as these will puncture the sandwich panel base when you crawl in to get the assembly paraphernalia.

Getting it all together.

I didn’t want mine on the roof. I mounted it to the tub after making up some racks that span the width of the tub. Simply follow the instructions from the book and all will be good.

Setting up

Zip off the cover, slide the ladder out and cantilever. Set the ladder in position and belt in 2 pegs. Put in the props for the window awnings and you’re done. I got some led strip lights thrown in as well so I put them in and will leave them in place. All of the bedding now stays in the tent (1 sleeping bag, a doona and pillows)

Packing up

Pull out the lead for the lights, remove tent pegs, fold up and push in tent sides while doing so. Tighten hold down straps and put the cover on. It’s that easy.

What I reckon

Should have done this years ago. Can’t wait for our desert trip next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Re: Review: Adventure Kings RTT

Post by Camel »

Most certainly a nice neat package, being off the ground is a real bonus. :D You got good boys mate. :D

Whats the mattress material, thickness, softness, for us old buggers with sore bones.
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

Good write up. I've been pondering a set-up like yours, but on a tray top......

Nice job on those racks, too!
Rabbitz
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 222

Post by Rabbitz »

Hi Kicken,

How critical is the distance between the mounting rails?

Is it a fixed distance or is it adjustable?

Trying to work out possible mounting and tonneau issues.

Cheers
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

Rabbitz wrote:Hi Kicken,

How critical is the distance between the mounting rails?

Is it a fixed distance or is it adjustable?

Trying to work out possible mounting and tonneau issues.

Cheers
There are predrilled holes in the base for the supplied rails so it depends which way you want the tent to fold out. If you go out the side it doesn’t matter, out the back it does. I’ll post a pick tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rabbitz
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Rabbitz »

Much appreciated.
Gnome
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 375 Cheytac

Post by Gnome »

They is a great tent for sure, like kicken said easy enought to set up and pack up.

Camel, take out the super soft supplied foam matress and install a self inflating one and ya bones will be thanking you 😉

Am looking at a detachable stand that can be pegged down to allow for setting up as a base camp and be able to use the ute to do little travels.
Rabbitz
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Rabbitz »

Are you looking at a custom job, or are there COTS options?
Gnome
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 375 Cheytac

Post by Gnome »

Rabbitz wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:21 am Are you looking at a custom job, or are there COTS options?
No, was just thoughts had rolling round in the noggin. :)