Australia should adopt 'life saving' US state's ban on kids riding quad bikes, experts say

Everything that is outdoors and not hunting or shooting. Talk about fishing, 4wd, archery, camping, motorbike riding etc etc.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Australia should adopt 'life saving' US state's ban on kids riding quad bikes, experts say

Post by The Raven »

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-13/a ... ay/8941154

Quad bikes have so far killed nine people — including two children — across Australia this year, and yet in the US state of Massachusetts only one child has died in the past decade.

Behind this dramatic drop in the fatality rate is something known in the US as Sean's law.

The death of an eight-year-old boy named Sean prompted the state to pass a law in 2010 banning children aged 13 or younger from riding all-terrain vehicles (ATV).

It also required 14-to-17-year-olds to take training classes and to be directly supervised by an adult.

This week the verdict on the law's impact has come in with new data showing the law is saving lives.

====
Great, another Doctor wants something banned because all the people he sees at work are injured...
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Re: Australia should adopt 'life saving' US state's ban on kids riding quad bikes, experts say

Post by Camel »

More nanny state bullshit, from what I have seen the vast majority, and thats not a big number, have been killed by doing stupid things on quads, often with the encouragement of their parents looking on. You cant roll up the whole population of under 16s in cotton wool just because of the ill judged actions of a few. A fair number of the youngsters killed and injured on quads are from the city visiting farms for the first or second time, and then chucked on a quad with no training and poor advice. It is called natural attrition. :roll:
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Re: Australia should adopt 'life saving' US state's ban on kids riding quad bikes, experts say

Post by The Raven »

I was in the US when they banned quads. Well, actually it was trikes then as the quads weren't available then.

No wonder they banned them, you should see how crazy Americans can be with vehicles. The trikes of those days were not designed for jumping and were inherently unstable in turns at speed. Too many idiots running crashing around suburbia or doing Xtreme sports like dune jumping...

You either flipped the thing back on top of you or it 'fell over' through a high speed turn.

Quads, if used as they are meant to be, are much safer BUT they aren't something you can let anyone loose on.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

Everyone would have heard of a fella called Toby Price, I can remember him going around with two broken arms from trying to jump a trike over a gilgai out on the property his father used to manage out this way, but then he was only 3 or 4 years old at the time. :lol:
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

Camel wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:51 pm Everyone would have heard of a fella called Toby Price, I can remember him going around with two broken arms from trying to jump a trike over a gilgai out on the property his father used to manage out this way, but then he was only 3 or 4 years old at the time. :lol:
That should have taught him to keep off those things. :wink:
Rabbitz
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 222

Post by Rabbitz »

As Camel said, nanny state nonsense.

Sometimes you need to throw a bucket of chlorine into the gene pool, or else you weaken the herd. (apologies for the mixed metaphor)
DSD
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by DSD »

I do believe it was only a couple of months ago under the direction of new GM/CEO that mnsw introduced quad racing for juniors coming into line with the rest of the country so it may at least be a little harder to slow down the progress now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by 220 »

I like this quote from the doctor "Children simply do not have the physical mass" interesting considering when my daughter finished primary school their was only one female teacher in the school that was taller than her. Go to any primary school and you will find quite a few of the 5th and 6th grade kids are bigger than the teachers. Obviously we need to add a height restriction as well as age restrictions.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

I did wonder about all the moaning and groaning that our kids are all over weight that you hear quite often. I guess they just pick the reasoning that fits their agenda, seems I have heard it somewhere else :?