Where to get the best deal on a new Stihl MS311

Everything that is outdoors and not hunting or shooting. Talk about fishing, 4wd, archery, camping, motorbike riding etc etc.
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

Gday all,

Well my old 024 AV died (no spark) and I figured rather than mess around trying to fix it I'll bring forward the purchase of a new saw, I've decided on the MS311 as it seems to be a good allround saw with plenty of power, especially when compared with the Husky 455. I'm not a loyalist by any means but you can't argue with the specs for what you get for the money.

Anyway my question is, it seems that Stihl locks their retailers down to set pricing but surely some dealers in NSW will play ball on the price.

So my question is where did you get your saw from and how much off RRP did you get?

Plus any other advice you may have?
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

There's been quite a few on fleabay. Good saw btw. The young bloke has one, we had a race between his and my 024. He cut just over double what the 024 did.

Regarding price, you won't usually get a discount BUT it's what they throw in with the saw that counts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Re: Where to get the best deal on a new Stihl MS311

Post by Camel »

No spark will either be a wire shorting out, or your magneto is stuffed, both of which are way cheaper than buying a new saw. Not that Im trying to talk you out of it, your coin and all that jazz. I resurrected a Honda 6.5hp motor the other day that a mate swore was stuffed, and he was about to order a new one, I had a spare magneto for one and had it running in less than 10 minutes.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Camel stop it. That's like telling someone not to build a rifle you need to stage bullets for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

trevort wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:33 pm Camel stop it. That's like telling someone not to build a rifle you need to stage bullets for.

Or if you don't want to stage them, you could always swage them, hey Trev? :D
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

kickinback wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:51 pm There's been quite a few on fleabay. Good saw btw. The young bloke has one, we had a race between his and my 024. He cut just over double what the 024 did.

Regarding price, you won't usually get a discount BUT it's what they throw in with the saw that counts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That's good to know that it'll be much faster thanks Glen.

I figured that may be the case. People complain about shooting gear being cheaper in the states but it has nothing in Stihl and Husky gear. $490 for a MS311 in the US. It's bullshit.
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

Camel wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:09 pm No spark will either be a wire shorting out, or your magneto is stuffed, both of which are way cheaper than buying a new saw. Not that Im trying to talk you out of it, your coin and all that jazz. I resurrected a Honda 6.5hp motor the other day that a mate swore was stuffed, and he was about to order a new one, I had a spare magneto for one and had it running in less than 10 minutes.
You're 100% right mate my thinking was it's a 28 yo saw that is probably too small for cutting two households worth of wood a year so I thought I would bring forward the purchase of the saw I was going to get next year.

The coil is about $45 shipped a smart man would just buy that and try it though.
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Keith Sydney Tools has some good bargains on the smaller Husqvarna saws at present.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

curan wrote:
trevort wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:33 pm Camel stop it. That's like telling someone not to build a rifle you need to stage bullets for.

Or if you don't want to stage them, you could always swage them, hey Trev? :D
That's the one. Well played sir

Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

kjd wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:08 pm
Camel wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:09 pm No spark will either be a wire shorting out, or your magneto is stuffed, both of which are way cheaper than buying a new saw. Not that Im trying to talk you out of it, your coin and all that jazz. I resurrected a Honda 6.5hp motor the other day that a mate swore was stuffed, and he was about to order a new one, I had a spare magneto for one and had it running in less than 10 minutes.
You're 100% right mate my thinking was it's a 28 yo saw that is probably too small for cutting two households worth of wood a year so I thought I would bring forward the purchase of the saw I was going to get next year.

The coil is about $45 shipped a smart man would just buy that and try it though.
Yeah, well if its that old it might be a good idea to change it over, nothing wrong with old, but new is good. :D
Teepee
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 20-250

Post by Teepee »

Or new is betterer!!
I recently upgraded my old 036 and went with something much bigger but much better. The local Stihl rep had the 661 on the shelf for around $150 off the listed price and at the time, there was a cash back incentive of $300, if you bought other gear using a debit card system. He just told me they would use the card to wipe some more off the price. Ended up the saw cost well under what the dealer in a larger closeby city was going to charge me. Sometimes the little guy can do things betterer!!
And the saw buy the way, while much bigger, has the new technology in it. So much easier to start, weights about the same, uses less fuel than the old 036, has a better air filtration system and the list just goes on.
I've Stihl got the 036 but I hardly use it anymore. Cheers!
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

Nothing like a backup aye! The mew ones make the hand me down 08s dad has left at my joint look like a dinosaur. Boy has it done aome work!

Have fun with the new toy.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

There's always wiggle-room, or ways to play the game. I was at the local Stihl dealer recently looking at a big saw. The MS661CM is around the $2100 mark, but dealers will come to $1850 fast enough.

What's your budget? Around the $1200-1300 mark maximum?

I'd personally get a Husqvarna 562XP and run a pro-level saw. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Cheers...
Con
Jacko9
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 6x45

Post by Jacko9 »

Con wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:39 pm There's always wiggle-room, or ways to play the game. I was at the local Stihl dealer recently looking at a big saw. The MS661CM is around the $2100 mark, but dealers will come to $1850 fast enough.

What's your budget? Around the $1200-1300 mark maximum?

I'd personally get a Husqvarna 562XP and run a pro-level saw. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Cheers...
Con
Husky? Pffft. Stick to a winner ;) We have a handful of new huskies and stihl's, a mix of pro level and landowner stuff, take the Stihl's every day of the week, just me anyway.