2 Stroke Oil in Diesel Fuel

Everything that is outdoors and not hunting or shooting. Talk about fishing, 4wd, archery, camping, motorbike riding etc etc.
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 22.250

Post by bigfellascott »

Anyone else here put 2 Stroke in their Diesel Fuel to help with lubrication due to the low sulphur diesel fuel?
LoneRider
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Re: 2 Stroke Oil in Diesel Fuel

Post by LoneRider »

never heard of that before.
i do or have used those big yellow pills you get at truck stops [cut down to my tank size pieces]
daisy
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 7-08

Post by daisy »

I tried it for awhile. Can't say I noticed any great improvement.
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag

Post by bigfellascott »

LoneRider wrote:never heard of that before.
i do or have used those big yellow pills you get at truck stops [cut down to my tank size pieces]
What do the big yellow pills do mate? I assume they are some sort of lube type thing? I have read that Mercedes did some testing with diff additives and they reckon the only one that actually did anything was using 2 Stroke oil.

I've only just started adding it to my diesel so will be interesting to see what diff it makes to performance/economy etc, say say its made improvements in those areas so say they didn't notice any/much diff, but I think the main advantage as I understand it is in lubing the IP and injectors as well (protects the seals etc better) apparently that is where a lot of the issues with this new gen diesel fuel have occurred, the other thing of not was the reduction in some of the emissions - cut by half if I read it correctly.

I have noticed a slight improvement in the willingness of the engine as it were from a little bit of driving I did last night, so maybe there is something in it I don't know, time will tell I guess.

The 2 stroke you must use apparently is the Mineral based type not the synthetic - apparently the synthetic type doesn't mix well with diesel. Do a google on 2 stroke in diesel fuel, plenty of info and experiences with using it.
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag

Post by bigfellascott »

daisy wrote:I tried it for awhile. Can't say I noticed any great improvement.
From what I've read some notice a slight improvement in performance, some don't but the main thing about using it seems to be that it helps with the IP (Injector Pump) and the injectors themselves - apparently this new Gen Diesel is causing quite a few issues with the low lube side of things due to the low sulphur content compared to the old Diesel fuel which had a higher sulphur content and better lube ability because of it.

She ain't cheap getting these IP's rebuilt so might help, who knows time will tell I guess but there was a noticeable increase in IP failures when the new fuel came on line (hence why Mercedes wanted to see if anything could help with that issue I guess).
LoneRider
50 BMG

Post by LoneRider »

they sell these pills where trucks fill up or buy spares.they are a big yellow pill.
i think they treat one tank on a semi each pill.if you divide the pills length by the ltr value in your vehicles tank you get a few treatments per pill.
i think its more a solid additive ip/injector cleaner /fuel booster than a lube...good for every second or 3rd tank full.

sean.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

Is this trick intended for the older diesels (pre-low sulphur fuels here) or also applicable to the newer models?
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag

Post by bigfellascott »

LoneRider wrote:they sell these pills where trucks fill up or buy spares.they are a big yellow pill.
i think they treat one tank on a semi each pill.if you divide the pills length by the ltr value in your vehicles tank you get a few treatments per pill.
i think its more a solid additive ip/injector cleaner /fuel booster than a lube...good for every second or 3rd tank full.

sean.
Thanks for that Sean, I'll have to have a look into that a bit further.
The Raven wrote:Is this trick intended for the older diesels (pre-low sulphur fuels here) or also applicable to the newer models?
Seems like plenty of people are using it in older model diesels too, just make sure it's the Mineral Based Oils not the Synthetic as it doesn't seem to mix well with diesel - easy way to tell if its going to mix well would be to put some diesel in a jar and all the required amount of 2 stroke, give it a shake and let it sit for a while and see if it separates or not.
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag

Post by bigfellascott »

What I can say is my Maz BT 50 PJ 2006 model is running a lot quieter and a bit smoother since introducing 2 stroke into the system last night, I started it up this morning and it was quite a bit quieter (very much noticeably so) in the injectors than it normally is in the morning first thing so its definitely doing something and it was quieter driving too :D at the end of the day you are really adding oil to oil in a way just that this oil has a lot more lube properties to it I guess (as we know the new LSD has had a lot of its lube properties removed with the use of less sulphur in the blend, so I guess adding some of the lube properties back in can't hurt and from all reports it makes a diff, so far mines quieter, smoother and possibly a little bit more responsive - I'll keep using it for now.
Vermingone
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 243 ai

Post by Vermingone »

I just run BP Ultimate Diesel in my 2002 GU Patrol space cab coil spring ute and Ryco filters fuel oil and air.
Last tank approx 165ltrs between the 2 tanks I traveled 1450kms before the low fuel light came on.
Previously I would get around 1180 odd.
Now that was city driving 50kms one way to work thru about 22 sets of lights averaging about 60-70kph not wring its neck. I generally travel approx +5 kph over the speed limit.
LoneRider
50 BMG

Post by LoneRider »

i run woolies diesel mostly,but with a 92 ute you wouldnt know what was rattlin from all the other noises :roll: :wink:
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag

Post by bigfellascott »

LoneRider wrote:i run woolies diesel mostly,but with a 92 ute you wouldnt know what was rattlin from all the other noises :roll: :wink:
:lol: drop a bit of 2 stroke in it and see if it helps :wink: the ratio that's been recommended is 200:1 so around 5mils per litre I think it works out too so 50lt would work out at 250ml of 2 Stroke oil.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

Next question: What ratio of 2 stroke are you mixing in.

Buying all those little bottles of 2 stroke from Coles could be a pain in the ass :lol:
DSD
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by DSD »

Then buy if from somewhere else in 25 or205 lt drums and pay a better price
Croaky
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 22/250

Post by Croaky »

Hey Scotty, don't know about diesel engines but I have a lot more willingness with a bit
of extra lube :wink: :lol: :lol: