Don't buy a Colorado

Everything that is outdoors and not hunting or shooting. Talk about fishing, 4wd, archery, camping, motorbike riding etc etc.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Re: Don't buy a Colorado

Post by The Raven »

Hi Keith,

Sounds like it isn't problematic then. If no-one's complaining then something IS wrong. :lol:
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

kickinback wrote:What is a green slip?

Third party injury insurance, we need to renew them every year at rego time, or no new rego. You blokes prolly pay for it in your rego, like we used to years ago when the costs were reasonable, now that other insurance companies are involved, the price surprisingly rose. :roll: don't know why that would happen. :roll:
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Don't buy a Colorado

Post by kickinback »

Thanks camel. Hope we don't go that way. That's double what we pay.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

I actually took it on a 4wd track. Not a challenging one (or I might still be on it) but a 4wd track nevertheless. Fun
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

trevort wrote:I actually took it on a 4wd track. Not a challenging one (or I might still be on it) but a 4wd track nevertheless. Fun
Good on yer Trevort! Like guns, they're made to be used!
Jacko9
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 6x45

Post by Jacko9 »

no offence to the blokes to have them, but they just aren't holding up to the heavier usage they are copping out here. The only things really capable of it are cruisers and patrols, of the lighter built vehicles in town, there are practically no issues with the hiluxs, nor should there be with the older design. The ranger is getting a brilliant reputation down here now... Will be interesting to see how the new hiluxs go, my old man has put his name down for one...
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Cheers Jacko, wanted a Ranger, wanted an auto, auto Ranger just a little out of the price range.

Feel more confident with the colorado after fitting bash plates.

Mine wont get much real work but interested to hear more real life stories on what ones do stand up to real use as time goes by
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

I dunno, my mates ranger had terrible sagging suspension in the rear end, the leafs were buggered and ford wouldn't replace them as they were still "within specifications".

My mate has a BT50 (same engine as the Ranger) and they just re-did $7000 worth of injectors under warranty (with no questions asked mind you), my uncle has a ranger and said he'd buy a hilux next time, yet everyone I know with a Colorado has been happy with it aside from small niggles. I am on the RG Colorado's Facebook group and the biggest recurring issue I notice is the RG's consuming oil, but it seems that they are narrowing it down to using the wrong type of oil as the reason, Mine hasn't skipped a beat, never uses oil and It serves the purposes I bought it for so to me it really is irrelevant whether or not they work as farm vehicles.

Utes are going to do it tough doing most of their Km on farms and on shitty dirt roads, but to make out that the ranger has it in the reliability stakes over a Colorado is a stretch with the stories I've heard and the experiences of my friends with them.

Note that this is not just because I've bought one, if it were shit I'd say so, I just think that so far mine and other people's Collies I know have been good and reliable.
Jacko9
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 6x45

Post by Jacko9 »

mate it wasn't only the reliability stakes, the colorados were fairly poorly finished, nowhere near what the finish of the ranger is, which is top of the class, only thing that goes close is the Amarok imo. One bloke down here had his go back 5 times for replacement suspension by 70,000 km, it's just not good enough. I was dead set on a space cab colorado until I inspected one, the door seemings were poorly constructed, the paint job was thin and the chassis had rust on it already, and the doors rattled and shook, on a ute with 6km. There were 2 to pick from, both exhibited these issues. The previous Colorado is a whole different story, My uncle has one, uses it out at Ivanhoe, and uses it hard, has never had an issue, it has been absolutely brilliant. I am not a Holden hater, I am just disappointed in this offering from them, and don't think it's up to snuff.
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

Jacko9 wrote:mate it wasn't only the reliability stakes, the colorados were fairly poorly finished, nowhere near what the finish of the ranger is, which is top of the class, only thing that goes close is the Amarok imo. One bloke down here had his go back 5 times for replacement suspension by 70,000 km, it's just not good enough. I was dead set on a space cab colorado until I inspected one, the door seemings were poorly constructed, the paint job was thin and the chassis had rust on it already, and the doors rattled and shook, on a ute with 6km. There were 2 to pick from, both exhibited these issues. The previous Colorado is a whole different story, My uncle has one, uses it out at Ivanhoe, and uses it hard, has never had an issue, it has been absolutely brilliant. I am not a Holden hater, I am just disappointed in this offering from them, and don't think it's up to snuff.
Well I dunno I've only done 22,000 km in one, done a Lot of bush tracks, river crossings, nearly had it bogged plenty, the doors are solid and do not rattle. Your opinion isn't what I have experienced but hey perhaps I just know fuck all?

My cousin has one and it is a commuter has done 35,000 kms with it and has done a bit of stuff out bush and no complaints from his either.
But it's not as if we both go out of our way to try and break them either.
Engine noise and intermittent squeaking brakes are my my biggest complaints..

As far as the paint goes, I completely disagree, I had a fucker key three panels of mine deep into the clear coat, I got the touch up guys to buff it out for me, I just polished the car on Saturday and you had to look bloody hard at where it was scratched, when she is dusty it is easier to spot but a shitty paint job would have required a respray.
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

I'm not saying they're bulletproof or the best utes on the market but they are damned good for what they are and they are priced competitively. They are a good honest and reliable vehicle.

I also would have preferred a range at the time of buying but now after what I've heard about them I'm glad I went with the choice I did.
Texas1
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Post by Texas1 »

In my opinon all moden Utes these days aren't utes in the term they are just glorified ass charters can't carry weight, to higher geared 1st always shuttering or slipping on hard or heavy take offs common rails good power but with our so called fuel (diesel)is causing so much greff in the injector area in all models and makes .
I would gladly go back ten years in make and model if they re made them tomorrow just for reliability cause I always seem to be putting my hand in my pocket with these moden vehicles .
Best vehicle 79 landcrusier 350,000 kms and no major headaches in that time ,now Hilux clutch issues ,injector issues ,manifolds carboning up front end bushes shot the list goes on.
There is no silver lining on new vehicles in my opinion these days someone always has a horror story about there's.
DSD
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by DSD »

This bloke is not impressed with his Colorado eitherImageImageImage
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

It's all ok to have a rant about the colour but why did he take delivery of it in the first place?
DSD
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by DSD »

I was thinking similar