Don't buy a Colorado

Everything that is outdoors and not hunting or shooting. Talk about fishing, 4wd, archery, camping, motorbike riding etc etc.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Re: Don't buy a Colorado

Post by The Raven »

bigfellascott wrote:
The Raven wrote:I thought so, but it was worth checking in case they have 'approved' mods from certain vendors.
We all know what Car Dealerships are like, promise everything until they make the sale then ya on ya own - I don't trust any of them ever and if she's a new car I certainly wouldn't be doing anything to jepardise the warranty (hard enough getting em to honor it as it is without giving them an out) :D

My BT is a 2006 PJ model with just on 100,000 on the clock so she's out of warranty so I can now get it sorted so it actually runs the way it should instead of putting up with Mazda's substandard detuned effort.
Assuming my boss isn't on a plane to Australia to fire me, I should get a Colorado this year. Was just considering my options when the lease expires. Is that counting my chickens before they hatch?

Oh, Mazda was notorious for reflashing the ECUs during servicings. Inevitably resulting in lower power. Not specifically BTs, but I recall the complaints.

In the US they got caught with the early RX8s. Output was NOT what was claimed, and reflashes reduced it. Legal proceedings forced them to develop a 'flash' that actually generated the marketing figures (much higher than delivered).

Mazda Australia does more to harm their 'global' reputation than anything, starting by overpricing models compared to the rest of the world (not a bit, a lot! = 300%). Similarly, the dealers weren't much better. I had an 'new' 121 Bubble in the 90's (company skateboard) and Mazda dealers could never put them on the hoist, or adjust the clutch properly. How many times did I have to show them the buckled front passenger floor, then readjust the clutch (myself) before leaving the dealership. My folks old MPV (the original RWD V6 model) is still going strong, probably because they stopped taking it to the dealer!
Last edited by The Raven on Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 22.250

Post by bigfellascott »

The Raven wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
The Raven wrote:I thought so, but it was worth checking in case they have 'approved' mods from certain vendors.
We all know what Car Dealerships are like, promise everything until they make the sale then ya on ya own - I don't trust any of them ever and if she's a new car I certainly wouldn't be doing anything to jepardise the warranty (hard enough getting em to honor it as it is without giving them an out) :D

My BT is a 2006 PJ model with just on 100,000 on the clock so she's out of warranty so I can now get it sorted so it actually runs the way it should instead of putting up with Mazda's substandard detuned effort.
Assuming my boss isn't on a plane to Australia to fire me, I should get a Colorado this year. Was just considering my options when the lease expires. Is that counting my chickens before they hatch?
Might well be counting ya chickens before they hatch! :lol: if you do get it and keep it I'd have a look at the ECU Tune etc, well worth doing from what I've read.
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag

Post by bigfellascott »

Got the 3" exhaust on today, made quite a diff already, seems more willing to get up and go quicker, pulls up hills better (more torque) I have a spot on the hill I drive where I floor it and generally I hit the marker doing 80km/h this time I did the same and managed 95km/h :mrgreen: so its made a diff alright and just seems more willing to pull instead of labour along like it used to do, also did some overtaking and it was better in that department too, can't wait to get that ECU remapped and that gearbox parameters done too, she should be bloody good to drive then.
GriMo
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem

Post by GriMo »

Seems it not just jeeps that catch fire...

http://www.news.com.au/finance/business ... 7321528068
LoneRider
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Post by LoneRider »

GriMo wrote:Seems it not just jeeps that catch fire...

http://www.news.com.au/finance/business ... 7321528068
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

It's only on the utes....which isn't my interest :wink:

"Thermal Incident".

I recall the NTSB reporting a plane crash by stating it was a "Fuel Starvation" incident. Ummm, they took off with empty fuel tanks!!!!!!
LoneRider
50 BMG

Post by LoneRider »

and peaple wonder why i wont fly :roll:
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

LoneRider wrote:and peaple wonder why i wont fly :roll:
That particular incident was from the Boeing people who decided to fly one of their historic 'museum' pieces. Thought 50Gal (or some pitiful amount) was enough to top off the tanks for 4 radial engines. Flew about 20 minutes figuring out why one engine died, which also powered the landing gear. Spent another 20 mins manually pumping down the gear only to lose the other engines and drop into a lake (luckily fresh water).

Long story short, they fixed it and then flew it to the Smithsonian where it will never fly again.

I wouldn't worry so much about aircraft that are routinely maintained/flown.

NTSB findings = Fuel Starvation rather than "took off with insufficient fuel"

Colorado issue sounds like bad routing of the battery lead or some other wiring. Recall probably involves adding a zip tie....
LoneRider
50 BMG

Post by LoneRider »

i dont know how many you hear about down south but planes crashing seem to happen a lot up here...
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

LoneRider wrote:i dont know how many you hear about down south but planes crashing seem to happen a lot up here...
That's only cause of the Queenslanders trying to drive them, cornflake package qualifications shouldn't be allowed. :twisted:
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Don't buy a Colorado

Post by trevort »

Just finished the coffee and egg and bacon roll in the coffee shop down the street as Browne Davis fit the bash plated
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag

Post by bigfellascott »

trevort wrote:Just finished the coffee and egg and bacon roll in the coffee shop down the street as Browne Davis fit the bash plated
Mmm - bacon and egg roll for brekkie - sounds good to me! :D Hopefully the Bash plates will keep the Collie safe mate!
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

What's the consensus like now? Are the Colorado's worth it, in particular the 7?
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

The Raven wrote:What's the consensus like now? Are the Colorado's worth it, in particular the 7?
I dunno mate but I love my one it hasn't yet skipped a beat and is just a good honest ute.

The Colorado group on FB is active and the problem people seem to have is that some burn oil but mine hasn't, I haven't had to top it up since last service (8000km) it's used a little bit it's about 1/6 of the length off of the dipstick from full.

I get mine serviced every 12,000km though their service schedule says 15,000 but that seems ok much to me.
So mine has 22,000km and I've had it for a year today.
Cost me $1200 for Rego and green slip today so that was shit.
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Don't buy a Colorado

Post by kickinback »

What is a green slip?