Fish Smoker

Everything that is outdoors and not hunting or shooting. Talk about fishing, 4wd, archery, camping, motorbike riding etc etc.
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Fish Smoker

Post by kjd »

Ok Guys,

I just bought a fish smoker from Rays Outdoors at a good price if you guys are interested was $80 now $40:
http://www.raysoutdoors.com.au/online-s ... 6838#Combo

But what I want to know is what are some of your tips for making good tucker. I have Sheoak and Mesquite shavings.

Years ago when my mate tried smoking some stuff they turned out to have a real horrible bitter taste and I want to avoid that so any ideas would be great.

Also how many shavings do you use in each time you use the smoker?
DSD
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Re: Fish Smoker

Post by DSD »

Only ever tried smoking fish once. Found it to hard, couldn't keep the bastards alight.
1kshot
.204 Ruger

Post by 1kshot »

A big handful to Just cover the bottom, Don't over cook :wink:
But the real trick is marinating the meat/fish etc., but we got a big fridge type smoker that does whole legs, full snapper and dozens of sausages at a time which makes prepping worth it :wink:
But just straight thin strips of meat or small whole fish or fillets when their over a kilo with different wood is still Mmm Mmm Mmmmm in that kind of smoker :D :D :D
Did ya mate use pine? not the best idea :( :( :(

All the best
John
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

1kshot wrote:A big handful to Just cover the bottom, Don't over cook :wink:
But the real trick is marinating the meat/fish etc., but we got a big fridge type smoker that does whole legs, full snapper and dozens of sausages at a time which makes prepping worth it :wink:
But just straight thin strips of meat or small whole fish or fillets when their over a kilo with different wood is still Mmm Mmm Mmmmm in that kind of smoker :D :D :D
Did ya mate use pine? not the best idea :( :( :(

All the best
John
G'day John, I am thinking that you have just put up your hand for a "How to" post about how you built your smoker, and a couple of before, during and after shots of some joints of meat you have smoked. Im particularly interested in doing some home smoked ham. Smoked jerky might also tempt my apatite as well. What do you reckon please mate. :wink: :wink:
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

The old man built a smoker years ago, 44 gal drum on legs, door in the bottom and a few racks above and a spot for the wood shavings.

Fish, lamb, chickens, turkey bloody awesome! Pretty much used whatever shavings he had in the shed can find out though.
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

Old mate of mine built a hot smoker years ago. Very easy design, and it worked great.

It was a 4 drawer pie warmer originally. A stainless steel cabinet, with mesh in the bottom of the drawers. He removed the electrical element (burnt out anyway) and cut a hole in the bottom and put it on legs, then fitted 2 runners so he could slide a roasting pan underneath with sawdust in it, He fitted a drawer handle to the pan. Below that was a small frame with a wind shroud that he fitted a bbq burner into (the old cheap round style). He also drilled a hole about 10mm diameter in the top at each of the back corners, to make sure the smoke filled the back corners. The little bit of leakage around the drawers made sure the front was full of smoke.

The beauty of this set up is you could fully open a drawer with it going, and by pulling it all the way, the back of the drawer would stop excess smoke escaping while you checked the fillets. And if you needed to restock the sawdust, you slid out the roasting pan and threw more in. It was easy to get going, just set the burner on high about a minute, then trim right back to minimum once the smoke was kicking in.

Definitely the best home made small scale hot smoker I have ever seen. Held about 2 dozen decent size Tommy (Australian Herring) once they were butterflied.

cheers, curan
1kshot
.204 Ruger

Post by 1kshot »

No worries mate, next round Ill see what I can do :wink:

All the best
John
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Bewdy John, thanks mate. :D
Ol 55
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by Ol 55 »

I have a Hark 2 door 4 tray gas fired smoker I bought on Ebay for 300 Bucks delivered
I am the type of bloke that will make something rather than buy it but time was precious
so I bought it. Would I buy another one? fuck yes,
I like to brine fish with a light coating of coarse salt then fully cover with brown sugar,
let it sit in the fridge for a hour or so salt will draw moisture out then smoke I like hickory
but there are plenty of woods about Apple, Iron Bark, etc.
Marinated chicken thighs are a big hit along with plain ordinary fat butchers sausages.
My tip would be not to cook the arse out of things
have fun and don't be afraid to experiment.
Ol 55