Lighting up the colorado

Everything that is outdoors and not hunting or shooting. Talk about fishing, 4wd, archery, camping, motorbike riding etc etc.
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Lighting up the colorado

Post by Brad Y »

Well its about that time of year where I get out and about a fair bit spotlighting and its time to get some spotties onto the new colorado. The factory bullbar has mounting brackets under the top bar which Im thinking will be perfect for an LED lightbar. Im looking into that now. But for spotties Im looking at a set of pencil beams just below the bar which will light up ahead and the lightbar can provide the spread. Was thinking a set of the narva ultima 175's as they are about the right size. Im not interested in HID, I dont think its worth the cost and actually prefer halogen. I used to own some lightforce 170's in HID and sold them for a set of ultima 225 halogens which were much better.

Thoughts/opinions appreciated on that size light.
chappo555
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmbr

Re: Lighting up the colorado

Post by chappo555 »

I have a set of LF 240 blitz on the BT50 and reckon they are great. Image
DSD
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by DSD »

Have a set of Narvas on the girls navara and in all the time i have had driving lights never before had i realized cold rain and hot lights do not go together. Would normally never have bought a set of lights with plastic mounts either as have seen to many destroyed by the great roads this country has to offer. This time however the mounts have far outlasted the lense.
TexNAss
17 Hornet
Favourite Cartridge: 22/250

Post by TexNAss »

Narva 175s. Been on my Ricer for about 6 years from brand new- and a set on one of the old BMW R70s-these ones came from a yard sale. Ricer has done about 100'000kms and 3 states with them.

For the money- a pretty good light- all four i own are pencils. Never tried the spreads/combos. Mine all have the clear acrylic covers- I'd skip the marketing gimmick blue lenses/covers thanks.

Beam is pretty tight without being crazy. At a hundred yards- left hand light covers around 75% of my lane to the center.
Anyone for ASCII art?
Beam. !!centerline!! right hand lane!
(---)(!!-) !

Downsides- only deteriation has been the black plastic back. It is breaking down due to UV- and looks like its actually like a fibre based resin rather than plastic. UV proof claim isn't quite correct for Townsville. But better than the supercheap crap.

Never had an issue with them in the rain. On the bike- I usually drop them out as they are higher and the glare from the water droplets is frustrating when its raining. Never noticed it in the ricer.

I'd buy another set is they were back down to the $120 I paid- instead of the $200 bucks they seem to be asking.

I've got 2 brand new Hella Rallye 4000's from Amazon on my door for around $130each. And I know which I'd rather run if I am paying a hundred a light.

Tex
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

I bought a Pair of Hella Rallye 4000 Pencil Beam driving lights in 1996
550,000 km on my truck in the first 2 years and since then on 3 Nissan Patrols.
3 Bulbs and apart from the original setup they have never been readjusted.
I have recently added a third this one is a spread Beam 8)
Also the Hellas are heavier and as we all know if you want long distance you need to go heavy.
CZ550
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .243 Win

Post by CZ550 »

G'day Brad,

I have the Narva 175's on my rodeo and really like them - great amount of light for not rediculous money! The only issue that I have had is 2 smashed lights due to rocks flicked up by trucks. Now I put the plastic lense covers on during the day and so far so good.

You won't be disappointed I feel.

Regards,

CZ550
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .20-222

Post by Branxhunter »

I had Narva 175s on my farm ute, were quite reasonable but as said previously the plastic back started to be affected by UV after a number of years. Hit a roo and smashed one so replaced with a pair of 175 light force. Great light, can adjust from spread to spot, and if I blow a globe in the 225 light force when spotlighting I have two backup globes.

Recently had an aggro calving heifer bounce across the front of the lights - due to the toughness of the casing and lens and the design of the mount they just swivel back rather than break.

Marcus