Cooking in the Bush article

Everything that is outdoors and not hunting or shooting. Talk about fishing, 4wd, archery, camping, motorbike riding etc etc.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Cooking in the Bush article

Post by The Raven »

Phil has an article on Hunt and Shoot covering a BBQ he uses.

Here's the MK1 version of our standard camp BBQ. It's now gone through some refinements (MKIII) but it's good for a campsite with a few blokes. One of the nicest features is provided by having the plates (liberated from gas BBQs) sliding on angle iron rails, you can position the plates wherever you need them OR slide them out of the way to hang a billy etc.

Note these pics show a quick breakfast being prepared.
Attachments
IMAG0277.jpg
IMAG0269.jpg
IMAG0268.jpg
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Re: Cooking in the Bush article

Post by Camel »

:D Hey thats a neat idea, I made one years ago that the legs fold under and lays flat. Can also convert mine to use a couple of gas burners when total fire ban.

Does it come apart for transport and just slot together, have hinges at the top to fold ???
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

Camel wrote::D Hey thats a neat idea, I made one years ago that the legs fold under and lays flat. Can also convert mine to use a couple of gas burners when total fire ban.

Does it come apart for transport and just slot together, have hinges at the top to fold ???
The MKIII version has changed a fair bit from the pics. The A frames and cross bar (top) all come apart. The A frames are now hinged for easier storage/transport. Chains set the A frame 'straddle' so the BBQ plates fit nicely without being able to fall out.

The angle iron BBQ plate rails sit on tabs on the A frame. All the pieces now have welded stops to prevent things coming apart during use (eg. when sliding the plates etc).

The MKIII cross bar has fittings to hang pots/billies off a chain and, then there's mounting points for hanging the cooking irons (keeps them cleaner).

The biggest advantage with this BBQ is that things can easily be slid/re-configured over the fire (big or little, cooking or campfire). Create the firepit that best suits your needs.

Whilst it's no 'backpack BBQ' it's perfect for throwing into the back of a vehicle and feeding a few blokes.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

The Raven wrote:[

Whilst it's no 'backpack BBQ' it's perfect for throwing into the back of a vehicle and feeding a few blokes.

Thats the best thing about having a hunting vehicle, you can carry all lifes little luxuries around. The main trouble with mine is it has to be lifted off the fire, or have one main fire and a smaller one for cooking.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

I have free plans available in PDF should anyone want to make their own.
JasonF
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm-08

Post by JasonF »

Yes please. I liberated some plates from an old gas bbq on the way to the tip, but haven't got around to welding up a campfire frame - your looks very well thought out.

Can you post the plans here or would email be better?

Cheers, Jason.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

This isn't my design or my BBQ, it belongs to a friend. However, he's happy for the plans to be used by anyone.
Attachments
bbqA3-V2.pdf
(29.17 KiB) Downloaded 38 times