Best 4x4 dual cab Turbo Diesel for under $35k

Everything that is outdoors and not hunting or shooting. Talk about fishing, 4wd, archery, camping, motorbike riding etc etc.
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

What do you guys think? What brand should I look for in a 4x4 auto TDi dual cab used with low kms for under 33k?

Things that are important to me:
Fuel efficiency and safety.
GriMo
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem

Post by GriMo »

Navara, unless your stealing my idea?

But Kate will massacre you if you don't get a hilux...
kjd
Site Admin

Re: Best 4x4 dual cab Turbo Diesel for under $35k

Post by kjd »

GriMo wrote:Navara, unless your stealing my idea?

But Kate will massacre you if you don't get a hilux...
I'm looking at the Navara as well fuel consumption is a bit higher than the others but they are a nice looking vehicle.

Kate will Be happy with whatever as she will be lucky I got rid of my foz for her stupid horse haha.

What's your idea?
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Navara and fit a chip And if Kate does not like it she can ride one of your bikes :lol:
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

MISSED wrote:Navara and fit a chip And if Kate does not like it she can ride one of your bikes :lol:
A chip mate? For. Better fuel efficiency??
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

kjd wrote:
MISSED wrote:Navara and fit a chip And if Kate does not like it she can ride one of your bikes :lol:
A chip mate? For. Better fuel efficiency??
And power if needed. Diesel's seem to benefit from chips much more than petrols.

I'm half-heartedly looking at a crew-cab utility in the next 12-18months. Looking mostly at the Triton, though will also look at Colorado. Dont need to do heavy duty 4WD work, just some light farm duties plus hunting duties, fit 3 kids in the back and have at least 4 star safety rating because the missus and the kids are the most important assets, must be able to tow 2.5T double horse float and pull it from greasy Pony Club ground. I also want a diff lock in back.

Disregarding Hilux due to motor/injector issues plus high price, likewise the 3L Navara due to not trusting the Nissan 3L diesel.

But ... I'd rather place the missus in a new Pajero diesel wagon ... and get an old 75 Series for myself to replace the Suzuki utility. :lol: That way I'm guaranteed that its 'my car'.
Cheers...
Con
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

Con are you talking about the new 3L nissan or the old? The new 3L Navara/Pathfinder is completely different donk.
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Does the ZD30 have a deserved bad reputation ?.

In the turbo intercooled guise as fitted to the 2000 on Patrol there were problems that Nissan seemed to have cured by 2003.That said there are quite a few early ones around with 300,000 plus "Ks".

But the ZD30 as fitted to the Navara is a different engine the block is the same but the ancillaries are very different.

Me I want a 2005 Navara fitted with a "D" chip and 2.5" zaust
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

MISSED wrote:Does the ZD30 have a deserved bad reputation ?.

But the ZD30 as fitted to the Navara is a different engine the block is the same but the ancillaries are very different.
Navara now runs a 2.5 and V6 diesel doesn't it?

What makes me nervous about the ZD30 is that almost every-time I take one of the cars to the mechanic for work ... invariably there's a Patrol on a hoist somewhere. Always diesel ZD30s and at worst there were x4 2004 Patrols in there being worked on. Spoken to diesel mechanics as well and all have steered me clear of the ZD30 in the Patrol, they're a bit less dogmatic on it in the Navara.

Now, the Navara seems to have been much less affected, but I'd not feel comfortable having the missus and child away from home, towing a horse float with the chance of a ZD30 in a Navara detonating.

The newer V6 seems nice ... but friend reports its thirsty ... but at only 5000ks it may yet free up.
Cheers...
Con
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

Of course it's thirsty it has 170 kw or so. Hopefully it get's better I had read they should be around the 8km/100 mark. Anything better than 10 in a car that size should be okay really.

Ryan
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 222rem

Post by andrewk »

Keith, i have an 03 D22 Navara, its got the ZD30 3.0lt turbo motor and i've not had a problem with it. i have heard of there being issues with them but i reckon if your trying to drive a diesel like its a petrol engine your gonna run into trouble sooner or later. i keep revs low and don't try take off at a million miles an hour. be patient with your diesel.

anyway a mate has the D40 with the new v6 turbo diesel with the auto trans and it is very very nice, yeah bit thirstier though but you won't notice. will be my next vehicle once i'm done with my D22... its only done 210,000kms. still good.
GriMo
Site Admin

Post by GriMo »

From memory the issue with the earlier ZD's was to do with oil starvation. Not sure if it was due to issues with galleries, insufficient baffling or shitty pumps. I believe the later models had it sorted
Glenn
375 Cheytac
Favourite Cartridge: 300WM

Post by Glenn »

I have an 04 D22 Navara that I like.
GriMo is right about the oil issue.
My nephew is a mechanic and told me to only use 100% synthetic oil with a
fairly low number, 0-25, 10-30.
Initial start up is the killers!

If you are going to tow a horse float though Keith then I would look at something else. They are ok for smaller stuff.
A bloke I worked with brought a new one to tow a big boat and ended up selling
it for a secondhand Landcruiser.

Glenn
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

Regarding the Triton ... know of a family that runs two of them with the 3.2L DiD motor from the Pajero. One for the missus and a kids commuter and double horse float hauler ... second is a work vehicle and has towed a 1.3T trailer all its life. Guy averages about 70k kilometers per annum. Gearbox on his went at 395k, motor is still going strong at 435k kilometres and using about 0.5L oil per 10,000km. His mate in a 200Series LandCruiser tops up oil at every fuel fill up and its at 160k kilometres. :shock: He'd get into another Triton except for the reduced engine capacity of the latest models ... so he's looking at the likes of the Ranger to stay up around 3L capacity.
Cheers...
Con
GriMo
Site Admin

Post by GriMo »

Just throwing it out there, and im loathe to recommend a brand new Holden to anyone... but if you were going to finance it don't discount the new Colorado either. at .5% Interest you may find yourself in front when you factor in resale value and the total cost of ownership factoring in the higher interest you get slugged with elsewhere/