Diesel - Which do you use which do you refuse to?

Everything that is outdoors and not hunting or shooting. Talk about fishing, 4wd, archery, camping, motorbike riding etc etc.
DSD
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Re: Diesel - Which do you use which do you refuse to?

Post by DSD »

VARMTR wrote:
DSD wrote:Kickinback here is a picture of the green diesel I mentioned in a post in another thread last time everyone discussed diesel. It is not the most accurate representation of its colour but you get the idea(ie it is definitely not yellow). This has been the best diesel both power and economy(noticeably on this 1) wise for me. Interestingly whilst most of my regular servos do not change fuel much there is 2 near home that swaps between this and the yellow stuff.
DSD where abouts did you get that diesel from.
Caltex diesel purchased from a BP
GriMo
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem

Post by GriMo »

DSD wrote:
VARMTR wrote:
DSD wrote:Kickinback here is a picture of the green diesel I mentioned in a post in another thread last time everyone discussed diesel. It is not the most accurate representation of its colour but you get the idea(ie it is definitely not yellow). This has been the best diesel both power and economy(noticeably on this 1) wise for me. Interestingly whilst most of my regular servos do not change fuel much there is 2 near home that swaps between this and the yellow stuff.
MSDS says the colour can range from "water white to fluorescent green". Same shit different colour it'd seem.
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

Con wrote:
VARMTR wrote: No not really unless you live the outback of NT and can drive it hard. But then you use more fuel the best way is to modify. The modifications I did cannot be seen from a visual look they are internal.
EGR blanking plate?
Cheers...
Con
EGR blanking plate will automatically throw a code in a hilux. I believe tritons are the same. There are some chips that prevent it by wiping the code but I'm not a believer in chips.

Easiest way is to fit a Provent as mentioned earlier.

As for colour, it was changed in Vic a few years ago because of a contamination issue which caused huge problems with some transport companies having trucks shit themselves without warning. It is now a distinctive yellow instead of the blue/brown it was.
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 22.250

Post by bigfellascott »

kickinback wrote:
Con wrote:
VARMTR wrote: No not really unless you live the outback of NT and can drive it hard. But then you use more fuel the best way is to modify. The modifications I did cannot be seen from a visual look they are internal.
EGR blanking plate?
Cheers...
Con
EGR blanking plate will automatically throw a code in a hilux. I believe tritons are the same.
And BT-50's too

You can install a Scanguard 2 I think its called that will help wipe it but it will eventually appear again but just a matter of wiping it again (simple to do apparently).

Have a look at your MAP SENSOR - bloody thing will more than likely be covered in caked on gunk and sludge - mine was in the BT-50 - easy enough to clean with some MAF SENSOR CLEANER but certainly gives a good idea of what these EGR things are doing to our motors. :x

THIS IS WHAT IT LOOKED LIKE BEFORE CLEANING

THIS IS WHAT IT SHOULD LOOK LIKE
DSD
.270 Winchester

Post by DSD »

GriMo wrote:
DSD wrote:
VARMTR wrote:
MSDS says the colour can range from "water white to fluorescent green". Same shit different colour it'd seem.
I guess that is one way of covering both bases. Or as you say could just be same stuff but that would infer something different in the mixture and less quality control or ill refined/un clean raw product?
VARMTR
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 22250 & 22KH

Post by VARMTR »

or ill refined/un clean raw product?[/quote]

Not likely, not saying it can't happen but not likely. I know at the Geelong refinery before anything is sent out weather via truck, ship or pumped up to the Newport terminals in Melbourne sample's are taken and sent to the lab for QC. This is after the tank has already been sampled and QC.
VARMTR
.22 WMR

Post by VARMTR »

kickinback wrote:
Con wrote:
EGR blanking plate?
Cheers...
Con
EGR blanking plate will automatically throw a code in a hilux. I believe tritons are the same. There are some chips that prevent it by wiping the code but I'm not a believer in chips.

Easiest way is to fit a Provent as mentioned earlier.

As for colour, it was changed in Vic a few years ago because of a contamination issue which caused huge problems with some transport companies having trucks shit themselves without warning. It is now a distinctive yellow instead of the blue/brown it was.
KB
The egr plate alone in a NS paj with throw up a code as well. As what I learned this is due to the manifold running in a vaccuum. Because with the intake butterfly shut, egr blanked the manifold will go into vaccuum. Hence why I drilled a 12mm hole in the butterfly to prevent this from happening.
DSD
.270 Winchester

Post by DSD »

I doubt it to all i meant was it was a good way to say it could be the colour of either manufacturers or any colour inbetween, for example if you made white lime flavoured cordial and your brother made red lime flavoured cordial and i purchased stock from both of you dependant on price and supply and mixed it together my lime flavoured cordial could range from pure white rite through pink and into the full red spectrum yet still be pure lime flvoured cordial.
DSD
.270 Winchester

Post by DSD »

This diesel discussion will get no where. If you want to know what fuel is in your vehicle get it delivered from a good depo with an analyses to your storage tank at home and cart it with you, otherwise take your chances. If you do enough km and make your vehicle work you will generally work out which servos around your local area are giving you the best fuel. If you want less water in your fuel keep your tank full to reduce condensation, especially after a long trip where your fuel tank and under the vehicle is hot on a cold night.
Jacko9
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 6x45

Post by Jacko9 »

Keith,

I recently had a chat to Denco diesel in Wagga Wagga in regards to this, as we have 1kd hilux's and we all know how they love to let the injectors go regularly. They warned against going with 2 fuel filters due to the fact that the fuel system on a common rail needs to run in such a small area of leeway basically, and suggested a waterscan unit instead. They said if you really insist on 2 fuel filters, basically use a 30 micron for the first in line filter. As has been said, also cleaning your MAF and MAP sensors regularly can help, an egr block and installing a catch can will benefit as well.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Because I have zero interest in understanding any of the mechanical stuff you are discussing here coupled with the fact that I want my ute to last my logic went like this..
Kickin is interested in this stuff, Kickin likes his ute, Kickin uses BP

Simple
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

I think BP once advertised they tested fuel quality every morning? Hence the loyalty to it by some diesel owners. Shell I thought used bio-diesel as a under 5% additive.

Either way, got a tank of Shell last week as a test, I think I can feel a difference. Mate ran Shell and noticed an improvement in engine running, and fuel consumption when towing in particular when he moved to BP sourced diesel.
Cheers...
Con
VARMTR
.22 WMR

Post by VARMTR »

Con wrote:I think BP once advertised they tested fuel quality every morning? Hence the loyalty to it by some diesel owners. Shell I thought used bio-diesel as a under 5% additive.

Either way, got a tank of Shell last week as a test, I think I can feel a difference. Mate ran Shell and noticed an improvement in engine running, and fuel consumption when towing in particular when he moved to BP sourced diesel.
Cheers...
Con
At shell refinery no bio-diesel is mixed, so if some servos are advertising a mix eg like unleaded & ethanol it's done after its left the refinery. But I have yet to see any shell servo doing this or advertising it.
In regards to testing the quality, its also done on a daily basis as well off each unit eg distillation units, cat cracker.
You guys will have worked it out by now I work at the refinery. Lol
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

VARMTR,

So what is your one sentence advice to cdti diesel owners mate?
GriMo
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem

Post by GriMo »

kjd wrote:VARMTR,

So what is your one sentence advice to cdti diesel owners mate?
Make sure your wife doesn't put petrol in it