Oztent RV-3

Everything that is outdoors and not hunting or shooting. Talk about fishing, 4wd, archery, camping, motorbike riding etc etc.
Tackleberry
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 17HMR

Oztent RV-3

Post by Tackleberry »

gday has anyone got one of these and if so are they worth the HIGH price http://www.oztent.com.au/oztentrange/oz ... eBbBHl4RZQ

cheers tac
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Creedmoor

Re: Oztent RV-3

Post by Seddo »

It looks pretty flash.

Im going to grab the hutch to attaches to my gazebo for the missathon.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

Wow, that's some price for a tent....and a 'reasonably' small one. If you want a tent for a lot of camping, that may do though.

I guess it all depends on what you want and how much you're willing to spend. For me, I have the tent a 'large' (aka typical family tent) as a backup. It was bought from BCF and listed as a 6 man Oztrail tent (although the labelling varied from 6 to 10 people - depending on the size of adults). It was listed some years back at a sale price of $199 (or normally $299 retail).

It's probably not the most durable tent but should is reasonably weather resistant for the average camper(s) in wet conditions (noting I use a swag normally). It's held up well in some windy conditions, AND is snake proof (snake didn't make it...).

It's good when you have several others coming along. Mine is the typical thin poly-something material with floor and external fibre glass support rods and integral fly over the top. The two "rooms" are best suited to three adults sleeping in one (with room to move), and the other room for entry and the crap you bring along. Yes, it could hold six (or more) if they were your friends and the zombies were coming... Three in one room, crap in the other is best. Couple of 'awning' like openings over the doors (plus some windows)

FWIW I intend to bring it to the Missathon to ensure I have enough room and somewhat weatherproof floor (assuming no biblical floods - like I've heard of).

Based on the link provided, yours looks to be a deluxe one man (or friendly 2 person) setup. Probably ideal for a couple with a healthy credit card, but a tad expensive for my taste (and the Mrs wouldn't be interested) :(
B4408
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20VT

Post by B4408 »

Yes they are worth the price.
Have an RV4 for 10 years. Quick to set up and pack, water and wind proof. When using the guy ropes will survive a Yass storm or eqivalent.
Down side not a lot of standing room but if you get the awning curtains it is worth it. We had some pin holes in floor and fixed with a bit of tape, now put a tarp down first.
Oztents are expensive but good if you can justify it.

Think of going to the RV4/5 for a bit extra floor space.
The boys still use ours but Jen and I like a bit more comfort now :D .

Bruce
engo
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Post by engo »

We've got one, it's a ripper tent. If you do a lot of camping to justify it they are worth the price. The add ons are good as well, a fly is worth it to avoid condensation etc.

Definitely a couples sort of tent. But with the tag along it could be used as a family tent, that's what we figured we'll end up with once we have kids
Ol 55
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by Ol 55 »

I have a RV5 and a it is a cracker will defiantly survive the worst weather Yass has to offer, ask the 10 or so
that hid under it when the storm passed through. Oh I do use a ground sheet as I have experienced
similar to Bruce on a previous tent. The floor on the Oz is very durable and water proof, just a case
of preventive maintenance. Are the worth it, is for me.
Cheers
Ol 55
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

There you go, three endorsements by happy owners! :D
Tackleberry
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 17HMR

Post by Tackleberry »

i'm glad ya happy fellas but i went back to BCF today to have a good look at this tent and noticed that on the left wall as you walk in

the ally arm you lock in to erect it is broken :( and held together with cable ties now i know if i bought one i would get a new one but

it made look closer at it and the ally frame is pretty flimsy and thin :? now i would like to look at one that is a few years old to see if

they have gone all cheap and nasty to save a few quid pity as i was about to drop the coin on this and the peaked awning and sides

so now i will have to find a shop that has the Blackwolf Turbo 210 and have a look ... :D
mn1863
.222 Remington

Post by mn1863 »

Tackleberry wrote:i'm glad ya happy fellas but i went back to BCF today to have a good look at this tent and noticed that on the left wall as you walk in

the ally arm you lock in to erect it is broken :( and held together with cable ties now i know if i bought one i would get a new one but

it made look closer at it and the ally frame is pretty flimsy and thin :? now i would like to look at one that is a few years old to see if

they have gone all cheap and nasty to save a few quid pity as i was about to drop the coin on this and the peaked awning and sides

so now i will have to find a shop that has the Blackwolf Turbo 210 and have a look ... :D
I've got the black wolf turbo 300, pretty good tent for what it is, obviously a bit bigger than the 210 and I needed a 2 room tent for the missus and kids. Picked it up off gumtree for a really good price, before you buy keep an eye out there as a lot people buy, use once or twice and then sell when they work out campings not for them.

Have a look at snowys.com.au, he has some good tests on a variety of tents and good prices.
What you describe sounds like someone just didn't know how to put up the tent properly and forced rather than looked at instructions. I think the RV range of tents will beat the black wolf for assembly and disassembly time, particularly the latter and particularly of you intend it as just an overnighter tent.
Rabbitz
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 222

Post by Rabbitz »

We've just got a Black Wolf 300 Turbo as well.

Originally were looking at the OzTents but there was one drawback for us.

When the tent is in its bag it is 2m long. Which means it has to be carried on the roof rack - only there are already two kayaks up there...

Just something to be aware of.