Hilux front drive train.....

Everything that is outdoors and not hunting or shooting. Talk about fishing, 4wd, archery, camping, motorbike riding etc etc.
frakka
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 223 Rem

Post by frakka »

The earlier 4WD Hilux (workhorse models) had freewheeling hubs as standard, manual selection on the hub for "free" or "lock". For highway travel the front drive train would remain stationary when in 2WD.

On current vehicles (workhorse models) this does not appear to be the case.
Can anyone tell me:
1. how does the system work on these for dis-engaging / engaging the front drive train and/or hubs ?
2. for highway travel does the front drive train remain stationary when in 2WD ?

Thanks for any help.
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Re: Hilux front drive train.....

Post by MISSED »

As far as I know frakka they are a constant four wheel drive.They have a centre "diff" to help relieve drive line wind up.
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

Mine (SR5) has ADD which is auto disconnecting diff. No center diff, the front axles disconnect from the diff next to the housing. In short, 2wd until you grab the little stick, then ADD gets a signal and locks in the front axles.
frakka
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 223 Rem

Re: Hilux front drive train.....

Post by frakka »

Thanks Missed and KB, I'm referring to the SR but it is the same mechanicals I believe. It sounds like the diff and prop shaft will be at rest for highway driving but the axles turn constantly with the wheels.