Remote control torch/spotlight mount

Gunsmithing & DIY forum for everyone. Enjoy!
Post your projects, questions and advice here.
B4408
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20VT

Remote control torch/spotlight mount

Post by B4408 »

Had an idea for a while to use some of my old RC model plane radio gear to build a wireless spotlight mount. I have a box (well many boxes :lol: ) of RC gear from 20 years of building and flying model planes. Why, because its cold with the window down and it is sleeting outside when I go spotlighting foxes in winter up near Walcha and I like to fiddle and make stuff.
I have used some basic servos and modified the elevation and rotation servos to about 180 degrees, normally 90 degrees. Plenty of info on the web how to do this, quite easy. Used a couple of bearings on the main spindle to make it smooth and reduce play in the movement. The components are 3D printed in ABS plastic. Took a bit of experimenting and testing to get to this stage and has kept the brain ticking over. Using Fusion 360 to do the design and that has been the slowest part but getting better.
Currently has a Convoy L6 mounted, good for 200-250m.
May upgrade the servos to metal geared and higher torque after a test run in a few weeks time. I put it on the ute and went for a drive around our small paddock and the wife had first use of the RC unit and soon had the hang of it. Basically point the stick where you want the light to go :D.
Still designing a mount for my 12V HID spotlight and modifying the light to keep the CofG low.
It is a one off build at this stage but may give some others an idea how to make their own.
Have a look at it in action here:
https://youtu.be/ADiqT3sXWw4

RC torch mount
RC torch mount
Bruce
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Re: Remote control torch/spotlight mount

Post by The Raven »

Pretty whiz bang setup there.

Do you use a radio to control it or have a wired setup?

Now mount a rifle with the torch and you’ll have a genuine Remote Weapon System.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

I marvel at what comes out of your shed when you get the serious thinking cap on. Well done mate, its a beauty. Where do the little motors get their power from, have you thought of having a power source like a 12v battery with a charge cord going to the battery charger, then into the torch itself ? Brilliant.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

Camel wrote:I marvel at what comes out of your shed when you get the serious thinking cap on. Well done mate, its a beauty. Where do the little motors get their power from, have you thought of having a power source like a 12v battery with a charge cord going to the battery charger, then into the torch itself ? Brilliant.
Camel raises a good point. You could run a big ass LiPo battery with a HobbyKing regulator to power both the torch and all the servos etc.

I’m sure I have a decent rated regulator (brand new) to suit that, if you want.

B4408
.270 Winchester

Post by B4408 »

The servos and radio receiver are powered from a 4.8v battery but I am going to run it from 12 v transformer. Looked at running the torch from 12v as well but it is 7.6v and needs about 3-4amps. Batteries are easier for now.
Raven if you have a power supply that would suit I am interested.
Still aiming to mount my modified spotlight on it, should have the parts made this week.
3D printer has been getting a workout lately.

Bruce
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .20-222

Post by Branxhunter »

"Boredom births brilliance"

Wouldn't expect anything less Bruce. Terrific stuff. I hope it has +/- 45 deg vertical pan range if you are going to try it out at Yass :lol: :lol: :lol:

Marcus
mick_762
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308 Norma

Post by mick_762 »

Brilliant work Bruce.
Rabbitz
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 222

Post by Rabbitz »

Fusion 360 did my head in the first time I used it.

Because I illustrate in 2D and do 2D CAD the jump to thinking in 3D was a bit of a mind fuck.

That 3rd dimension can be tricky :)
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

B4408 wrote:The servos and radio receiver are powered from a 4.8v battery but I am going to run it from 12 v transformer. Looked at running the torch from 12v as well but it is 7.6v and needs about 3-4amps. Batteries are easier for now.
Raven if you have a power supply that would suit I am interested.
Still aiming to mount my modified spotlight on it, should have the parts made this week.
3D printer has been getting a workout lately.

Bruce
I have a couple of HobbyKing refs designed to knock down LiPo voltages to either 5V or 6V (nominal servo voltages). I have at least one higher Amp rated unit (maybe 15A) but I’ll check it out. I know the smallest unit is 3A rated. The regs will be fine running off a car battery (input can up to 30V from memory).

The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

Is this of any use for your project?

8AMP UBEC - 15AMP Max. Switchable output to either 5V or 6V (well within Rx and servo tolerances). About 40x30x10mm.

Something that may help with the torch itself. Very compact 25x10x5mm. I’d be doubtful of the ratings but it should be fine for a relay or normal RC loads.

Yours if you want it.

B4408
.270 Winchester

Post by B4408 »

Raven, those look interesting. Torch will run down to 6v supposedly and the switch would save the extra servo. If I can get rid of batteries it would save a lot of weight and be very compact. Will pm you.
Bruce
B4408
.270 Winchester

Post by B4408 »

Been busy designing and making an alternate cradle and mount for my 12v HID spotlight. Firstly I modified my old spotlight by cutting off the handle and making a new tube handle with mounting plate for the HID electronics. I have used a 30mm scope ring with weaver dovetail mount to mount it onto the cradle. I made a new cradle with weaver rail as part of it, allows me to change out spotlight or torch quickly.
modified spotlight
modified spotlight
20200610_181233b.jpg (55.7 KiB) Viewed 10950 times
weaver rail printed into cradle
weaver rail printed into cradle
20200610_201856b.jpg (39.98 KiB) Viewed 10950 times
I have wired it so that I can plug a 12v lead into the mount which then splits to power the spotlight via a servo operated switch and another lead to a voltage reducer 5v( a bit crude now but hoping to get something better in the mail) to power receiver and servos.
It is currently all mounted on a wood base that fits over the headboard of the ute with a clamp to fix it in place.
Video here.
https://youtu.be/thsQJFCBJgI

Bruce
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

You reminded me that there is a smaller UBEC which will easily handle a 4 cell LiPo input (3A max output).

Unfortunately I cant find any in my spares box. It’s a Turnigy 3A unit from HobbyKing. No bigger than a USB thumb drive.

B4408
.270 Winchester

Post by B4408 »

Big thanks to Raven. Parcel in today's mail with a few electronic goodies which will tidy up and simplify the RC setup.
Something to play with this weekend. :D

Bruce
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

Hope it does everything you need.