My Winnie 94 Tru-Oil Stock Refinish

Gunsmithing & DIY forum for everyone. Enjoy!
Post your projects, questions and advice here.
Gadge
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: .270Win

My Winnie 94 Tru-Oil Stock Refinish

Post by Gadge »

G'day folks, here's a brief 'how it were done' with some 'after' pics, of a refinish I did a while back. Created some interest recently over at AHN, so here 'tis for AusVarmint.

The rifle is 1975 built, from the single batch of Standard M94 Carbines in .44/40WIN, that Winchester built exclusively for the Oz market in that year. The woodwork was a bit battered when it came into my hands back in the late 90s; the metalwork and bore looked very good or better, so I snapped it up - as you do.

I was quite chuffed with the way it came up; there was actually quite nice timber underneath Winshitter's 'brown crud' varnish/stain finish... 8)

1. Buttstock and fore-end removed from rifle, buttplate removed, and OEM varnish/stain finish stripped with Methylene Chloride based stripper – Selleys Kwik Strip IIRC – and Jex steel wool pads.

2. Dents/dings steamed out, using water wetted, folded to ~3mm thickness cotton cloth pad and an old clothes iron – one with a thick aluminium soleplate, as that holds heat really well. Some of the deeper ones took quite a few rounds of steaming.

3. Wetted stock with water [metho also works for this], allowed to dry, and 'de-whiskered' with 0000 fine steel wool.
I didn't do any overall sanding at all, as the few dents which wouldn't steam out completely were only small, but deepish. Didn't want to remove the amount of wood I'd have had to take off, to eliminate them.

I did relocate the rear sling swivel base; and to cover up the old hole, made a small curved square filler plate from sheet brass, carefully inletted it, and glued it in place with Acraglas epoxy. Then sanded the plate flush with the wood.

4. Multiple hand-rubbed coats of straight Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil, until the wood pores were filled a bit.
Can't recall just how many coats it took to get to this point, as this job was some time ago! I've still got the same 16oz bottle of Tru-Oil I bought for this job back when, and it's about ¾ full still.

BTW, in this case, the 'hand-rubbing' technique actually involves hard rubbing, i.e. applying enough pressure so that the wood starts to feel warm to the touch.

5. Final rubdown was with 0000 steel wool dampened with Tru-Oil, to take off the gloss and leave a 'satin' final finish; then final wipe-off using a cotton cloth, and allowed to dry.

NB: Be very careful about disposal of any piece of paper, cloth, or steel wool, that has any 'drying oil', like Tru-oil, tung oil or BLO, on it. Best way is to burn them, straight after use. Or at the very least, put them in a metal container, away from anything combustible.

The reason for this is, that these materials can spontaneously combust, from the 'heat of drying' of the oil on them - and this event has been known to start serious workshop fires.

Teaser: full length pic, RHS view

Close-ups:

Last edited by Gadge on Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Re: My Winnie 94 Tru-Oil Stock Refinish

Post by The Raven »

That came up very nice!

I did a tru-oil job on my bolt action shotty some years back. Not perfect but a massive improvement on the old brown fence paint that was on it.
Gnome
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 375 Cheytac

Post by Gnome »

Nice work there restoring a beaut peace back to better looking than original.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Good job mate, I have an itch to scratch with a Win 94 L/A, been pondering a 30/30, or a Marlin 357mag, or a Marlin 44 Mag, or a Win 94 44Mag, or get my old Marlin 444 back, dunno why, its just one of those itches that may get scratched one day. :roll: :lol:
fenring

Post by fenring »

Nice work.
Rabbitz
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 222

Post by Rabbitz »

Nice job.

I have used the same technique on some guitars I built:

Stratocaster Copy Neck (Rock Maple):
Strat Neck Tru-oil 01.jpg
Gibson Les Paul Copy body (Ash):
LP Tru-oil 01.jpg
LP Tru-oil 02.jpg
Gadge
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: .270Win

Post by Gadge »

Thanks, folks.
Rabbitz, very nice work there; and it's interesting that a Google on 'Tru-Oil' brings up a lot of musical instrument pages - luthiers seem to like it too!
Rabbitz
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 222

Post by Rabbitz »

They do, except they get annoyed when they can't get a super-slippery gloss finish.

I have explained that a rifle needs something you can grip with sweaty, wet or bloody hands so super slippery is less than ideal :)
daisy
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 7-08

Post by daisy »

Looks good.
This makes me think it's about time I redo my Marlin 44mag. It's been to a lot of silhouette shoots since I gave it a sand and oil.
morerams
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Post by morerams »

For a high gloss Tru-oil finish use the aerosol Tru-oil for the last coat or two.