Cheetah Barrels

Gunsmithing & DIY forum for everyone. Enjoy!
Post your projects, questions and advice here.
mick_762
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308 Norma

Cheetah Barrels

Post by mick_762 »

No, not the .22 Cheetah or AI version -
But is there a new barrel maker in Australia?

"Please leave a message. Due to the barrel manufacturing noise we can't always answer the phone".

https://m.usedguns.com.au/Product_Desc.aspx?Pid=161181
mistit
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 220 swift ack

Re: Cheetah Barrels

Post by mistit »

yes i saw that too , add another one to the list to try , truth is though id give one a go if you could get it really cheap for the first one but other wise grab a maddco or similar
a long time ago i got talked into an mab now tse ,never ever again im yet to see one that will run with the top barrels but im only to happy to have some one tell me other wise as it would be great if they have picked up there game
maen while keep watching the winners list for cheetah hopefully
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Agree with you Mark. IBI barrels are at a price point to take the risk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 308/6br

Post by macca »

Says Goulburn,hmmm might have to check this out.
A $620 potential tomato stake or a great pleasant surprise.
cheers
mistit
.308 Winchester

Post by mistit »

macca wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:42 pm Says Goulburn,hmmm might have to check this out.
cheers
Trev
You try an ibi and let me know if it makes tomato stake grade and Macca you be the rest pilot for cheetah
I like the sound of this :D
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

mistit wrote:
macca wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:42 pm Says Goulburn,hmmm might have to check this out.
cheers
Trev
You try an ibi and let me know if it makes tomato stake grade and Macca you be the rest pilot for cheetah
I have 2 ibi barrels and will be getting some more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

I’ll be shooting mine for the first time next weekend
Not planning on much of a report with barrel break in and load development

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mistit
.308 Winchester

Post by mistit »

kickinback wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:35 am
mistit wrote:
cheers
Trev

Gday kicken
How accurate is accurate I am genuinely interested to here more about them
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

mistit wrote:
kickinback wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:35 am
mistit wrote:
cheers
Trev

Gday kicken
How accurate is accurate I am genuinely interested to here more about them

Top 4 at our 500fly in shocking wind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

As for performance, i can't speak for IBI or Cheetah, but my Bergara 6mm at the inaugural Mackay Fly in March won HG score at 256.x, high card at 57.2 along with a bunch of good groups, the smallest at 1.4xx" in switching winds and dreadful mirage. My error in the first target (35) in the very best conditions of the day cost a 270+ score. I put that down to not shooting a Fly match for over ten years and poor sighter management that cost me rather than blame barrel performance. Either way, the latest Bergara barrels, those since Ed Shilens' involvement are as good as i have seen and this current one i have is limited only by my ability. Both barrels were $400 each delivered, 6mm, 8 twist, 28 inches long at 1.25" parallel. Groove was 0.2430", bore was 0.2369" measured using Deltronic pins. Both were identical from end to end and are testimony to the CNC honing quality used by the factory.
They are a bit more expensive now and are still very good value but what is brought into the country is somewhat limited in profiles and calibers when i last looked.
The first barrel i had shot tiny groups from its very first outing as can be seen in the thread i put up about it. The second barrel shoots as well but has still not been fully sorted due to time. It showed enormous potential at a recent 600 match where it looks like it will perform better than the first barrel. To be fair, the first barrel was a learner barrel.

If you search the thread, there is a pic of 5 bullets shot at 600 yards with the first barrel. SMKs, Bergers, RDFs, Copperheads and BIBs. No group was over 2 inches with the one powder charge weight of Re15. That is about as good, or friendly, a barrel gets.

Load at the Fly was first barrel in the 636 with 105 RDFs, 34.5 grains Re15, RWS Sinoxid 4033 primers in Lapua cases. The load at 600 is considerably different in the second barrel with 36 grains of Re16, 103 Copperheads and the 450 primer in Lapua cases.
Below is one of the Mackay Fly groups showing exactly how mirage splits groups. Part of life up here.
Attachments
20191027_205003.jpg
mistit
.308 Winchester

Post by mistit »

Tony Z wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:53 pm As for performance, i can't speak for IBI or Cheetah, but my Bergara 6mm at the inaugural Mackay Fly in March won HG score at 256.x, high card at 57.2 along with a bunch of good groups, the smallest at 1.4xx" in switching winds and dreadful mirage. My error in the first target (35) in the very best conditions of the day cost a 270+ score. I put that down to not shooting a Fly match for over ten years and poor sighter management that cost me rather than blame barrel performance. Either way, the latest Bergara barrels, those since Ed Shilens' involvement are as good as i have seen and this current one i have is limited only by my ability. Both barrels were $400 each delivered, 6mm, 8 twist, 28 inches long at 1.25" parallel. Groove was 0.2430", bore was 0.2369" measured using Deltronic pins. Both were identical from end to end and are testimony to the CNC honing quality used by the factory.
They are a bit more expensive now and are still very good value but what is brought into the country is somewhat limited in profiles and calibers when i last looked.
The first barrel i had shot tiny groups from its very first outing as can be seen in the thread i put up about it. The second barrel shoots as well but has still not been fully sorted due to time. It showed enormous potential at a recent 600 match where it looks like it will perform better than the first barrel. To be fair, the first barrel was a learner barrel.

If you search the thread, there is a pic of 5 bullets shot at 600 yards with the first barrel. SMKs, Bergers, RDFs, Copperheads and BIBs. No group was over 2 inches with the one powder charge weight of Re15. That is about as good, or friendly, a barrel gets.

Load at the Fly was first barrel in the 636 with 105 RDFs, 34.5 grains Re15, RWS Sinoxid 4033 primers in Lapua cases. The load at 600 is considerably different in the second barrel with 36 grains of Re16, 103 Copperheads and the 450 primer in Lapua cases.
Below is one of the Mackay Fly groups showing exactly how mirage splits groups. Part of life up here.
Thank you tony
pavlovaw
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 338 Lapua

Post by pavlovaw »

After getting 3 new barrels from a relatively new Australian barrel maker and having all 3 look like copper mines I am very happy to pay an extra 150 bucks for something that is tried and proven in the barrel makers names. Looks like all 3 will end up tomato stakes.
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

Yes it's not about the tooling or the machining or the skill of the machinist. It's about the lapping when it comes to barrels. To this day Neville laps every barrel that MADDCO sells and i believe no-one else does it or knows how it's done. Many of the US makers are same, the lapping process and compounds used are a closely guarded secret. This is the difference between hummer or bummer.
I think this is where Bergara has the edge in this department of selling budget barrels. Ed Shilen was paid a lot of money to develop the lapping techniques that Bergara then turned into a CNC process to gain consistency. The other advantage is that the worlds best barrel steel is only a town away from Bergara's doorstep. Combine the two and in time they will manufacture world class barrels cheaper than anyone else. They just need to offer a better selection, not just blanks that need profiling to fit common rifles, adding extra cost to the end user.
HATCH
Favourite Cartridge: 22/250AI

Post by HATCH »

Tony Z wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:37 am Yes it's not about the tooling or the machining or the skill of the machinist. It's about the lapping when it comes to barrels. To this day Neville laps every barrel that MADDCO sells and i believe no-one else does it or knows how it's done.

Swan barrels are all hand lapped as standard aswell mate. Incidently, I heard a rumour that Cheetah bought some of Sprinters barrel making machinery but the source could be wrong :lol:
pisco
Favourite Cartridge: 222

Post by pisco »

hi i have 2 tse barrels and they shoot bloody good i have a mate that is waiting for a imi barrel to be fitted up will see when it happens