New task

Gunsmithing & DIY forum for everyone. Enjoy!
Post your projects, questions and advice here.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

New task

Post by Camel »

In my smoker thread, someone said they were waiting for my next project, well here it is.

Turning these native cypress pine logs

Into a decorative brush fence to hide the neighbors back yard and old gal tin fence.

Cut the pine on Saturday and had the panels for a few years. Picked a good day to dig post holes, warmest day for a fair while and not one breath of wind, good to work up a sweat......... not Image
LoneRider
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Re: New task

Post by LoneRider »

"Turning these native cypress pine logs" into firewood :lol: :wink:
mick_762
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308 Norma

Post by mick_762 »

Quit ya whinging you runt arsed bugger - I cant see a difference from when I was talking to you this morning in these pictures.

Mind you, there was maybe 40 minutes between phone call and posting of thread....
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

Hey, fair go, I swung off the crowbar till it was too hot for my delicate little fingers to hang onto it, knocked off, had a snooze and got back into it at around 4.30 this arvo, now got three posts stood up and three rails along the bottom for the fence panel to sit on. Dunno why I gave up digging post holes, such joy and fun I haven't had for years. :roll:
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

Taking shape, most woodwork done and one brush panel in place, it will have a roll top added when I finish putting the panels in place and securing them

Getting hotter today Image
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

Panels are in place, need to get out and cut some more brush for the roll top, might do that tomorrow

Timmo84
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Timmo84 »

Looking good there.

Is that cypress pretty hardy?

Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

Timmo84 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:33 pm Looking good there.

Is that cypress pretty hardy?

Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
G'day Timmo, yeah it is very hardy, it was the timber of choice for building just about every wooden building before the Radiata took over, our whole house is made from it, from stumps to rafters, white ants don't like it much, unless it is well rotted and even then they dont really get stuck into it. Unfortunately the last few governments in their wisdom closed down the Cyprus sawmilling industry, there is now only one fella left who mills it, and the only reason they didn't close him down was he had a massive contract to supply the Japanese market and didn't want to pay him out in compensation.
Just about every town west of the great divide had a cyprus mill somewhere and a lot of properties had their own mills cutting their own timber for buildings on the place, and for their reighbours. It really is one of natures finest products.
Now out this way, it has been turned into a woody weed, with billions of small thing whipstick trees that will never turn into anything useful, just crowd themselves out and get burned when the next fire goes through, and of course, the thousands of blokes employed in the industry are gone as well. All this was done to appease a handful of Greenies in the cities.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

Went out and cut the brush I needed for the roll top this morning,

Because I am using it I picked the absolute best I could find, nice young, supple soft regrowth, I had the 250Myra along for the ride, spotted this big bastard panther slinking for a pile of pushed up pine trees at around 80 yards, after the mad scramble out of the Ute, I jacked in a round, followed him in the scope and squeezed off the shot when his head was centred, he walked into it. Very pleased to not miss the only cat seen for months, and the only thing I have shot in months

Rippa having a sniff

Big hole through his shoulder and backbone Image

Gun, dead cat and dog, not many better photos

Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .20-222

Post by Branxhunter »

Fence looks fantastic, much better than the old corrugated fence. Terrific stuff on the cat too - very satisfying I bet.

Marcus
Dunderi
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: .22-250

Post by Dunderi »

Fence looks great!
Shot moggie also :D

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk