Smoker

Gunsmithing & DIY forum for everyone. Enjoy!
Post your projects, questions and advice here.
Rabbitz
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 222

Re: Smoker

Post by Rabbitz »

Is that a hotplate on top of the fire box?
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

On mine, yes but it’s really more a warmer plate as the temps needed for it to be a hot plate make it useless for low and slow bbq.
Last edited by Brad Y on Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rabbitz
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Rabbitz »

Still it's something you don't normally see.
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

Is handy to keep mopping sauce warm and in winter to get the timber going a bit better I can sort of pre heat it a bit or dry it out if it’s damp. Also defrosts meat well too
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Thanks Brad, unfortunately its a bit warm to be sitting by the smoker, it regularly hits over 150f without any fire :shock: That tucker you turned out looks fantastic, and bacon is one of the things closest to the top of my list. :D
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

Recipie is easy mate a cup of salt,1.5 cups brown sugar and a good glug of maple syrup. Rub it all over a bit of pork belly (cut skin off first) and put it into a baking dish. Cover with glad wrap and you will find a hell of a lot of juices come out of the pork. I let it brine for 4 days, turning it over each day so it gets a good decent coat. You will notice it firms up and changes colour. After 4 days take it out, pat it dry and smoke it until it’s 150F internal temp. Soon as it’s done wrap it in gladwrap and put it in the fridge overnight. Next morning slice it up and I dare you not to fry it and eat it straight away
Rabbitz
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Rabbitz »

Hi Brad,

When you say that you brine it for four days, is that in the dry brine or do you also do a wet brine?

Cheers
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Brad Y wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:23 am Recipie is easy mate a cup of salt,1.5 cups brown sugar and a good glug of maple syrup. Rub it all over a bit of pork belly (cut skin off first) and put it into a baking dish. Cover with glad wrap and you will find a hell of a lot of juices come out of the pork. I let it brine for 4 days, turning it over each day so it gets a good decent coat. You will notice it firms up and changes colour. After 4 days take it out, pat it dry and smoke it until it’s 150F internal temp. Soon as it’s done wrap it in gladwrap and put it in the fridge overnight. Next morning slice it up and I dare you not to fry it and eat it straight away
Thanks Brad, will keep that one in mind. On another note, I notice you have named your smoker, picked a good name for it. :wink: :lol:
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

That’s the brand mate :lol:

Only problem with a stick burner this time of year... can’t use the bloody thing with all the fire bans on