First Knife from scratch

Gunsmithing & DIY forum for everyone. Enjoy!
Post your projects, questions and advice here.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Re: First Knife from scratch

Post by The Raven »

I like that a lot!
daisy
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 7-08

Post by daisy »

Looking good James you'll be pumping them out like Deermaster soon

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

B4408
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20VT

Post by B4408 »

That looks good Bimbo
barryb
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 17 ackley hornet

Post by barryb »

Impressive James.
dashooter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Wby Magnum's :)

Post by dashooter »

Nice work James.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bimbo
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 17HH

Post by bimbo »

A couple more I've knocked out over the past few weeks. First one is a petty chef knife made from 2mm 14c28 stainless with myrtle burl and resin handle. Handle is from the same block as a few other knives in our kitchen.

The 2nd one is my first carbon steel knife. I have a sheet of 3mm 1084 so I figured I'd see what it's like to use an maintain one in the kitchen. 8inch blade with a spalted sassafras handle. The block had a big crack through the guts if it is I filled it with transparent resin with a holographic glitter mixed in. I also used a slice of this resin as a spacer.
Pretty happy with how it turned out and it cuts well.

Enjoy
JamesImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

deermasterhunter
7mm08 Rem
Favourite Cartridge: 358ME

Post by deermasterhunter »

You are just going great guns James. Mate those knives are superb. The scales your making are great, just love them. Now all you need to do is sell a few and pay for a nice kiln from Gameco, their only just under three grand :roll:
Keep up the great work mate, I have missed answering on this thread lately, must keep my eye on it more now.
Cheers Ted :D
bimbo
300 Win Mag

Post by bimbo »

deermasterhunter wrote:You are just going great guns James. Mate those knives are superb. The scales your making are great, just love them. Now all you need to do is sell a few and pay for a nice kiln from Gameco, their only just under three grand :roll:
Keep up the great work mate, I have missed answering on this thread lately, must keep my eye on it more now.
Thanks Ted. Getting to the point that I would be happy to sell a knife knowing that it will hold up. Also got a bunch of wood stabilising to make some more scales but my vacuum pump shat the bed so had to wait for my new one to arrive.
A kiln is definitely on the cards as it will provide a much more consistent heat treat as well as open up the ability to use many more steels but me being a tight arse I wont fork out for a new kiln and have been looking into diy options Image

Cheers
James

deermasterhunter
7mm08 Rem

bimbo wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:57 pm
deermasterhunter wrote:You are just going great guns James. Mate those knives are superb. The scales your making are great, just love them. Now all you need to do is sell a few and pay for a nice kiln from Gameco, their only just under three grand :roll:
Thanks Ted. Getting to the point that I would be happy to sell a knife knowing that it will hold up. Also got a bunch of wood stabilising to make some more scales but my vacuum pump shat the bed so had to wait for my new one to arrive.
A kiln is definitely on the cards as it will provide a much more consistent heat treat as well as open up the ability to use many more steels but me being a tight arse I wont fork out for a new kiln and have been looking into diy options Image

Cheers
James

I know the feeling James, I heat treated stainless and a few different steels in the gas forge and was able to keep the temp pretty spot on by playing with the air. But its still hard to treat some steels especially like the ones that need 25 minute soak etc. I love the kiln and hate it at the same time as it takes an hour ad a half to get to temp first up, it's slower than the forge for a lot of stuff and you have to wrap the knives in metal foil to stop getting the rough surface that would take you an hour to sand smooth again. That foil cost me $265 for 25feet nearly ten bucks a foot, but it's worth it as you can finish a stainless knife right up to sanded. There are things you have to watch for, like the steel foil will stick to the blade that bad you have to grind it off if you don't coat the steel with talcum powder first, that is if you have already sanded the blade smooth first.
All good fun though, just expensive fun. I reckon if I added up all I have spent of stuff to make knives its well over nine grand Then you wonder why people say hand made knives are expensive. :roll:
Keep up the great work mate and I bet you have a kiln by this time next year, you just know you want one don't you :lol:
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

So now I have to ignore posts from Bimbo

dashooter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Wby Magnum's :)

Post by dashooter »

trevort wrote:So now I have to ignore posts from Bimbo

Not if you keep possible future purchases on the downlow. Lol

daisy
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 7-08

Post by daisy »

trevort wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:08 pm So now I have to ignore posts from Bimbo

You can always say you only bought it to help a mate out who needed some cash, to feed his family.
deermasterhunter
7mm08 Rem

trevort wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:08 pm So now I have to ignore posts from Bimbo

Can can always buy one and say you wanted to help him buy a new kiln so he could make more for you. :lol:
bimbo
300 Win Mag

Post by bimbo »

trevort wrote:So now I have to ignore posts from Bimbo

I did notice that in your 'knife family' photo that there wasn't any flash kitchen knives Image or perhaps Kerriet would love a custom knife gift haha

trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Ah , the question was just asked. The answer was not positive