what type/brand of paint is used on a fiberglass rifle stock ??

Gunsmithing & DIY forum for everyone. Enjoy!
Post your projects, questions and advice here.
lee_enfield223
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 223rem

what type/brand of paint is used on a fiberglass rifle stock ??

Post by lee_enfield223 »

Hi All
Picking up my Manners EH1 stock tomorrow for my Tikka T3X CTR and it's in OD Green, well that's ok but I was thinking of braking up that colour a bit with a brush and some other colours like coyote tan ect , I am considering Duracoat ,and cerakote air dry, but would appreciate any idea's or other methods that you have used to paint a Carbon fiber/fiberglass stock that Manners has already painted. anyway here's a picture of what I will be working on.
od green.jpg
od green.jpg (4.6 KiB) Viewed 3930 times
lee_enfield223
.17 HMR

Re: what type/brand of paint is used on a fiberglass rifle stock ??

Post by lee_enfield223 »

Well i thought that you guys would have had some thoughts??? So I emailed manners stocks, and here's their answer.

You can use any paint !! Just don't bake !!!!
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Creedmoor

Post by Seddo »

I've never painted one. A mate has used air dry cerakote.
lee_enfield223
.17 HMR

Post by lee_enfield223 »

Thanks sedo I may try the airdry cerakote as the colours are what I am after :D anyway here's the rifle , I won't be using the muzzle brake
Attachments
shrink ctr.jpg
albow
.257 Roberts

Post by albow »

I have never painted a manners though on all my composite stocks I have used 2 pack automotive paints.
bimbo
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 17HH

Post by bimbo »

depends how durable you want it, easiest and cheapest but least durable would be some acrylic automotive spray cans, next would be 2 pack auto/industrial paint which I believe you can get in spray cans as well but i am guessing it would be pretty pricey. then you get into the cerecoats duracoat type paints.
Fiberglass will take paint pretty well after a good scuff up. I would prime and then colour and depending on colour maybe a clear over the top. A good industrial 2 pack I have used on metal stuff is LIC 40 made by valspar. its a catalised enamal and no need for primer - on steel its bare metal with 80grit sanded not sure about other surfaces but from memory the paint is something like $40/lt and you can get it in full gloss, semi or flat/matt
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

If you are going for a nice hard wearing single colour then you might want to consider some of the paints intended for plastic models. Specifically, something in the Tamiya Synthetic Lacquer spray cans. It's a damn good paint and can finish extremely well....lots of colour choices. Tamiya spray can paint will adhere to just about anything (if prepped/cleaned).

On the other hand, if you have some prior spray painting experience and are doing something special then there is a world of possibilities.
Glenn
375 Cheytac
Favourite Cartridge: 300WM

Post by Glenn »

Seddo wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:50 pm I've never painted one. A mate has used air dry Cerakote.
This is the way to go!

Glenn
lee_enfield223
.17 HMR

Post by lee_enfield223 »

thanks guys for the information :D :D just have to contact slr paints in brisbane and get some airdry cerakote , and thanks Bimbo for your thoughts as well I do agree automotive two pack is very durable , but getting the camo colours might be troublesome , I agree with your prep advice, every paint needs a good prep job.
GregT
Favourite Cartridge: 6br

Post by GregT »

Valspar industrial 2 pack paint works brilliantly. You can mix it up thin to get a smooth finish but also leave it a bit thicker and drop the air pressure and put some texture on the stock. It's tough as nails as well.

I've done a heap of stocks with it including some plastic stuff (with plastic primer) and it just stays put.
lee_enfield223
.17 HMR

Post by lee_enfield223 »

thanks Ill look up valspar paints :D