T3 CNC inletting

Gunsmithing & DIY forum for everyone. Enjoy!
Post your projects, questions and advice here.
Ned Kelly
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6PPC

T3 CNC inletting

Post by Ned Kelly »

G'day All.
Well we've made very good progress on the CNC model for the Tikka T3 varmint inlet today. Apart from a couple of very minor dimensional tweaks, it is 98% good to go.
This one is a left handed inlet but for all the right handed shooters a quick mirror image flip and we can cut a right hand inlets too. I'm expecting that you would need little or no work done to fit a stock with this inlet to your rifle.
Although I would strongly recommend a skim bedding job as a minimum for any proper fit of a stock to a factory rifle. Only a custom hand fitted stock would be unlikely to ever need a bedding job.
The pictures show the setup in the CNC router as #1, #2 is a partially finished inlet and #3 is the finished inlet where an action will sit comfortably in it. It will show some minor hand tool work but that has been allowed for in the CAD model. I'll do another full test run after the tweaks to check for accuracy, FWIW after many detailed measurements there was less than 1mm that needed to be tweaked for in any direction. I think 3 areas ( safety catch recess, back of the trigger and the bolt handle) were trimmed with gouges and chisels. Being lazy, I expect the tweaks to have fixed those issues! I'll update the actual machining time tomorrow but it will be around 1.5 hours or less even with manual tool changes and setup times included.
Who can see the one booboo? No prizes, sorry!
Stay tuned as very soon I'll be using this for a MBR stock for a client.
Cheerio Ned aka Geoff
Attachments
T3 inlet 1.jpg
T3 inlet 1.jpg (25.16 KiB) Viewed 324 times
T3 inlet 2.jpg
T3 inlet 3.jpg
mick_762
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308 Norma

Re: T3 CNC inletting

Post by mick_762 »

Thats looking bloody good Ned, now with a custom stock, and Kickenback's trigers systems - the T3 just made Barbie look fat and old :mrgreen: :lol:
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

I'm so pleased to have a local bloke who will mix and match to achieve what I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

kickinback wrote:I'm so pleased to have a local bloke who will mix and match to achieve what I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I trained him well eh :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: