Gun Blueing

Gunsmithing & DIY forum for everyone. Enjoy!
Post your projects, questions and advice here.
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Gun Blueing

Post by MISSED »

What is the best Gun Blueing kit available.

Hoppes
G96
Birchwood Casey
Vans

or another
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Re: Gun Blueing

Post by The Raven »

Wow, that's a loaded question.

I've used the Birchwood Casey and found it did a decent job on my old Sportco, but that was also my first attempt at bluing and I wasn't after perfection. The results I got weren't as good as a factory blue but they were more than adequate for an old rifle. The end result had a little patina that could easily pass as original with wear. However, I could probably do it much better now.

I think the secret to all after market bluing kits is the preparation you put into it. I also cheated and used a bit of heat so it wasn't quite a 'cold blue'.

Oh, the Birchwood Casey blue remover was amazing effective....just don't get it near anything you want to remain blued!!!!
Steve 2141
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 6PPC

Post by Steve 2141 »

try this link to a post on AHN you can buy the bluing compound from AFRO408

cheers

http://www.australianhunting.net/index. ... ic=65723.0
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Andrew, I have used Birchwood Casey kits, one liquid, which I didn't like, the other paste, which I do. My first rifle cleanup project was my old mans Lithgow single shot at the age of around 16 or 17, the blue job done with the paste is still very good after 35 or so years. They may have changed the formula, I don't know, but Keith is sending me a bottle of the paste to do the barrel on my 7-08. Prep work is the key to a good job, you will know this from your stock work.

Buffy did his 303 with the paste and it came out pretty good. :D
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

I have seen some gear dine with the brownells x..... something looks the shit! As with all bluing obviously the prep is kost important. Dad did his old Lithgow recently and it came up pretty good with the birchwood casey stuff.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

I used the b/c liquid and it worked best on my sportco trigger guard, the barrel was good but not as nice.

I've also tried the paste in the tube. Good for touch ups IF you can get the metal nice and clean.

Having used both I think the liquid is better BUT it all comes down to the preparation. That's the real key.

Can't say I've seen anyone else's cold bluing but I'd be interested to see how it went.
lowndsie
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by lowndsie »

I like the G96 paste but I've only ever used it for patch jobs. I've tried the BC liquid for full barrel jobs and didn't like it. I think it's more about the prepping that goes into the metal work rather than the product used perhaps?
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

lowndsie wrote:I like the G96 paste but I've only ever used it for patch jobs. I've tried the BC liquid for full barrel jobs and didn't like it. I think it's more about the prepping that goes into the metal work rather than the product used perhaps?
100% agreement with the G96 and prepping comments. I did my Win 320 with G96, and it came up well for a first attempt.