Lining a gun safe

Gunsmithing & DIY forum for everyone. Enjoy!
Post your projects, questions and advice here.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Lining a gun safe

Post by Camel »

Got given a slightly water damaged gun safe in June. I decided to give it an internal make over, lining it with tongue and groove radiate pine boards, will be enough room for six rifles in racks. I don't like the idea of having them jammed in and stored in gun bags. My old safe has been done in a similar fashion and I can get 8 in it, but have to have the bolts open so they go in behind the scopes on the rifle next to it.

Couple of photos of the start, Ill get some more as I progress.

1 Bare safe
001 (Medium).JPG
2 With the base made and fitted
002 (Medium).JPG
TBC
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Re: Lining a gun safe

Post by Knackers »

I don't know. That Simpson desert look is appealing. :wink:
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Yeah that look is all the fashion on Houses around Canberra looks like shit in my opinion.

Good score mate where did you pic that up from not at the Cat Hardware I hope.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

Knackers wrote:I don't know. That Simpson desert look is appealing. :wink:
Yeah....but,.....nah :D
MISSED wrote:Yeah that look is all the fashion on Houses around Canberra looks like shit in my opinion.

Good score mate where did you pic that up from not at the Cat Hardware I hope.
Nah, this bloke I know, bit of a looser really, just up and gave it to me. got me fucked why though :mrburns:
DSD
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by DSD »

Camel wrote: My old safe has been done in a similar fashion and I can get 8 in it, but have to have the bolts open so they go in behind the scopes on the rifle next to it.
Am I correct then in assuming that your firearms are stored with your bolts always in the cocked position with pressure on the firing pin and spring or do you need to push them forward for full pressure? Has this ever given you any trouble?
frakka
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 223 Rem

Post by frakka »

Lined with carpet, shields the gear from bolt heads, nuts and washers. Keeps the rifles separated from cold moisture attracting steel and gentle on the finish. Of course this will depend on the climate of your locality.

Cramped spaces and open bolt compressed springs are not a good look :shock:
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

DSD wrote:
Camel wrote: My old safe has been done in a similar fashion and I can get 8 in it, but have to have the bolts open so they go in behind the scopes on the rifle next to it.
Am I correct then in assuming that your firearms are stored with your bolts always in the cocked position with pressure on the firing pin and spring or do you need to push them forward for full pressure? Has this ever given you any trouble?

You are correct in the first assumption, and no I have never had any problems with firing pin spring loosing tension.
frakka wrote:Lined with carpet, shields the gear from bolt heads, nuts and washers. Keeps the rifles separated from cold moisture attracting steel and gentle on the finish. Of course this will depend on the climate of your locality.

Cramped spaces and open bolt compressed springs are not a good look :shock:
Climate out here is hot and dry, the rust in the safe was caused by rain getting in when it was on the scrap metal heap. It had been lined with fire proofing (gyprock) that got wet, this was all removed as was the carpet.
I have no trouble with rust here. Humidity is generally very low. Open bolt compressed springs may not look good, but so far in 40 odd years of shooting it hasn't caused me any troubles.

When the safe had the rack installed I will be able to close the bolts in the "Eased spring" position, my other safe will also be re-arranged so it will hold 6 rifles instead of 8, giving me a bit more room between them. They are both classed as 10 gun safes, but that is just stupid.
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

I agree with the ratings Camel,ten rifles if you jamb them in with your boot and quickly shut the door before they fall out.
WARDY91
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Post by WARDY91 »

This here is what your after 20 guns comfortably.
Attachments
image.jpg
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

WARDY91 wrote:This here is what your after 20 guns comfortably.
That's very nice. How long until you fill it?
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

Yep, definitely nice set up, you have a fair way to go to fill it, but I guess you have plenty of time left. :D My safes are too shallow to put in racks like that.
Gnome
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 375 Cheytac

Post by Gnome »

If....No.....WHEN I can get the funds together, I will be chasing up one of these beauties http://www.bartelarmory.com/vaults/vault-360/ in either the 10 but most likely 21 capacity :)
WARDY91
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Post by WARDY91 »

Oh don't worry that's an old photo there's not as much room left anymore. And I now need a rack for all the switch barrels there's nearly as many of them.
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

Hey Wardy is that a bolt Mossberg I see in there :shock: .....................nasty bits of gear they are :)
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

chris.tyne wrote:Hey Wardy is that a bolt Mossberg I see in there :shock: .....................nasty bits of gear they are :)
You're like a few people I know who own bolt-shotguns. 8) Don't they look cool with those variable chokes. :evil: