Rem 700 action identification

Gunsmithing & DIY forum for everyone. Enjoy!
Post your projects, questions and advice here.
Flip
.243 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 VT

Rem 700 action identification

Post by Flip »

Was wondering if some one could please inform me the best way to work out what size Rem action my brother has.

I've not had much to do with reminghtons.

It's an older Rem 700 BLD that's been rechambered to 17 Rem from apparently a 222 rem.

The thing that dose not make sense is that it came with a wooden spacer about a half inch long in the back of the floor plate magazine. And the mag spring is about 20mm shorter than the floor plate.

He has been experiancing feeding issues with it. From what I have been able to find out is it was more than likely a 4 shot to start with but be bugged if it likes more than two in it. 3 is ok but struggles to pick up and feed the second round.

The f@$&ken wooden block was a pain in the back side as every time you open the floor plate the thing would fall out. so the other night I measured it up and made a new block out of bushing nylon that is a slight push fit and holds itself securely in place. That bit is sorted out but the feeding is still a bit of an issue.

I have been trolling for as much info as possible on this and it seems that it is quite common. Spring tension seems to be the main cause.

Any one know much on out this.

He is keen to put an after market atlasworx BDM kit on it but we want to make sure it's a short action
adamjp
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Re: Rem 700 action identification

Post by adamjp »

Measure the distance between the action screws.

A short action is 6.5 inches between screws, the long is 7.35.
Flip
.243 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 VT

Post by Flip »

Cheers mate will call him now
JasonF
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm-08

Post by JasonF »

It will be a short action - they didn't make the 223 sized small bolt face in a long action.

The DBM upgrade should work well. The Accuracy International 10 shot 223 plastic magazines feed like butter with any of the 223 family.