Varmint barrel removed lithgow now on Anschutz 1416

Gunsmithing & DIY forum for everyone. Enjoy!
Post your projects, questions and advice here.
New to 223
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Re: Varmint barrel fitted to lithgow 101 22lr test target

Post by New to 223 »

My Sako P94S Varmint shoots as good as that, I guess that's why their so highly sought after, paid $920.00 for it brand new in 2002 I think.
Attachments
IMG_3062.JPG
Rabbitz
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 222

Post by Rabbitz »

It looks like it likes the sub-sonic target stuff, especially Tenex. I guess because it has a match barrel, this makes sense.

I am not being critical here, because shooting bug holes is loads of fun (and a drain on the wallet :lol: ) but testing with sub-sonic target ammunition doesn't seem to make sense.

Unless you are planning to use sub-sonic target ammunition in the field, would it not be cheaper and more meaningful to test and tune using supersonic hunting ammunition?

(I do understand that some ranges only allow subs, and I imagine the tunnel at SISC is one of those places).

As I have said above this is not criticism, and afterall, shooting tiny little one-hole groups is a fun day out. However, I've struggled getting clean and humane kills in the past using target ammunition, which makes me wonder about the value of testing a hunting rifle with it.
New to 223
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by New to 223 »

Mines going to be my long range bunny buster, coupled with the half mildot ret and using chairgun, I should be good out to 125 yards.
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .20-222

Post by Branxhunter »

lee_enfield223 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:52 pm well I took the rifle(lithgow 101) to cecil park Olympic shooting centre and set the rifle up in their balistic test range and the rifle was mounted in a machine rest here's some pics of a 10 shot groups at 50m plus some other pics
That is an impressive target.

Marcus
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Rabbitz I only use subs in my 22 for hunting rabbits on small properties. Winnie subs kill rabbits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

I use SK magazine or SK HV. Both shoot very nice groups, with the Magazine stuff fractionally tighter at a much lower price point.

I tend to use the magazine for the range (cost vs volume fired) and HV for varminting.

As an aside, has anyone seen SK Magazine (sold in the cans) available anywhere? Seems the local outlets don't have it anymore.
barryb
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 17 ackley hornet

Post by barryb »

The Raven wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:52 pm I use SK magazine or SK HV. Both shoot very nice groups, with the Magazine stuff fractionally tighter at a much lower price point.

I tend to use the magazine for the range (cost vs volume fired) and HV for varminting.

As an aside, has anyone seen SK Magazine (sold in the cans) available anywhere? Seems the local outlets don't have it anymore.
TR - haven't seen any in the shops for years , that's if your referring to the baked beans type can. I was able to grab a couple of cans some time back but unfortunately seen nothing since. My poor old Brno & Toz just loved them.
Barry
lee_enfield223
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 223rem

Post by lee_enfield223 »

the reason I tested the rifle with target ammo was simply because I don't hunt with it and it's used in three position target matches at 50 down to 25m so I wanted to know what it loved, But I haven't even fired hv ammo in it but one day I may do it and post the groups, my error!! I did shoot some power point ammo once, it only shot into .4's at 50m
lee_enfield223
.17 HMR

Post by lee_enfield223 »

forgot to say thats a nice looking sako :D
Rabbitz
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 222

Post by Rabbitz »

lee_enfield223 wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:08 pm the reason I tested the rifle with target ammo was simply because I don't hunt with it and it's used in three position target matches at 50 down to 25m so I wanted to know what it loved, But I haven't even fired hv ammo in it but one day I may do it and post the groups, my error!! I did shoot some power point ammo once, it only shot into .4's at 50m
Ooops my mistake.

I thought I read that it was destined to be a long distance bunny buster.

So just do what everyone else does... Ignore my incoherent ranting! :D
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

barryb wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:54 pm
The Raven wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:52 pm I use SK magazine or SK HV. Both shoot very nice groups, with the Magazine stuff fractionally tighter at a much lower price point.

TR - haven't seen any in the shops for years , that's if your referring to the baked beans type can. I was able to grab a couple of cans some time back but unfortunately seen nothing since. My poor old Brno & Toz just loved them.
Barry
Yep, my Toz/Winchester loves the SK stuff!

SK "baked beans" were still around locally about 6-8 months ago, and the LGS also stocked their other types.

However, looking around the web it seems there is new labelling and ridiculous pricing. That probably explains why no-one is selling it. Can't see a justification for some of the advertised prices...
lee_enfield223
.17 HMR

Post by lee_enfield223 »

well this may come as a shock to some but I have traded in the lithgow 101, I had the super accurate barrel removed and the original refitted , and bought an Anschutz 1416HB yes with the beaver tail forend, I still had the odd ejection issue that was driving me crazy(tried all the fixes) this was maybe 1 in 30 rounds but I need an ultra reliable rifle, yes anschutz have had that issue but a few mates had these fixed with ease. I liked the stock and handling of the 101 but sometimes it's like flogging a dead horse...
see the attached pic of one the same as I have bought.
Oh I looked at the sako in 22lr and it did appeal to me but I already have a brno mod 1 with a copy of a sako stock so it's nice to have something different.
Attachments
1416hb.jpg
chappo555
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmbr

Post by chappo555 »

Whatcha doing with the barrel now you sold the 101? I have a 101...
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

chappo555 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:12 pm Whatcha doing with the barrel now you sold the 101? I have a 101...
:lol: :lol: :lol: Get in quick mate. :D
lee_enfield223
.17 HMR

Post by lee_enfield223 »

The barrel might get fitted to the anschutz by my smith if I can't get good enough group's but I'll keep you guy's informed