Fancy Pattern Damascus from Cable

Gunsmithing & DIY forum for everyone. Enjoy!
Post your projects, questions and advice here.
Rabbitz
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 222

Fancy Pattern Damascus from Cable

Post by Rabbitz »

I have exactly no idea why this appeared on my work you tube suggestions, especially as I was searching for answers on how to get around a software problem, but there it was.

This guy makes a controlled pattern Damascus blade out of bits of an elevator cable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q1CvxRYbz0
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Re: Fancy Pattern Damascus from Cable

Post by trevort »

I enjoyed that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ol 55
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by Ol 55 »

trevort wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:23 am I enjoyed that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Me too
Thanks for sharing
Gary
deermasterhunter
7mm08 Rem
Favourite Cartridge: 358ME

Post by deermasterhunter »

Rabbitz wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:43 pm I have exactly no idea why this appeared on my work you tube suggestions, especially as I was searching for answers on how to get around a software problem, but there it was.

This guy makes a controlled pattern Damascus blade out of bits of an elevator cable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q1CvxRYbz0
Nice Rabbitz I have some cable here that I already have it hammered into a rough shaped block, Yet to hammer out a bit more and make a knife from it. But what I need is that blokes power hammer and power press. Sure would make it easier than smacking over and over again with a hammer. One day I will finish it off ,but I don't think the steel cable even though its good steel will make a very good knife. More decorative than usable in my opinion. I might wait for somebody that likes to hammer to come around and hammer it a bit more before I try finishing it :lol:
Rabbitz
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 222

Post by Rabbitz »

I am just amazed that with all that bashing and heating and bashing and heating and bashing and heating that he could keep track of where the pattern would end up.

And having dealt with elevator cable in it's 'natural state' I can say with authority "It weeelll cut". Opened myself up more than once on stray strands. :lol: :lol: :lol:
lee_enfield223
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 223rem

Post by lee_enfield223 »

If you guys look at his equipment it all looks to be made from bits of scrap that he's put together or made up from new bits,,, I am wondering if that was bone powder he was putting on the steel ???? I like the way he hardened only the cutting part of the blade by dipping it in oil , anyway all I can say it he has a lot of skill !!!! and I passed on that link to a blacksmith I know.
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

Borax as a flux.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
lee_enfield223
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 223rem

Post by lee_enfield223 »

They use borax to kill roaches :D thanks for the information, I have never heard of borax used as a flux, I used to surface harden with hardite, which I am told contained arsenic, but these days even the welders are using filters on their faces, makes me wonder if cancer is waiting for me round the corner :roll:
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

lee_enfield223 wrote:They use borax to kill roaches :D thanks for the information, I have never heard of borax used as a flux, I used to surface harden with hardite, which I am told contained arsenic, but these days even the welders are using filters on their faces, makes me wonder if cancer is waiting for me round the corner :roll:
Pretty sure it would have contained cyanide rather than arsenic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
DSD
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by DSD »

lee_enfield223 wrote:They use borax to kill roaches :D thanks for the information, I have never heard of borax used as a flux, I used to surface harden with hardite, which I am told contained arsenic, but these days even the welders are using filters on their faces, makes me wonder if cancer is waiting for me round the corner :roll:
Borax is an American thing, in australia they used to use either sand or nothing, it also stuffs/eats away your furnace.
Most people also put to much borax on and do it outside of the furnace but if you do it inside the furnace you have less chance of scale or carbon stuffing your job. I am by no means an expert on anything but there is a free tip for anyone trying damascus, another is wait for the borax to dance/run across the job before welding, it helps to wear dark glasses.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

MISSED

Post by MISSED »

Did Corin or Brett teach you that ?
DSD
.270 Winchester

Post by DSD »

MISSED wrote:Did Corin or Brett teach you that ?
No.

MISSED

Post by MISSED »

This is like pulling teeth so who did.
DSD
.270 Winchester

Post by DSD »

MISSED wrote:This is like pulling teeth so who did.
My father taught me about the flux being American and eating your furnace.
Hence why i had to make my own furnace, he wouldn't let me use his.(he now uses mine more than his own and has claimed it)
Matt from everliegh taught me to flux in the furnace,not to use to much and to wait for the borax to do it's thing and tell you the job is hot enough.
There is some really good damascus knife makers that only use the borax as a tell so they can accurately know if the job is hot enough.

DSD
.270 Winchester

Post by DSD »

MISSED wrote:Did Corin or Brett teach you that ?
Make you a deal, next time you are spending a lazy Saturday in sydney let me know and i will prepare some 15n20 and 1075 and we can make some Damascus.
If you finish it quick enough we can even crack out the 2x72 rough shape it and heat treat in the oven. You probably won't have time to finish gringing and temper though