It's Alive

Gunsmithing & DIY forum for everyone. Enjoy!
Post your projects, questions and advice here.
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

It's Alive

Post by MISSED »

A couple of years ago I purchased a Solarforce M9

An 18650 torch with a Cree XML t6 u2 led .This is the same led as the olight mx3javelot but the Olights led is deformed

Usual 4 mode with sos and strobe :roll:

Great torch or was

I had an extender tube and decided to extend the run time by adding a third battery.I did not know it at the time but the driver is only good for 7.4 volts
Adding the extra battery fried the resistor

Unable to buy a oem driver or led or for that matter any spares.I started to do some searching on the interwebs.

And found BLF these blokes are just like us real people only instead of rifles and such these blokes buy and modify lights

I ordered a Cree XHP 70 (This emitter has 4 xml leds on the one die)6 volt at 5000k
Also a 4.5 mah single mode buck driver.This driver will allow me to run 3 batteries for extra runtime but power the led at 6volts.

I soldered it together this afternoon dropped in two Panasonic 3400mah 18650 batteries hit the switch and we had light lots and lots and lots of light
IMG_4165.JPG
In this ceiling bounce pic you can make out the shape of the cross in the middle of the die.The dreaded donut which I had read about after I had ordered the led.An orange peel reflector would hide this but the standard smooth M9 reflector doesn't.

I will take some beam shoots after we get home from the club
Timmo84
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Re: It's Alive

Post by Timmo84 »

That is awesome. Great work

Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fenring

Post by fenring »

Interesting mod.

The Cree xp-l hi (as found in that Olight) will work quite well in the M9. Run at about 3A. I put one in my Solarforce Pro-1, and even at 2.8A it throws pretty good.
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Well after dinner we had to go over for coffee and a chat with friends so no pics but we did call past the AFL ground and it is hard to describe how much light this led emits.It easily lights up gum trees st 400 m plus as well as giving a huge flood of light in the foreground
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

MISSED wrote:Well after dinner we had to go over for coffee and a chat with friends so no pics but we did call past the AFL ground and it is hard to describe how much light this led emits.It easily lights up gum trees st 400 m plus as well as giving a huge flood of light in the foreground
No it didn't.

There are no pics, so it didn't happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fenring

Post by fenring »

Cool!