lee collet die

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

lee collet die

Post by MISSED »

Was wondering if any one has used a lee neck collet die .having trouble on my simplex master press.The instructions say to screw die in 2 turns after cotacting shell holder but on my old press it seems to tight ?
native hunter
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: .22lr

Post by native hunter »

I cant remember the exact procedure, but I know they are a strange die to use as they feel like they are not doing the job.
Best to get a set verniers and measure neck size before and after and see if its working.
It does not actually have a mandrel that sizes the neck as it enters and returns but rather a expanding and contracting outer that presses against the mandrel to size the case.
I actually dont like the dies but they seem to work well.
I have one in .308
Regards.
Model70
25/06 Remington

Post by Model70 »

Mate I use them and think they're great. I think my ones are set at around 1 1/2 turns over, try one turn over, size a case and dont be worried about using a bit of force to do so, as they rely on the force to make the collet size the neck.
Then check the neck and you will see the tool mark the die has left.
When doing mine for the first time it showed only half the neck had been sized so I simply screwed the die down untill the whole neck was sized.
Advice, throw away the stupid lock nut they give you and buy some proper ones with the allen key locking screw. I bought simplex lock rings from my LGS at $6 each, well worth it.
zzsstt

Post by zzsstt »

These dies rely on pressure on the handle to do the job, not the angular movement of the handle, if you see what I mean. A "normal" die pushes the neck through a hole, so when the shellholder hits the die the job is done, but these dies rely on the shellholder pushing on the die with sufficient force to drive the collet mechanism. The instructions give a base figure of turns after meeting the shellholder, but then add a rider for those using presses that over centre. The issue is that in a press that goes over centre, the press may release the force on the die before sufficient has been applied to size the neck (the ram starts to fall when the press goes over).

Basically it doesn't matter where you screw the die to, as long as there is enough force of the base of the die to cause the collet to compress and size the neck. I believe Lee state about 25lb (12kg) minimum force on the handle to do the job (though how they know what leverage any other make of press has is beyond me). This force must be pushing the shellholder against the die, not just pushing the handle against the stop!

So, take note of where the handle stops without a die in the press. Then put the die in and size a round. If the handle reaches the "stop" point before you are applying at least 12kg, the press is taking the force rather than the die, which may therefore not be sizing correctly. And 12kg is quite a lot of force to be applying. Ideally the handle "stop" position should be at the point where 12kg is being applied. If you then screw the die out further, you will need to apply more force to reach the stop position, and hence get more sizing. If you keep screwing the die out, but never apply more than 12kg to the handle, it will make no difference to the sizing.

And as Model70 says, ditch the Lee lock rings. I'd get Forster or Hornady rings, as they clamp up rather than drive the lock screw in to the threads on the die.
bushchook
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .220 Swift

Post by bushchook »

The reason that you screw the die in 2 turns after it makes contact with the shellholder is to prevent the press from camming over . The leverage generated when the press cams over can be far in excess of what is generated by 25lb of downward pressure on the handle before it reaches that point . You can damage the die if you don't screw it far enough into the press and the handle can cam over .
kurcha
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 338 edge

Post by kurcha »

just make surre that case is clean on inside neck ,just read instructions its said how much force u need to work that case.
alpal
.17 HMR

Post by alpal »

My experience is that bushcook is right, you can also crush necks if it cams over. I have one in .308 and it seems to work extremely well producing very accurate loads. In fact I am on the lookout for one in .243 if anyone wants to sell at a reasonable price (cheap) :lol:
Regards Alpal
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

Got one for my old hornet and the results were great. The hornet was fickle to load for but i managed to crack that one. The deluxe set of dies from lee with the collet die was the first thing i reached for when i bought the 22/250. Goes very well. My bench is a rickety old thing and the press buckles a bit from the crappy wood, but i havent buckled a case yet and have had no problems with neck tension.
zzsstt

Post by zzsstt »

Yes, when a press cams over it can generate a great deal of force, but at that point the ram is hardly moving, that being the nature of the increasing leverage. This being the case, the die would have to be adjusted to exactly the wrong place for this to happen. Too high and the ram will cam over without moving upwards enough to trouble the die (the situation I was talking about above). Too low and the ram would be stopped by the die before the handle neared the "increasing leverage" section just before camming over. But I agree, adjust the die so you that the press cams just after the point where the die is fully compressed and you will apply a heap of additional pressure to it at a point where it is already fully compressed.

As for crushing necks, I thought there was a mandrel that the neck was squeezed on to? If that is the case I'm not sure how the neck could be crushed. But I must say that I have only one Lee Collet die and I don't use it very much!
MISSED

Post by MISSED »

Thanks to you all for the replies.I have set the press as per the instructions and as the simplex master cams over have adjusted the die 2 turns down.When raising the shellholder the collet part of the die ,which floats, moves up to squeeze the neck onto the mandrel. The destructions say ram will come to a stop then apply 25 lbs of force . Well bingo crushed neck.Have pulled die apart and case which is a 220 swift and unfired is the same length as collet . Could the mandrel be over size.Thoroughly agree about the lock nuts will be chasing some at Penrith cheers
Phil

Post by Phil »

I've only skimmed through this article but the author definately seems to know what he's on about.

http://www.aushunt.com.au/main/mainarti ... 0ed9003f5f
bushchook
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .220 Swift

Post by bushchook »

MISSED wrote:Thanks to you all for the replies.I have set the press as per the instructions and as the simplex master cams over have adjusted the die 2 turns down.When raising the shellholder the collet part of the die ,which floats, moves up to squeeze the neck onto the mandrel. The destructions say ram will come to a stop then apply 25 lbs of force . Well bingo crushed neck.Have pulled die apart and case which is a 220 swift and unfired is the same length as collet . Could the mandrel be over size.Thoroughly agree about the lock nuts will be chasing some at Penrith cheers
Wouldn't have thought you could crush the neck unless the shoulder is touching the collet . It's not an Improved Swift is it ?
Mandrel size shouldn't have anything to do with it .
Might be a dodgy die or new case that is overlength , probably the latter if it's Winchester brass .
MISSED

COLLET DIE

Post by MISSED »

Thanks phill the article is quite good better than the instructions supplied. Bushchook standard swift atmo.After reading the aushunt post printing it out and sitting in the shed in front of press have come to the conclusion,I need a new press :idea: : .also as bushchook stated Winchester cases are longer :evil:
Sam Walker
.222 Remington

Re: lee collet die

Post by Sam Walker »

I had a collet die for my 22 Hornet and they are very good. The crushing necks thing can happen when it is set up too hard against the shellholder. As the collet closes, it is also sliding down the neck a little bit. If the grip on the neck overcomes the sliding it will squash the case shorter with a concertina effect at the neck /shoulder junction.
A good tip I read from an email discussion "list" said to give the edges of the sleeve that squeezes the collet shut, a bit of smoothing/polishing where it bears against the collet, and give it a light smear of grease.
Also use some fine wet + dry (800 then 1200) to polish the mandrel a tiny bit smaller, in the area just below where the neck gets resized. This gets rid of the "pop" sound and dragging when the case comes out of the die. As it says in the instructions you can use the same technique to increase neck tension.
I sold my Hornet collet die but I still have a Lee Deluxe set in .308 and would buy in other cals too when in the market for some dies. Bushing type dies are good too but the collet die is a lot cheaper and works with unturned brass.
L8r....
Sam
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Re: lee collet die

Post by trevort »

bushing dies work with unturned brass too, you just need the right sized bushing.