Can anyone confirm or otherwise identify this strange round?

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Can anyone confirm or otherwise identify this strange round?

Post by The Raven »

Was moving into a new office today which had been formerly occupied by someone with an interest in firearms. Whilst tidying up the drawers etc I came across a box of cases and projectiles.

The headstamp identifies it as Israeli Military Industries, most likely 5.56 Ball M193. The circle cross indicates STANAG 4172 which is the original STANAG spec for US 5.56. As an aside the other numbers indicate stamps from the manufacturing process and nothing to do with the calibre. A quick check with the vernier confirms it's probably 5.56.
image3.jpeg
Now the next challenge is to identify the projectiles that were also in the box. These are quite unusual and I haven't been able to locate any information on them.

It measures correctly as .224
image2.jpeg
However the length is ridiculous
image1.jpeg
Similarly the weight is phenomenal (averages around 115gr across the lot)
image0.jpeg
Now I have no idea if the projectiles were original to the brass but I have 19 projectiles and 14 cases. None of the cases appears fired or cleaned, and the projectiles don't have any marks to suggest they were pulled from a case.

Anyone got any idea what these are (specifically the projectiles)? Not planning on using them as I doubt I could find any trustworthy load data for them and have no idea how they would perform :shock:
Last edited by The Raven on Wed May 10, 2023 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Re: Can anyone confirm or otherwise identify this strange round?

Post by The Raven »

This is a close match but I don't know....

https://forum.cartridgecollectors.org/t ... llet/53928