Introducing another young fella to reloading

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .20-222

Introducing another young fella to reloading

Post by Branxhunter »

I've taken another young fella under my wing (another son of a friend) and today had a first reloading session with him. He had previously said he was shooting a .222 and it was a nice surprise to find it was an early Sako L461 with Bofors Steel barrel, 'long' extractor and S-type magazine floorplate latch. The stock is a bit dinged about and the barrel had some surface rust on it.

Photos of groups shot with factory Federal 40gn BT ammo showed groups of around 2" at 100m - not real flash. Didn't stop him from getting 4 foxes under the spotlight last night though.

While we set the reloading gear up we pulled the bolt and ran some solvent into the barrel to soak. Asking a few questions found that he did t have a cleaning rod, and his dad was asking if the barrel should be cleaned once per year

Set up the old Simplex press, showed him the ropes and let him at it:

Meanwhile I attended to that barrel:

A power of copper came out and I could have kept going but we had some groups to shoot. Another pleasant surprise was that the rifling was crisp with no pitting.

He loaded up 5 increments of AR2207 with 40gn Nosler Varmageddons, and another 5 increments with 50gn z-maxes.

Then we headed out to check things on paper. To baseline he shot 5x with the Federal 40gn factory ammo he has been using, and 5x Winchester 50gn varmint supreme factory fodder in the blac box. Nothing special:

The 50gn Win in the silver box:

And finally some of my reloads developed for my Sako (BM1 with 40gn ) - a little more promising. The trigger is very heavy and we will adjust it down a bit next time:

To check it wasn't an issue with shooter technique I gave a few shots out of my rifles. My Sako .222:

My Anschutz .222:

And my Sako .17-222:

So he can shoot Ok. We ran out of time to check the reloads so he will test over the next week or two. I suspect we can get the old Sako shooting much better with a bit lighter trigger pull weight and a worked up load.

Marcus
pepperC
Favourite Cartridge: 17 AH

Re: Introducing another young fella to reloading

Post by pepperC »

Well done Branx!
Great to pass on that awesome knowledge you have and awesome to see a decent young man progressing!
Keep up the great work
C
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .20-222

Re: Introducing another young fella to reloading

Post by Branxhunter »

So yesterday the young bile came over with a a good mate and his son to do some general gun tinkering.

He was keen to develop some loads for an old Parker Hale 243. Since recently receiving it from his dads side of the family he had only shot a few factory Win 80gn loads through it. It came with a box of RCBS dies and half a 500 ct box of moly coated 55gn Sierra BKs so that’s what we loaded using some of my AR2206h.

After consulting the ADI guide we loaded 8 powder increments from 41.0gn up to book max of 44.5gn, 2 rounds at each increment. I got him to shoot the first 5 increments at one aim point, marking the bullet holes after each 2 shot increment. Ok but nothing brilliant.

Moved to a new aim point for the second lot of 6 shots and it really started to shine, with loads 6 and 7 (43.5gn and 44.0gn) looking really good - pressure series and load development done:

I measured the groups (I know, only 2 shot groups) - #6 was 0.49”, #7 was 0.32”, and for the combined 4 shot group they were 0.52” - the young bloke was very happy with the result.

Marcus