22-250Aai

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Creedmoor

22-250Aai

Post by Seddo »

So this is how I start load development, is it the best way? probably not but it works for me. I usually shoot at a target at 50m at the same time so I et a short range zero that I can adjust when at longer range. But at 50m you find you get a very good windage zero.

I work out a maximum charge and run back 1-2gr in 0.2gr increments. I load 2 of each but on the first, fourth, seventh, etc charge I load 3. I always delete the first shot fired over the magneto speed just in case, I have at time had readings on the first shot that were well out compared to the rest. I fire 7 shots and let it cool. When you punch the info into excel you get this.....

What i'm looking for is the flat spots in the velocity where the EX is low as this helps find your node. Does it work 100%? No, I have tried this with a few calibers and it never helped but I tried it with my 6mmBR and when I tested the load with a single digit ES in a flat spot it shot extremely well at 600y, so much so I haven't changed it. Now I have changed powder batch lots I will do some more testing with it.
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 308/6br

Re: 22-250Aai

Post by macca »

Have done similar with my 280ai.
As a matter of interest my 22-250ai run 38grns of 2208 as one of it's best loads with 50gr BTs.
Your graph sorta confirms that spot.
Cheers
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

Well done Seddo. I also find my max load (case head grows by .001” or more) then regress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Creedmoor

Post by Seddo »

I dont just do it for load development, this is the data from when I ran in the barrel on the 6mm creedmoor. I figured if you are going to fire some rounds you might as well get some data out of it. Don't give me a hard time, I was cleaning after 3 shots and not 1. They are the first 27 shots through the barrel. Quickload says max is just over 43gr so that's where I will work back with that one when I get to load development.