What reloading steps have you started that you never would have done before isolation.

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
RDavies
.257 Roberts
Favourite Cartridge: 7 SAUM

What reloading steps have you started that you never would have done before isolation.

Post by RDavies »

With pretty much all shooting and many jobs being put on hold by big brother lately, many of us have a lot of spare time on our hands in the reloading room. Some have sworn they would never resort to neck turning or batching bullets or cleaning brass or whatever. If the government keeps this lockdown going for much longer I will likely resort to extreme measures such as water weighing brass or maybe even sorting bullets by weight and bearing surface. What have you started doing, or about to start doing that you swore you never would?
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Re: What reloading steps have you started that you never would have done before isolation.

Post by Camel »

Nothing, I have a cunning plan, will leave all my brass unloaded until I get really really sick and tired of doing other stuff, I have hundreds of empties and some that need dismantling. :D
RDavies
.257 Roberts

Re: What reloading steps have you started that you never would have done before isolation.

Post by RDavies »

Camel wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:14 pm Nothing, I have a cunning plan, will leave all my brass unloaded until I get really really sick and tired of doing other stuff, I have hundreds of empties and some that need dismantling. :D
Sounds like you are still being kept busy. Many of us passed the sick and tired stage a week ago.
chappo555
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmbr

Post by chappo555 »

Moved to an arbor press and wilson dies. Playing with a bullet pointing die too
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

In answer to the original question, I’d be reloading for no other reason than It would be a good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

Rod something worth considering since you shoot long VLDs. Puts a new take on rolling your own.
There has been a bit of white noise about the ICC and what they actually do. Some have parked their Juenke in favour of precision ground glass?? or surface plates engineers use. They are levelled perfectly so a precision ball bearing placed on the plate doesn't roll. From there the bullets are gently rolled individually until they stop. The top is marked with a Sharpie then rolled again. If the mark ends up top again, and again, the bullets construction is out of static balance due to either being bent or from a inconsistent placement of material in the ogive during point up. Or an off center core for whatever reason. Essentially this just allows gravity to do its job.

I've read of the results and seen some pics that indicate this is very worthwhile in erradicating fliers. Actually the groups of opposing ends of the spectrum are black and white.
I have graded some bullets this way myself, but unlike the idle rich and the disease ridden hords down in Mehico at the moment :mrgreen: , work up here is flat out and i have not had time to test it out. Now that the ranges are closed, it will have to wait. Keep in mind i have tested nothing at this point other than rolling some bullets on our plate at the workshop. The theory is good so i feel it is a worthwhile test.
RDavies
.257 Roberts

Post by RDavies »

Tony Z wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:48 pm Rod something worth considering since you shoot long VLDs. Puts a new take on rolling your own.
There has been a bit of white noise about the ICC and what they actually do. Some have parked their Juenke in favour of precision ground glass?? or surface plates engineers use. They are levelled perfectly so a precision ball bearing placed on the plate doesn't roll. From there the bullets are gently rolled individually until they stop. The top is marked with a Sharpie then rolled again. If the mark ends up top again, and again, the bullets construction is out of static balance due to either being bent or from a inconsistent placement of material in the ogive during point up. Or an off center core for whatever reason. Essentially this just allows gravity to do its job.

I've read of the results and seen some pics that indicate this is very worthwhile in erradicating fliers. Actually the groups of opposing ends of the spectrum are black and white.
I have graded some bullets this way myself, but unlike the idle rich and the disease ridden hords down in Mehico at the moment :mrgreen: , work up here is flat out and i have not had time to test it out. Now that the ranges are closed, it will have to wait. Keep in mind i have tested nothing at this point other than rolling some bullets on our plate at the workshop. The theory is good so i feel it is a worthwhile test.
Funny you should mention Juenke machines as I have been using mine lately and looking at the bullet Genie on YouTube. It does make sense what you say but might be hard to quantify .
How much is a plate of precision ground glass to do this on? Likely cheaper than an engineers plate. I have some bullets which came up very bad on Juenke so would be interesting to see how they go on your method
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

With gunshops closed in WA I have taken to indexing primers so I know how many times they have been fired.
RDavies
.257 Roberts

Post by RDavies »

Brad Y wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:25 pm With gunshops closed in WA I have taken to indexing primers so I know how many times they have been fired.
My guns seem to have a centre punch thing that leaves and indentation on the primer to let me know it’s been fired. I will just file the little punch thing down so it doesn’t punch the primer so I can get more uses out of them
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

Well it's not reloading but I tried and gave up on sorting 22LR by rim thickness. If sorted, they are a little more consistent but not enough to make a difference for general use. If you're into competition 22LR then that may be different.
mick_762
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308 Norma

Post by mick_762 »

The Raven wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:12 pm Well it's not reloading but I tried and gave up on sorting 22LR by rim thickness. If sorted, they are a little more consistent but not enough to make a difference for general use. If you're into competition 22LR then that may be different.
Hey Dave, that's why .22 BR shooters do it...….
The "average punter" wont see a bee's dick of difference to a dead bunny.
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

Tony Z wrote:Rod something worth considering since you shoot long VLDs. Puts a new take on rolling your own.

I wouldn’t worry about the glass too much. It is a liquid after all. Stick with steel plate or better still a granite marking out table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro