17 cal projectiles

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
Gatekeeper25
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250

17 cal projectiles

Post by Gatekeeper25 »

Does anyone know of any 17 cal 30 grain projectiles available in Australia? I've looked everywhere I can think of. I have 1 box of the old Bergers but that will run out soon. Hopfully
Not too worried about the brand, just wanting 30gr
I've been offered some out of the US but getting a second order will be problematic so would rather not work up a load for something I can't get again.

If not, I'll stick with the 25s.
Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Re: 17 cal projectiles

Post by trevort »

Take the ones from the states and buy a few thousand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
barryb
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 17 ackley hornet

Post by barryb »

Looking looking Gatekeeper but not hopeful at this stage - will let you know if I come up with anything.
Barry
Tripod1
Favourite Cartridge: Wildcats

Post by Tripod1 »

There is a bloke down here that makes 17 cal projectiles and he can do any weight you want. I have his contact details if you want them.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Tripod1 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:13 am There is a bloke down here that makes 17 cal projectiles and he can do any weight you want. I have his contact details if you want them.
Bill is also a member on here.
Gatekeeper25

Post by Gatekeeper25 »

trevort wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:39 pm Take the ones from the states and buy a few thousand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
At over a dollar each, that's not going to happen. :(
In any case, he's only prepared to send a maximum of 400.
barryb wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:06 pm Looking looking Gatekeeper but not hopeful at this stage - will let you know if I come up with anything.
Barry
Thanks Barry. I've just about given up on finding any. I can't believe that nobody brings any in.
Tripod1 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:13 am There is a bloke down here that makes 17 cal projectiles and he can do any weight you want. I have his contact details if you want them.
That could be very interesting. Thanks.

Ashley.
billsshed
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 17 hornet

Post by billsshed »

I am here and listening. Sorry I am a little south of home at the moment. I do have some that you could give a run but I am not even near a post office even if I did have some within reach. I stoped making the 30gn as I just never used them. They were easy to make but velocity was down and the 17 is all about velocity.
I do have my press with me but I am making jackets for the .257...or am attempting to out or 17 WSM cases. I can send you some but the time frame for my return to the reloading bench is very long.

Billsshed
Gatekeeper25

Post by Gatekeeper25 »

billsshed wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:06 pm I am here and listening. Sorry I am a little south of home at the moment. I do have some that you could give a run but I am not even near a post office even if I did have some within reach. I stoped making the 30gn as I just never used them. They were easy to make but velocity was down and the 17 is all about velocity.
I do have my press with me but I am making jackets for the .257...or am attempting to out or 17 WSM cases. I can send you some but the time frame for my return to the reloading bench is very long.

Billsshed

Thanks, I would definitely be interested in trying them at some point. When you get back, let me know and we can work something out. In the meantime, I would be very interested to learn more about making your own projectiles. When you mentioned that the velocity was down, were you meaning that you couldn't drive them fast enough, or that they couldn't handle the higher velocity? I would like to run them at about 4000 or just over.
I have a friend who bought some 22 cal 55gr homemade projectiles which he uses in a 22-250 with good results. I have no experience with them in 17 though.
billsshed
.17 HMR

Post by billsshed »

Thanks for the question, I have a little 17Hornet which does 17 and 20 gen projectile very well but as the boiler is small the 30gn is just a little slower. I want the speed.
Ref velocity, the 20gn has now been pushed past 4300f/s and I was interested enough to do the maths and worked out that the surface speed of the jacket for both a 22 cal and a 17 cal. It turns out that the rotational forces on the 17 jacket are far less than the 22cal (as expected). There are other factors that destroy projectiles like barrel roughness, jacket hardness, ( engraveability) and of course jacket thickness. My jackets are only .008” thick (and made from recycled brass )but still behave poorly under 1400f/s no mater the design. I gave up experimenting and just ran the 20gn at 3600and the 17gn a bit faster. Depending on the range the 17gn rarely exits but if the range is only 50m it is just messy.

Bill
Gatekeeper25

Post by Gatekeeper25 »

billsshed wrote:Thanks for the question, I have a little 17Hornet which does 17 and 20 gen projectile very well but as the boiler is small the 30gn is just a little slower. I want the speed.
Ref velocity, the 20gn has now been pushed past 4300f/s and I was interested enough to do the maths and worked out that the surface speed of the jacket for both a 22 cal and a 17 cal. It turns out that the rotational forces on the 17 jacket are far less than the 22cal (as expected). There are other factors that destroy projectiles like barrel roughness, jacket hardness, ( engraveability) and of course jacket thickness. My jackets are only .008” thick (and made from recycled brass )but still behave poorly under 1400f/s no mater the design. I gave up experimenting and just ran the 20gn at 3600and the 17gn a bit faster. Depending on the range the 17gn rarely exits but if the range is only 50m it is just messy.

Bill

Hi Bill, interesting information, thanks. I'm actually considering a 17 Hornet at the moment. Thinking of getting rid of the HMR and moving up a level. Not in a hurry but will do it when the right one comes along.
Do you make projectiles to achieve something that you can't get commercially, or just because you like tinkering? Image
It's something that I would definitely be interested in attempting but I couldn't justify the set-up cost for the small quantities I would use. How difficult is it to achieve good consistency with the weights? When you are only working with 17gr there is not much of a margin of error.

Ashley

billsshed
.17 HMR

Post by billsshed »

Gatekeeper25 wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:21 pm
billsshed wrote:Thanks for the question, I have a little 17Hornet which does 17 and 20 gen projectile very well but as the boiler is small the 30gn is just a little slower. I want the speed.

Bill

Hi Bill, interesting information, thanks. I'm actually considering a 17 Hornet at the moment. Thinking of getting rid of the HMR and moving up a level. Not in a hurry but will do it when the right one comes along.
Do you make projectiles to achieve something that you can't get commercially, or just because you like tinkering? Image
It's something that I would definitely be interested in attempting but I couldn't justify the set-up cost for the small quantities I would use. How difficult is it to achieve good consistency with the weights? When you are only working with 17gr there is not much of a margin of error.

Ashley

I make projectiles only for the Calibers I own. I am a tinkerer. I like to see what would happen if....
A jacket weighs 6gn and if you fire it without a core...it does not fly well at all. If your projectile is to long it will tumble but there is a fine line between tumbling and excellent accuracy.
You can build a 17 cal jacket over 2” long which is absolutely useless.
You can buy a truck load of really good projectiles for the set up cost.
My list of mistakes is endless but I have learned a heap.
You can make some excellent projectiles but it takes a lot of time and I have made a lot of the jacket trimming gear my self and have sunk 100s of hours into trying to speed up and make the process as consistent as possible.
Tripod has helped me with casting lead, extruding lead wire and supplying the know how and equipment to do it. That alone is some serious hydraulics and dies to match.
Getting the weight within .2 of a grain is not hard but you must be consistent. To get within .1gn is quite achievable but just be anal. Lube qty when making jackets, lube on cores, cleaning methods of jackets, cleaning of cores, length of jacket, jacket thickness, temp of kiln, time of jackets in kiln etc are all variables. If you are not into making your own gear and loosing whole days behind a press just buy the projectiles that work for you. It will be cheaper / simpler but no fun. High quality scales to weigh the components is another cost.
I got my gear when the Aust $ was above parity to the US$ and it was not so bad. I would hate to pay for it now. Nothing more satisfying than going out at night and knocking them over with projectiles that I made myself.

Sorry for the ramble and I hope I have not discouraged you but you need to go into the process with your eyes open.

Bill
barryb
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 17 ackley hornet

Post by barryb »

Ashley
I've used the 30 grain berger projectiles in the past but it doesn't look like they make them any more & BRT only has the 25 grainers listed on their site. I was using 22.6 of 2208 for about 3700 or so
If Bill still has them you won't go wrong with his product.
Sorry , can't be anymore help
Barry