How to dispose of live primers

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

How to dispose of live primers

Post by The Raven »

I have a number of old rusty steel cased rounds that were given to me and I want to dispose of them safely.

I've pulled the projectiles (they can be reused) and, found a way to dispose of the powder :twisted:

Now I'm left with the steel cases with primers in them. I can't/won't chamber the rounds and fire them because of the rust (probably not good for the rifle).

After googling I've read some dubious ways to dispose them and, don't want to simply bin them in case they end up going pop at some rubbish recycling depot!

I won't burn them either as I have a scar on my leg from when someone (NOT me) thought that was a good idea around a campfire.

Soaking them in something sounds good but that reportedly doesn't always work.

Any ideas...
Rabbitz
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 222

Re: How to dispose of live primers

Post by Rabbitz »

In my younger years I used a vice, a nail punch and a hammer.

:) :roll:

What could possibly have gone wrong?

:mrburns:
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

Rabbitz wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:37 pm In my younger years I used a vice, a nail punch and a hammer.

:) :roll:

What could possibly have gone wrong?

:mrburns:
I'll show you the scar.... :lol:
LoneRider
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Post by LoneRider »

ive always just dropped em in the incinerator for later heat treatment.
its funny when you forget whats in there :lol:
and yeah,plastic shotty shells with the primers in em do stick and burn if they get ya :lol: :wink:
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Stick em in the bin, chuck em in the river, drop them in the scrub, any number of things you can do. :D
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

Camel wrote:Stick em in the bin, chuck em in the river, drop them in the scrub, any number of things you can do. :D
Check your smoker next time you light it up :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Trev-39
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .284Win

Post by Old Trev-39 »

Anything like that I wish to get rid of I give the deep 6 when I go fishing.
Cheers,
Trevor.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

Old Trev-39 wrote:Anything like that I wish to get rid of I give the deep 6 when I go fishing.
Cheers,
Trevor.
Now that’s an idea assuming the extinction revolution protesters don’t find out.

Off the the local swimming pool :lol:

Old Trev-39
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .284Win

Post by Old Trev-39 »

Give them the deep 6 as well.
Cheers,
Trevor.
DUCK
Favourite Cartridge: 20.250

Post by DUCK »

Hi I use the "teach them to swim in WD40". It kills the primer material. Any oil that is thin would do but WD40 is always handy to have around. If they are still seated in the cases simply spray into the case and let it sit for a while. After about a day you can just discard along with cases or if you need to save the cases I would recommend that you de-prime then do a full intensive clean of the cases in a cleaning solution of a HOT water, strong detergent and lemon juice for an hr or so. Rinse in clean water, completely dry inside and out left out in the sun works for couple of hrs, then a turn in tumbler to polish up.
Regards
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

DUCK wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:39 pm Hi I use the "teach them to swim in WD40". It kills the primer material. Any oil that is thin would do but WD40 is always handy to have around. If they are still seated in the cases simply spray into the case and let it sit for a while. After about a day you can just discard along with cases or if you need to save the cases I would recommend that you de-prime then do a full intensive clean of the cases in a cleaning solution of a HOT water, strong detergent and lemon juice for an hr or so. Rinse in clean water, completely dry inside and out left out in the sun works for couple of hrs, then a turn in tumbler to polish up.
Regards
Thanks for that. I heard that the WD40 may dry out and they may remain somewhat capable of a bang. I'm going to deprime them and then drown them in WD40...

I'm keeping the brass as they can be reloaded. I generally ultrasonically clean after depriming...
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

The Raven wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:28 pm I have a number of old rusty steel cased rounds that were given to me and I want to dispose of them safely.

Any ideas...
The Raven wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:46 pm

Thanks for that. I heard that the WD40 may dry out and they may remain somewhat capable of a bang. I'm going to deprime them and then drown them in WD40...

I'm keeping the brass as they can be reloaded. I generally ultrasonically clean after depriming...
As this is a quote from your original post, and noting the availability of copious quantities of GOOD brass cases, why the fuck would you even consider anything like reloading them, throw the fucken things in the bin, I will even give you some good brass if you can't get hold of any. :roll:
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

Camel wrote:
The Raven wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:28 pm I have a number of old rusty steel cased rounds that were given to me and I want to dispose of them safely.

Any ideas...
The Raven wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:46 pm

As this is a quote from your original post, and noting the availability of copious quantities of GOOD brass cases, why the fuck would you even consider anything like reloading them, throw the fucken things in the bin, I will even give you some good brass if you can't get hold of any. :roll:
You’re right Camel! Brain fart....

I was thinking of some brass I need to deprime when I replied, not the rusty Wolf steel cases I originally mentioned.

Steel will be binned and primers destroyed.

The brass is another story.

pepperC
Favourite Cartridge: 17 AH

Post by pepperC »

WD40
Dunderi
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: .22-250

Post by Dunderi »