Sorting cases

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Sorting cases

Post by kickinback »

After you have sorted your cases how do you keep track of the separate groups of cases? Do you mark them, keep them in different boxes etc?

What works for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Keachie
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Re: Sorting cases

Post by Keachie »

Zip lock bags work for me, all away in the same place but I leave myself messages on the bags

Sent from my 7048S using Tapatalk

albow
.257 Roberts

Post by albow »

From a BR perspective I just keep them segregated inside my ammo box.

Each segregation I have is set to be for a single group in that sighters and record rounds are all one lot. After you shoot the target put them back into the ammo box as part of their lots. Then when reloading and preparing cases, work on them with the same layout as the ammo box on your loading blocks.

The below image is of my HG cases. The 18 cases on the left are one lot that will be used for target 1 and make up 10 record rounds and 8 sighters. The next 18 across the box are the cases for target 2. By keeping them grouped like this also ensures the number of firings on cases stay consistent too.

The extra 10 cases on the right side are used for barrel warmers / foulers / get on paper rounds.

IMG_5191.jpg
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

I keep my brass in zip lock bags. Sorted by brand and number of firings.

They sit it the draw arranged by calibre so I can quickly flick through to find the right amount of cases I need for a reload session.
mick_762
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308 Norma

Post by mick_762 »

Just by caliber and then fired or primed and prepped ready to shoot again:

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

Cheers fellas. Mick, you don’t weight sort?

mick_762
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308 Norma

Post by mick_762 »

kickinback wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:46 pm Cheers fellas. Mick, you don’t weight sort?

Only powder gets weighed.
Old Trev-39
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .284Win

Post by Old Trev-39 »

I have never been a beliver in weight sorting cases, as one does not know where the extra brass is situated. I believe that sorting by volume is the way to go, but a pain in the ass, and have never done it. However the other day I weight sorted 120
Winchester .284 cases after being neck turned and trimmed to length. Weight difference between lightest and heaviest was 7.1 grns. I used metho as a media to measure volume difference by weight, and I came up with .8 grn. difference. So needless to say I still believe weight sorting cases is a waste of time IHMO.
Cheers,
Trevor.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

I sort my cases by manufacturer and then by chambering. :mrgreen:
albow
.257 Roberts

Post by albow »

Hey Trev

Interested in knowing if the 0.8 grn variance was between the heaviest and lightest case you had and if so is what I would expect. I have never batched by volume only weight.

If you have prepped brass through turning necks, flash holes and primer pockets then fire them to chamber dimension (at least twice as the first fireform does not always fully form the case) followed by another skim on necks and trimming to length then the the outer dimension of the case should be to an extent identical. If then you were to weigh them (before any sizing) and batch you would be getting the comparison on the internal dimensions / volume of the case as any variance on brass weight I think would be encroaching on the internal volume.
Old Trev-39
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .284Win

Post by Old Trev-39 »

Hi Al,
That was what I was going to do next. This morning I took a different approach. I took 2 cases the same weight and used the metho method again. A difference of .5grn. was the result. Will be taking the 2 different cases to Townsville next and fire them and reload and fire again, and will do the metho test when I get back home,
Cheers,
Trevor.
B4408
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20VT

Post by B4408 »

Old Trev-39 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:51 pm I have never been a beliver in weight sorting cases, as one does not know where the extra brass is situated. I believe that sorting by volume is the way to go, but a pain in the ass, and have never done it. However the other day I weight sorted 120
Winchester .284 cases after being neck turned and trimmed to length. Weight difference between lightest and heaviest was 7.1 grns. I used metho as a media to measure volume difference by weight, and I came up with .8 grn. difference. So needless to say I still believe weight sorting cases is a waste of time IHMO.
Cheers,
Trevor.
Interesting discussion, good test Trev.
So .8gn of liquid is approx .05ml if water.
What percentage is .05ml of the total volume?
About .08% variation in volume after a quick google. To me that is SFA but to those shooting LR they may think it makes a difference. :roll: :D :lol:

I've got simpler problems for missing :lol: :lol:

Bruce
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

When measuring case volume how to you take into account the primer pocket, flash hole size etc?

Do you leave a fired primer in, tape over the primer opening at the case head or what?

0.05ml may be attributable to how you account for the primer pocket, flash hole, what primer you used, and how deeply seated it is...that is when measuring case volume with a liquid.

Just a thought.
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .20-222

Post by Branxhunter »

kickinback wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:55 pm After you have sorted your cases how do you keep track of the separate groups of cases? Do you mark them, keep them in different boxes etc?

What works for you?

Those clear plastic tubs like you get takeaway curry in. We use heaps of them at work for crib lunches and they only tend to be single use. I take mine home, wash them then use to store cases. They stack well, are clear so you can see what is in them, and cost nothing.
image.jpeg
Marcus
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 308/6br

Post by macca »

Mostly they stay in their ammo boxes. When excess occurs Kraft/Bega peanut butter jars.