Tumbling/ Keyholing.

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
barryb
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 17 ackley hornet

Tumbling/ Keyholing.

Post by barryb »

Wondering if anyone can explain the cause & effects of tumbling. I recently received a 17 rem in Sako from Magnum Sports , sight unseen & upon trying out various loads I found a number had "tumbled" ( read gone in sideways on the target) & pressure signs were evident via pierced primers. Not clearly evident from the attached photo but can be seen below the arrow on the LHS target where I was experimenting with various loads. Any enlightenment will be appreciated.
SakoBadBuy MagnumS 27.12.17 002 RESIZED.jpg
Crown appears OK & loads are not hot. Barrel has been given a good going over with Iosso & also Hoppes No 9.
Mudgegonga
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 17-223 Mudgegonga

Re: Tumbling/ Keyholing.

Post by Mudgegonga »

Highly likely the barrel has a build up of carbon in it from prevous owner/s.

I picked up one cheap with a canjar trigger on it and had a similar experience. After I got the carbon out it would group the 20 gn vmav at around .5 inch. But it needs to be cleaned after about 20 rounds max. Then a couple of fowling shots to settle again.

They are 1 in 10 twist so 25 gn vmax is generally to long. 25gn hollow points are ok.
barryb
.270 Winchester

Post by barryb »

Thanks Mudgegonga - any trick to getting rid of the carbon build up , I've given it a really good go over with Iosso & Hoppes several times.
Barry
billsshed
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 17 hornet

Post by billsshed »

Any details on projectile weight and barrel twist

Bill
barryb
.270 Winchester

Post by barryb »

Bill , projectiles are 20 grain , 2207 is the powder at 17.2 grains but can't tell you re the barrel twist , can't even find out the maker of the barrel , it's SS. There may be some Sako tragic who can chime is about twist but ATM I'm in a jaundiced Sako mood :cry: I guess I've gotta wait for the Council Clear up time before sending it to the dump !!
But , do appreciate all suggestions.
Barry
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .20-222

Post by Branxhunter »

I'll take it to the tip for you for $200 :lol:

Marcus
Waldo
.270 Winchester

Post by Waldo »

I have a late 70's Sako .17 Rem that sends the 25g vmax sideways and prints a perfect side on profile of the pill on target, still doesn't group half bad :shock: :lol: Went back to the old fashioned 25g HP and it shoots like a trooper 8)
barryb
.270 Winchester

Post by barryb »

Branxhunter - the offer is appreciated but my blood pressure has now receded & I may persevere a bit more.!
Waldo - yep , it's strange how some projectiles work & other create the tumble effect. I'm now starting to blame the hot (around 36/38 ) weather when I've been experimenting but then again ADI powder is not supposed to be affected so much :?
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

barryb wrote:Branxhunter - the offer is appreciated but my blood pressure has now receded & I may persevere a bit more.!
Waldo - yep , it's strange how some projectiles work & other create the tumble effect. I'm now starting to blame the hot (around 36/38 ) weather when I've been experimenting but then again ADI powder is not supposed to be affected so much :?
Going too fast due to high pressure won’t induce tumbling. And your barrel twist should be right for a 20 vm.

I have had a dirty 22 start spreading pills all over the place so I am going to agree with the dirty or worse, worn out barrel. Someone with a borescope will tell you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

Scrub the beejesus out if it, better yet a chemical foaming solvent... and start the process of looking for a new barrel.

Many 17Rem rifles I think are just not cleaned properly. Once done, their life returns.
Cheers...
Con
Waldo
.270 Winchester

Post by Waldo »

Con wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:20 pm Many 17Rem rifles I think are just not cleaned properly. Once done, their life returns.
Cheers...
Con
Shits of things to clean they are too :roll:
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

Waldo wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:25 pm
Con wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:20 pm Many 17Rem rifles I think are just not cleaned properly. Once done, their life returns.
Cheers...
Con
Shits of things to clean they are too :roll:
Q-tips/cotton ear wax cleaners ... I cut them with a bit of the stalk left and push them through with a $15 cheap 17cal rod. The cotton tip can be soaked in Sweets or WipeOut (non-foaming) and they create a ripper and firm patch. Good patches too!

I DETEST scrubbing with a nylon brush etc as your right, they're a shit!
Cheers...
Con
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

If you have already scrubbed with iosso and no improvement, sounds like your best bet is to unscrew that tube and start a tomato garden. Get a new barrel and be done with it.
barryb
.270 Winchester

Post by barryb »

Thanks everyone for your suggestions/input. I'll do a bit more brushing this time using the Sweets & Wipeout process & see what happens. If everything fails where would you point me directionally to find a reasonably priced 17 Mach1V barrel :( for a replacement.
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

barryb wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:01 am If everything fails where would you point me directionally to find a reasonably priced 17 Mach1V barrel :( for a replacement.
I'm due for two barrels in 2018. One will be a Swann stainless to see what the quality is like. Love to do a 17/222, believe he has both reamers.

Cheers...
Con