FMJ

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
Keachie
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .223

FMJ

Post by Keachie »

When I first ordered Remmy way back, I was told to steer clear of using FMJ rounds due to fact that they were corrosive.

As it described to me this was because of the mercuric primers, cordite power and/or some sort of corrosive coating on the projectiles themselves.

He was a bit of older, backwoods kinda bloke.(did have a funny story about some ex-military FMJ 308 rounds in a stockyard).

But was wondering if this is still the case, remington puts out a 300 round "freedom" bucket that looks like it would be good for plinking at the range.

I pretty sure murcuric primers are no longer used in modern factory ammo. But I have heard of cordite still being used in brands such as PPU.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

daisy
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 7-08

Re: FMJ

Post by daisy »

Says New production, non-corrosive, and reloadable brass cases on the Dick's web page. Price is most likely better then here. :evil:

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/re ... bckt223amo
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

The mention of cordite should give you a good estimate of his vintage, I think the old 303 Brit cartridge to be loaded with it, 308 and 223 never used it and I think that mecuric primers went years ago, I wouldn’t worry about it, fmj were good fur bullets little hole in and out
Keachie
.222 Remington

Post by Keachie »

Camel wrote:The mention of cordite should give you a good estimate of his vintage, I think the old 303 Brit cartridge to be loaded with it, 308 and 223 never used it and I think that mecuric primers went years ago, I wouldn’t worry about it, fmj were good fur bullets little hole in and out
If seen some pictures of 223 fmj round damage on goats. Small entry and exit hole the size of your fist, claiming that the round start to tumble when hit the target.
Never seen or uses first hand though.

Keachie
.222 Remington

Post by Keachie »

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowle ... ngton.html

.224 norico fmjImage

The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

daisy wrote:Says New production, non-corrosive, and reloadable brass cases on the Dick's web page. Price is most likely better then here. :evil:

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/re ... bckt223amo
Now that looks like a bargain. Wonder how they shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

Keachie, I am probably the last person who worries about hunting ethics and stuff like that, but even I would not think of using a FMJ on animals other than the smallest, rabbits with head shots, maybe a fox if you can again hit the head. FMJ on critters like goats, pigs, roos and anything bigger is just plain stupid and you will end up with way more wounded critters than dead ones.
I know they designed the bullets used in the 223 to tumble, that was for use against human targets, preferably in a war situation. I believe they are unsafe to use plinking because of the bigger chances of ricochets, have heard that they are a no no at some ranges because of this.
Do yourself and the critters you hunt a favour and use hunting bullets designed for killing critters as quickly as possible. I remember seeing big numbers of goats and pigs and roos shot with FMJ ammo when the SKS/SKKs were all the go, and most of them needed a full magazine of shots to finish off, I for one am glad when they shit canned the pieces of shit. Other exmil ammo that used to be available was no better, i.e. 303 308 6.5x55 6.5 Carcarno, it was all rubbish for use when hunting.
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

AS Above

Best post by Camel ever. :D
mick_762
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308 Norma

Post by mick_762 »

MISSED wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:46 pm AS Above

Does that mean it now needs to be a sticky?

Cause sticky camels would be gross

Back on topic however - FMJ for hunting of 4 legged "game species" are bad.

On a two way range - they are good, but better with a tungsten penetrator for bipedal game species.

Even betterer is the Hydra 70 or 70mm APKWS rockets supplied by an AH64D.

Mind you - nothing quite announces your presence as a visitor - as knocking on the door with a Javelin :mrgreen:
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

Both cordite and mercuric primers are long gone.

When I was younger and had more time, used to pull the 55gr FMJ Norinco and replace it with a 50gr BlitzKing, shot exceptionally well.
Cheers...
Con
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

I like this thread. Camel talking sense. Go figure

Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

MISSED wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:46 pm AS Above

Stop sucking up ya big bastard, still a little miffed that I got moderated the other night. :wink:
trevort wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:04 pm I like this thread. Camel talking sense. Go figure

You too. :roll:
daisy
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 7-08

Post by daisy »

Keachie wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:38 am

But was wondering if this is still the case, remington puts out a 300 round "freedom" bucket that looks like it would be good for plinking at the range.

If the range lets you shoot FMJ it would be fine for plinking. Main market in USA would be for ARs semi type . :auto:
Sako 22-250
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250

Post by Sako 22-250 »

Thought Smee would have made a comment here?...very quite of late
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Sako 22-250 wrote:Thought Smee would have made a comment here?...very quite of late
Quite what?