17 HMR at 5 Meters.

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
big G
7mm08 Rem
Favourite Cartridge: 223 rem

17 HMR at 5 Meters.

Post by big G »

Hi Team.
Hypothetical... would the 17hmr vmax fully fragmentate or pass though if I hit a fox or skippy at 5 meters in the Mellon .
What about Plum in the shoulder.?.. would it pass through or fly in to small bits.
Cheers Biggy
billsshed
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 17 hornet

Re: 17 HMR at 5 Meters.

Post by billsshed »

They will vaporise. Very untidy

Bill
Tackleberry
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 17HMR

Post by Tackleberry »

ok what was the bet :lol:
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by 220 »

In my experience it is very rare for it to exit with head shots on things bigger than rabbits. While it will penetrate 3mm steel penetration isn't its strong point. I may or may not have accidently shot some 50x50x3rhs, nice entry hole on the front not a mark on the back.
Had a sheep lift its head one day just as the shot broke, hit it partway up the nose, failed to penetrate far enough to the job, sheep shook its head and walked off.

I would stay away from shoulder shots, slipped between the ribs it should work.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Fragmentate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

I couldn't get anything 17gr to penetrate a non stick frying pan at 100yds. Didn't try 20gr offerings. 17gr vmax made massive exit wounds to a roo head I shot once, big buck too. But was only 70 yards away on a windless day and I had all the time in the world to line up an evil top of cranium shot.

All our bunnies here seem to have got hit real bad the last few years by myxo and I'm back thinking of selling my third hmr and probably my 22 as well and get a better quality 22.
Waldo
.270 Winchester

Post by Waldo »

Only one way to find out Biggy :rifle:
Russ_11

Post by Russ_11 »

I once drilled a fox with my hummer and it legged it into some trees. It was Probably about 30m away. Looked fairly crook.
Anyway my mate thought id missed it but I knew I hit it.
Anyway we found the fox he wasn't looking to good so i shot him again and that was it.
When I checked out where the first pill hit he had a hole in the skin on the side of his melon with all projectile fragments all around it and a broken skull but the bullet hadn't penetrated the skull at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fenring

Post by fenring »

Had plenty of HMR exits on foxes, with chest and head shots, at all sorts of ranges.
billsshed
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 17 hornet

Post by billsshed »

Above I wrote
"They will vaporise. Very untidy"
To elaborate, they will vaporise, the end result will be very untidy. At 5M even a vaporised projectile will blow a big messy hole. ( they are travelling at several time the speed of sound!).I have shot plenty of wallabies at very close range with my 17 H with 17gn projectiles. Never had one stay intact, fragments only and most if not all "exited", but inside a soggy mess.

Bill
big G
7mm08 Rem
Favourite Cartridge: 223 rem

Post by big G »

Thanks guys.
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Plowboy »

billsshed wrote:Above I wrote
"They will vaporise. Very untidy"
To elaborate, they will vaporise, the end result will be very untidy. At 5M even a vaporised projectile will blow a big messy hole. ( they are travelling at several time the speed of sound!).I have shot plenty of wallabies at very close range with my 17 H with 17gn projectiles. Never had one stay intact, fragments only and most if not all "exited", but inside a soggy mess.

Bill
Wouldn't say several times the speed of sound. The 17gn are going at 2250fps with is about twice the speed of sound.

It would make a meet and in my experience from having to put down dogs with one, it will go through and it will not be pretty.

I have shot sheep, goats oversized rabbits with a hummer and I find them mostly pretty good at doing the job as long as you are placing shots well. They just cost too much for me to use much but are good for getting a person into shooting(if you don't have a .22LR....

My hummer is a neglected old safe hag who never comes out and is looking quite hagged. I reckon I will sell it and get a Lithgow .22