Looking to reload, so it's time for silly questions

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

I'm considering asking Santa for some reloading gear and doing some research for the elves....

1. As far as priming goes, what's the preference of our reloaders here: Prime on the press or hand prime?
2. Case prep: Do you clean your brass each time, and if so how?

FWIW I'm looking at dabbling in it for the fun of reloading. I don't expect to save money doing it, nor do I plan on chasing super accurate rounds. Just the pleasure of doing it myself...
Gnome
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 375 Cheytac

Re: Looking to reload, so it's time for silly questions

Post by Gnome »

Hand Prime is my preference as I can feel when they have bottomed proper, others will prime from the press.

Clean every time I have reached 2 - 300 cases to be reloaded.

Tumbler or Ultrasonic is personal preference.
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

I have pretty basic kit and some of the more competition dies are more what I have come across when buying rifles etc.

I use the Lee hand prime, older style with round primer holder, does the job.

I clean primer pockets with the pocket cutter and then just wipe my cases over. If I have old or really dirty inside case I'll run em through the ultrasonic. But have really only used it a few times.
DSD
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by DSD »

I hate hand primers and i'm not sure they still make the 1 i use.
Personally i would look at something like the lee au ty o bench prime

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Clean my cases in Birchwood-Case liquid case cleaner, a 1 litre bottle makes shit loads of gallons of cleaning fluid, a quick wash in it takes out all the grungy bits, then a rinse in clean water, followed by an hour or two in the RCBS vibrating case cleaner, do this every third or fourth time I fire them. I prim all my cases using a Super Simplex press.

One thing I have found is that new reloaders can get bamboozled by all the advertising hype and hysteria about needing the newest gadget.

YOU DONT !!!!! But some of it is "nice" to have

Just keep a very basic set up and get add ons as you get more experience. I started with a Lee Loader kit, a Simplex vice type full length sizer and a good set of scales, you will make very good ammo with these kits, especially with hunting cartridges. One of the kits from any of the major manufacturers is good buying in my opinion, though some of the bits they include could probably be left out.

Ask questions, and then ask some more, and after a while you will ask even more, remember they aren't stupid questions if you don't know the answer.

Almost forgot, LUBE, get good LUBE, I use and recommend either RCBS case lube or Redding imperial sizing wax, if you don't use a good lube, I would recommend getting a stuck case remover kit, or make one.
LoneRider
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Post by LoneRider »

what two hump said...
i started with a lee kit and a set of pocket jewelry scales.[digital] for powder weighing.
got the lee turret and some dies,then ended up with primer pocket cleaner and a hand chamfer tool.
as you go..you will upgrade.
i still use the little turret for priming.
now,i clean,prime and load every round.
ive done 15 or 16 reloads per case with no sign of problems.
308 wini cases.
billsshed
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 17 hornet

Post by billsshed »

What Camel said will keep you in good stead.
You asked two questions and so you are going to get more than two opinions. When starting keep it simple and yes I would get a "kit" from one of the main players. It will have the basics and if you look after it, it will last a very long time. There is nothing wrong with a second hand press either. It is pretty hard to wear out a press. You can then upgrade/ modify, from there on in. I would suggest a press rather than a vice type setup.
Priming, I use a Sinclare hand primer. Built to last my lifetime and beautifully made. It takes Lee case holders or you can get the Sinclare stainless ones. Worth every cent.
Cleaning every reload, do I need to....no. Do I ....yes. In Stainless pins for a couple of hours.
Mind you, I do not clean 20 at a time. I reload batches of around 300. To me cleaning is just a step in the reloading process.

Bill
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Don't start with a basic lee kit.

And you are welcome to come check stuff out anytime you like. Berwick isn't far from you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

trevort wrote:Don't start with a basic lee kit.

And you are welcome to come check stuff out anytime you like. Berwick isn't far from you

I will agree with Trevor, we may put some noses out of joint.

When I mentioned Lee Loader kits, I was talking about the ones in the little red boxes that does most things except full length size, NOT one that has the press and scales and stuff like that. I think I gave you that Lee 7/8x14 press at Yass, that is a good example of what I have seen with lee 7/8x14 presses. Havent looked at one that is cast iron, just the alloy ones.
bimbo
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 17HH

Post by bimbo »

As the other guys have said most prefer to hand prime - but DSD's setup did sound pretty good but tis different to the standard press prime setup. I bought an RCBS rockchucker kit when I started and use the hand primer that came with it and it is ok, it is just a pain in the arse when changing what I'm reloading (large to small primers or changing the shell holders).

You don't have to clean cases at all, I spent the last 10 years or so of reloading not cleaning cases just a quick wipe with a microfiber cloth and then a swipe in the neck with a brush but I have not long setup a stainless media tumbler and having bright shiny brass is nice :D but haven't noticed any accuracy improvements and stuff shot is just as dead as without shiny brass - one advantage is that it is a bit easier to find ejected rounds in the grass.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

trevort wrote:Don't start with a basic lee kit.

Any specific reason to avoid the Lee kits, I assume you're talking about the 50th Anniversary and LEE Breech Lock Challenger type setups.

I know you offered that before and I didn't take you up on it, but I may have to do so....prior to Christmas so Santa can get organised. :)
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

Camel wrote:I will agree with Trevor, we may put some noses out of joint.

When I mentioned Lee Loader kits, I was talking about the ones in the little red boxes that does most things except full length size, NOT one that has the press and scales and stuff like that. I think I gave you that Lee 7/8x14 press at Yass, that is a good example of what I have seen with lee 7/8x14 presses. Havent looked at one that is cast iron, just the alloy ones.
Ahh, I know the red box kits you mention...hadn't paid much attention to those to see how they work.

That press you gave me got me intrigued. Is it usual for the alloy ones to break like that or did someone get over zealous with the handle?
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

I started with the cheapest lee kit and alloy press. Broke it twice
I have a Rock chucker and prime with the rcbs hand primer

Croaky
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 22/250

Post by Croaky »

Like many others I started with a very basic Lee Loader, then progressed to a
Simplex turret press, then later a Redding O frame press. Not hard to load good ammo
with a beam scale and some patience.
I used the Simplex for priming for a bloody long time but now use a K & M hand primer.
I give my cases a wipe every now & then with some shellite and an old rag, just to make
sure dirty cases don't go into my dies.
Good luck with the reloading, its a rewarding pastime and take up Trevort's offer, you will
learn more in one night then by yourself in a whole year.
Cheers
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

and maybe pick up some loading tips :D