Reloading bench pictures

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
Flip
.243 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 VT

Re: Reloading bench pictures

Post by Flip »

Mines in my built in back veranda

I made a Steel frame for mine and made it as high as a breakfast bar so I can sit at it on a bar stool or stand.its topped of with some heavy pine planks. the shelves are fixed to the wall. the scales are at eye level and total separate to the bench to prevent being knocked out of zero and speed up settling.

the PC is mounted to the frame underneath and the monitor is on a wall mount.

I've got a roll out draw under the top for key board and tools. projectiles and cases are in a cupboard out of frame built into the old disused back door alcove.

I have a 2 draw steel filing cabinet bolted to the floor next to it for powder storage and to lock up every thing else that need to be.
Attachments
20150621_171022_resized.JPG
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Creedmoor

Post by Seddo »

This topic has hit home, i spent a few hours cleaning mine yesterday. ITs funny how much space you have when things go back!
B4408
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20VT

Post by B4408 »

Some good setups shown.
Apart from my press bolted to the bench under a dust cloth, I keep everything in cupboards in the shed. Found I wasted to much time cleaning sawdust, wasp nests and other crap off things when I wanted to use it and I'm not a high volume reloader.

Flip, when are you going to neck down those window ornaments to 20 cal. :lol: :lol:

Bruce
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

B4408 wrote:Some good setups shown.

Flip, when are you going to neck down those window ornaments to 20 cal. :lol: :lol:

Bruce

I bet he has looked at them and wondered :? :lol:
Flip
.243 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 VT

Post by Flip »

Have ever so briefly contemplated it :shock:

I need a bigger bloody press they wont fit in the redding :cry: . and some custom dies :lol: :lol:
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

I'm not sure if I haven't posted about my bench before, but.....

I put in a bit of an effort, and built it into a 2 door locker.
Reloading setup.JPG
It's kitted on out the inside with a 1/4" plate bench anchored to the floor by 4 x 2" RHS legs and masonry anchors. I have fitted shelves, storage racks and 12v led lighting mounted under the lower of the 2 main shelves, which is switched on and off when the door opens or closes (via a car door switch).
The press is recessed to allow the door on that side to close, and the powder thrower was pivoted to allow the other door to shut. Since this photo though, my Lyman Gen 6 sits where the powder thrower is shown, and I have a bin sitting under the spent primer tube from the press.

The positives of the layout are the ability to lock it all away really easily, and it keeps the dust and vermin out. I also have a psychological thing going on, where if I know I'm limited for space, I have a stronger tendency to clean up after myself. When I have no room, I have to be tidy!

cheers, curan
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

Jeez I feel sorry for you blokes who only have a broom cupboard to do your loading in, but I understand the restraints of limited space, for years mine was just a plank mounted under the window on the back verandah which I had to take my presses and thrower off when not in use. THEN I built a 7x7m shed with 12ft eves and 16ft peak to replace my old single car garage with the dirt floor and built myself a gun/loading room in one quarter of it. Ill get some photos for you, nothing real flash, but everything has its place and I don't have to put my presses and other shit away, unless I want to. :D
tripledeuce
Favourite Cartridge: 6ppc

Post by tripledeuce »

I like the sound of the 12v lighting with an auto switch, where did you get the light strips, eBay?
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

tripledeuce wrote:I like the sound of the 12v lighting with an auto switch, where did you get the light strips, eBay?

I have seen it purchased from there, you can buy it by the metre, also just about any shop that sells 12 volt electrical stuff these days will have it in stock. One of our local servos has it. :D
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by curan »

tripledeuce wrote:I like the sound of the 12v lighting with an auto switch, where did you get the light strips, eBay?
I grabbed a couple of lights from a "sale table" at a auto supplier. Got the switch at the same time. I think from memory it cost me about $15.

They looked a bit like these.... http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/White-36LED- ... xyUrZSzMrv

Later (after the photo was taken), I put two like these on the same circuit, but mounted them inside the LHS door (one high, one just above halfway) to shine on the press....http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Super-Bright ... SwEeFVGgOs

I run a few LED lights from 12v in my shed. I have (redundant) driving lights mounted high and shining down so I can work in engine bays with plenty of light, and some of these strips under shelving, etc.....http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5M-300-Leds- ... xy3hJSTDPM

I'm not a sparky, so I won't touch 240v, but I'll run riot with 12vDC! :lol:

cheers, curan
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by curan »

Camel wrote:Jeez I feel sorry for you blokes who only have a broom cupboard to do your loading in, but I understand the restraints of limited space, for years mine was just a plank mounted under the window on the back verandah which I had to take my presses and thrower off when not in use. THEN I built a 7x7m shed with 12ft eves and 16ft peak to replace my old single car garage with the dirt floor and built myself a gun/loading room in one quarter of it. Ill get some photos for you, nothing real flash, but everything has its place and I don't have to put my presses and other shit away, unless I want to. :D
:D

Don't feel sorry for me Camel! I like my set up, and everything is where I left it when I open the door. And the press stays bolted in position. And if the coppers tried to inspect and find ammo or components, the cupboard is locked, so there is no unsecured ammo issues.

And it leaves plenty of room in the shed for other important things .... like the main ammo locker, the beer fridge, all that stuff! 8)
B4408
.270 Winchester

Post by B4408 »

Pm headed your way.

Bruce
tripledeuce
Favourite Cartridge: 6ppc

Post by tripledeuce »

i finally made it to jaycar today to pick up a power supply for some led strip lights Bruce kindly sent me ages ago.

Makes a massive difference, the photo has made the rest of the room look way darker than it is, but you get the idea

B4408
.270 Winchester

Post by B4408 »

Glad to be of help. The different LED colour is quite distinct in that setup.

Bruce
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by curan »

The lighting looks good TD. It was a hell of an improvement with mine, and has very little shadow because there are so many individual LEDs. I ended up fitting a HQ Holden door switch to a shelf, so the lights come on like a fridge.

Enjoy your reloading.

regards, curan