270 Winchester pressure confusion

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
lowndsie
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by lowndsie »

So I've been forced to switch from RE-22 to 2209 for the Remington 270. I had a nice load sorted with Re22 and 130gr Nosler Partitions going at a touch over 3100fps and shooting moa. I noticed early on that the rifle would take larger charge weights than listed to reach the velocities that others are getting. I figured it had something to do with seating the pills way out to match the Remingtons long throat. I go for one calibre deep in the neck which still gives me a small jump to the lands.

I decided to seat the partitions a bit deeper just to give the case a bit more of a grip when working up the new loads with 2209. They're still longer than factory 130's by a fair way though.

The manuals list a maximum charge weight of around 54-55grs of 2209. At 54gr's I get a flattened primer but nothing concerning, at 54.5gr I get even a less flattened primer. Moving up half grain intervals see's an increase in flat primers but at 55.5gr I still don't see the high pressure signs that normally show up.. No ejector groove on the brass head or scrapes etc. I stopped at 55.5gr just because I was concerned about going any higher if the manauls are saying a grain less as max.

I've loaded a few of each the 55gr and 55.5gr loads to run over the chrony on the weekend so I can see exactly what they're doing. I figure if they're hitting 3100fps then I should be sweet.

Has anyone else gone above the listed max's? And could it be due to seating the pills out further?
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Re: 270 Winchester pressure confusion

Post by Camel »

ADI loads are for soft cocks mate, :twisted: they down scaled them a couple of years ago, starting loads for 2208 and 55gn pills in 223, went from starting at 25.0 in one year, the 25.0 was max the next. if you just use common sense and work your loads properly, you wont have any troubles with going over what they suggest. All reloading manuals are just a guide anyway. Common sense prevails. :D
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

Or you can do what some wanker told me he does with his 357mag:
"I just fill the case up with powder and seat the bullet, they shoot great mate!"
mistit
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 220 swift ack

Post by mistit »

Lowndsie are you full length sizing your cases
johno1
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 5mm rimfire

Post by johno1 »

Mate I have just sat down from loading 100 cases for my son, its the load ive been using for a lot of years.
54grn of 2209, 130grn hornady SST. Its a great load in in our rifle, no presure, chrony's from memory at at just over 3000 fps. Very accurate

Johno
lowndsie

Post by lowndsie »

Cheers for the info guys..

I'm only neck sizing the brass mistit. Although I did put a couple of test loads through virgin brass as well.

It'll be interesting to see what the chrony reads them at.

I've used the 140gr SST's on a few hogs and they are a tough pill. Complete pass through even on a chest shot at 5meters on an adult pig. I hear the 130's are a bit softer.

I'm only working up a load with the partitions cause I have a heap of them, but once they get used up I might look into the 130gr SST's. Or the 130gr Speer Hotcors. I'm developing a softspot for Hotcors at the moment!
mistit
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 220 swift ack

Post by mistit »

No worries :D
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

If your only neck sizing then after a few reloads if you find cases getting hard to chamber you will be up for a FLS and its potentially showing you there is some pressure there. Also check and see what sort of expansion your getting in the primer pockets.
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Post by Curtley78 »

I managed to pick up (about 9 months ago) a set of Redding type S dies in 270 from eBay.

Having enticed the seller to ship from the States, the seller had told me that he had attempted to reload ammunition and all to no avail. The dies finally arrived and upon opening the package and inspecting the neck die I discovered the reason as to why he had failed. He was trying to resize the necks with a bushing of .270. Nonetheless the dies were literally brand new.

If he had managed to seat a few rounds and fire them the pressure must have been phenomenal.

I'm yet to develop a load for my 270 but I'll be using the 130's, 140's and the Nosler LR 150's and using 2209. I think from memory the bushing I required for Norma brass was either 305 or 307.

My brother has pretty much the same rifle although in the Featherweight configuration. His load is 2209 with the Winchester silver tips. His load cloverleafs at 100.