A few test shots with prototype ACP .22 calibre pills

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
fenring

A few test shots with prototype ACP .22 calibre pills

Post by fenring »

These pills are 45gr prototype ACP bullets for .22 centrefires. A few of them are in the field being tested for accuracy and also on-game performance and I was given some to test out but they are not for sale yet until the maker is satisfied with the results.

For those unfamiliar these are a monometal bullet and the nose is pre cut into three petals. The intent with these .22 pills is for the bullet to be soft enough to have good effect on small vermin thanks to the petals, but with a solid base to drive deep on heavier animals should they present themselves (pigs, etc).

I only have 2208 here at the moment, and while it will work in a .223 it's not ideal with lighter pills.  Apparently you don't get top speeds out of it and the case is also full.  

I decided to load an arbitrary load of 27gr of 2208 which is 1gr under the 28gr listed ADI maximum for 45gr pills. Cases are once fired Winchesters FLS and with standard CCI SR primers.    

Despite 2208 not being the best light pill .223 powder, this load chronied at 10 feet wasn't dragging its heels...

Test bed is my Tikka T3 Laminate Stainless with a 4.5-14 Clearidge Ultra XP on top, on this highly sophisticated benchrest setup.   (the Mrs doesn't know I had the cushion....)

I lasered out 100m and propped my target board up.

The rifle was cleaned this morning, so I had a baseline to start from.

First two foulers were over the chrony.  Next one was at paper at about 50m to check POI as the rifle was set up with 55gr SBK's over 26gr of 2208.  So I was happy to see this, and it meant without further mucking about I could get going at 100m.

I then fired off three shots with this result.

Next group of five after doping the scope a little left gave me this reasonable group.

The higher shot that's taken the group out a bit was the first from cold, so maybe  that's why it's a tad off the others.

In any case, this is with no load development and with no seating depth adjustment - I have a good 1.5mm of breathing room in the T3 mag so the next lot I load will be seated further out.  And loaded a half grain hotter.  Primers appear to show mild pressure the barrel is as clean as a whistle actually.

Out of interest, there is zero visible sign of any copper fouling at the muzzle at this point.  (macro pics make it look as rough as Fatboy's tractor, eh?)

Length comparison of 45gr ACP's with 55gr SBK's.

Next stage for me will be to head out in the coming evenings and see if I can whack some foxes and a few rabbits with these, to test them on flesh.   :twisted:
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Re: A few test shots with prototype ACP .22 calibre pills

Post by Brad Y »

Interesting projectile there. Wonder how well they fly as in bc wise? Can see the 300 whisper hunters going for something like these as they would probably still open at subsonic speeds.
fenring

Post by fenring »

Unsure mate, and these are still in prototype phase for the .22's.

ACP will make custom weights and hardnesses to order with the existing bullets, for those wanting something special.
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

Very interesting, to be a pain can you measure the length of the ACP Fenring?

IF they do a custom a 35 grain might be fun 8) in the smaller cartridges.

Ryan
Teepee
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 20-250

Post by Teepee »

Just interested in if ACP are doing 20 cal as well?

Are the price of these are comparable to the lead bullets, or not?
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Teepee they have done a light one, 32 gn I think. Tests were getting exits on broadside shots at goats at 200m.

Join their forum. I asked Battered if he would make something around 42 to 45 gn thinking it would be longer and slippery but still damm fast. He will. I just dont have the rifle for it yet but you could do all the trials and experimentation for me :D :D

www.aussieferalhunters.com
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 22.250

Post by bigfellascott »

They have a 32gn ACP for the 20 Cal, does a good job on goats and Pigs from what I've seen, pole axes em! :lol: They'd be a great projectile for those who like small cals yet still want to roll solid stuff.
Last edited by bigfellascott on Wed May 21, 2014 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tackleberry
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 17HMR

Post by Tackleberry »

Teepee wrote:Just interested in if ACP are doing 20 cal as well?

Are the price of these are comparable to the lead bullets, or not?

http://www.auscp.net.au/www.auscp.net.a ... _List.html
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

fenring wrote:These pills are 45gr prototype ACP bullets for .22 centrefires. A few of them are in the field being tested for accuracy and also on-game performance and I was given some to test out but they are not for sale yet until the maker is satisfied with the results.

For those unfamiliar these are a monometal bullet and the nose is pre cut into three petals. The intent with these .22 pills is for the bullet to be soft enough to have good effect on small vermin thanks to the petals, but with a solid base to drive deep on heavier animals should they present themselves (pigs, etc).

I only have 2208 here at the moment, and while it will work in a .223 it's not ideal with lighter pills.  Apparently you don't get top speeds out of it and the case is also full.  

I decided to load an arbitrary load of 27gr of 2208 which is 1gr under the 28gr listed ADI maximum for 45gr pills. Cases are once fired Winchesters FLS and with standard CCI SR primers.    

Despite 2208 not being the best light pill .223 powder, this load chronied at 10 feet wasn't dragging its heels...

Test bed is my Tikka T3 Laminate Stainless with a 4.5-14 Clearidge Ultra XP on top, on this highly sophisticated benchrest setup.   (the Mrs doesn't know I had the cushion....)

I lasered out 100m and propped my target board up.

The rifle was cleaned this morning, so I had a baseline to start from.

First two foulers were over the chrony.  Next one was at paper at about 50m to check POI as the rifle was set up with 55gr SBK's over 26gr of 2208.  So I was happy to see this, and it meant without further mucking about I could get going at 100m.

I then fired off three shots with this result.

Next group of five after doping the scope a little left gave me this reasonable group.

The higher shot that's taken the group out a bit was the first from cold, so maybe  that's why it's a tad off the others.

In any case, this is with no load development and with no seating depth adjustment - I have a good 1.5mm of breathing room in the T3 mag so the next lot I load will be seated further out.  And loaded a half grain hotter.  Primers appear to show mild pressure the barrel is as clean as a whistle actually.

Out of interest, there is zero visible sign of any copper fouling at the muzzle at this point.  (macro pics make it look as rough as Fatboy's tractor, eh?)

Length comparison of 45gr ACP's with 55gr SBK's.

Next stage for me will be to head out in the coming evenings and see if I can whack some foxes and a few rabbits with these, to test them on flesh.   :twisted:
Why does the top left case have a crimped primer pocket?
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Glen, that is just the bolt face on the McTikka wearing out.
fenring

Post by fenring »

kickinback wrote: Why does the top left case have a crimped primer pocket?
No idea and TBH I never noticed when loading them.

These were a batch of once fired brass.

Tikka - no bolt face wear.

It's not very old and is a hunting rifle, so doesn't fire a lot of shots compared to the typical range princesses rifle. :D
Ol 55
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by Ol 55 »

I have a few Winchester 223 once fired cases with the same primer pockets,
sorting them and will run them through the primer pocket swager.
Ol 55
You are observant Glen
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Fen are they 1 inch squares

We know your bolt face isnt wearing out, it was a wind up of tickinback!
fenring

Post by fenring »

Yep, 1" mate.

Went for a stroll last night, actually a 12km stroll and found the foxes to be very flighty as is often the case this time of year. Saw a half dozen not far from the ute along a grassy creekline, most of them took one look at the light and farked of.

I called one in and drilled it with an ACP in a creek line and couldn't find it in the grass. :cry:

Then I called this bloke in, who had been loitering near lambing ewes and put one in behind his shoulder from about 70m, resulting in a bang-flop as you'd expect. A good sized dog. That WHOP you get from an explosive, gut bursting varmint pill isn't as evident with the ACP's.

The entry hole was essentially a tiny pin hole, until I peeled back the first layer of muscle revealing a lot of damage.

The exit hole was golf ball sized, in fact if I held him up I could see through the wound tract. :twisted:

Nothing else forthcoming I shot this bunny from about 100m out.

So it is evident that these are a harder pill as intended while still doing that immediate amount of damage you expect from a .22 centrefire.

In a couple of days I'll attempt to get out to another spot and nail some more foxes with them.
Flip
.243 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 VT

Post by Flip »

thanks for sharing Ferning,

looking good on the terminal effects there. I would sure not argue with those results that's for sure.

But obviously more field teasing is required ......... even if its not for poof of concept if you get what i mean :wink:

all the best with the future testing looking forward to more reports

Cheers

Flip