A few test shots with prototype ACP .22 calibre pills

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
fenring

Re: A few test shots with prototype ACP .22 calibre pills

Post by fenring »

I went for a look around last night, foxes were very scarce and I ended up with a wet arse again, but I managed to shoot this large vixen as she trotted parallel to me about 50m off.  Shot has hit the left shoulderblade and gone to town, blown the spine out and exited the other shoulder.

Entry side:

Exit side:

Only a small thread of skin left.

Nasty...

trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

thats better :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
dan_351
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 260 soon

Post by dan_351 »

G'day Fen,

i didn't even realise there was a 22 planned. They definitely turn ANY rifle into a more then a varmint gun (as long as it has some velocity) I doubt you can compare price was to bulk projectiles especially in the smaller calibres, but if you buy 1000 projectiles i think it is you get free post and a fee box too.
Compared to Barnes for example and some other pills to come outta the states that are hard to get onto they are def worth while.

Just a few quick questions, have you checked the weights of the pills? is there much variation?

Did you happen to find that the COAL varied a little, i have chewed though nearly 50 of these suckers in my 338WM. I couldn't get my seating to become consistent, i have now chamfered the rim of my seating plug and will retry
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

Reviving an old thread....

I scored some of these recently and want to try them out.

As a relative newbie to reloading what should I be aware of (if anything) when using these?

What would you recommend as mix/max loads? I'm thinking 26gn of 2206H (because it's what I have!)

It's a shame all of Fenring's pics have vanished, could be informative.

FWIW mine look a heap better than some of others I stumbled across!
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

I dunno what is going on with production of these, last I heard the fella making them was too interested in what goes on in the US to worry about us fellas over hear. I was thinking of giving some a go when they came out, but with the big price difference and rumors heard about contact/supply from the maker, couldnt be bothered. If you want to use them, make sure you have a plentiful supply as you might not get any more.

Just use load data for any other projectile of that weight and observe normal loading safety practices and you should be right. :D
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

Camel wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:34 am I dunno what is going on with production of these, last I heard the fella making them was too interested in what goes on in the US to worry about us fellas over hear. I was thinking of giving some a go when they came out, but with the big price difference and rumors heard about contact/supply from the maker, couldnt be bothered. If you want to use them, make sure you have a plentiful supply as you might not get any more.

Just use load data for any other projectile of that weight and observe normal loading safety practices and you should be right. :D
I plan on using them as a varmint round, nothing more. I am interested to see how they perform...
fenring

Post by fenring »

They were kind of hard out of my .223, on the likes of rabbits.
Waldo
.270 Winchester

Post by Waldo »

I tried em in a couple of different cals but was not overly impressed with them, never poked one into blood and bone though.

That said I did score the 5.6x57 from the experience so all was not lost :D

Similar to the Barnes copper solids so just start with their data and you should be OK.