You arent always right

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

You arent always right

Post by trevort »

My ultrasonic recipe is vinegar based. The cases sit upright in the supended beaker and the pockets get cleaned aswell. Then they are rinsed and they get stood up neck down for the bicarb treatment which, aswell as neutralising the acid, takes out even more carbon and shines the necks.

I have read a few threads with other recipes and just thought, yeah who cares what others use, my way works.

But a little voice in my head kept telling me to try Adam's cream of tartar which does away with the acid neutralising phase. I have some nice colourful cases to prove you need to do this quickly!
I was still reluctant as I like to turn the cases round to get the necks closer to the ultrasound source which sort of justifies my two step process.

Tried the Adamjp method.

Dont need to turn them upside down and dont need acid neutralising. One shot and they are done.

Cheers Adam!!
ducky
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem 223rem

Re: You arent always right

Post by ducky »

Whats the mix ratio for the brew, Trev
adamjp
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Post by adamjp »

1 tsp cream of tartar and a squirt of whatever dishwashing liquid you can swipe from under the kitchen sink.

I use Morning Fresh.
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Plowboy »

Yeah been using your mix for a while adam and with the new cleaners it works really well. I am also cleaning the cases before de priming so I have clean cases to re size and then clean them again afterwards.
Rigpig
Favourite Cartridge: 45-70

Post by Rigpig »

Plowboy wrote:Yeah been using your mix for a while adam and with the new cleaners it works really well. I am also cleaning the cases before de priming so I have clean cases to re size and then clean them again afterwards.
I did a retarded thing with my 30 -30 brass and re-sized then cleaned it I was going to run it through the re-sizer but thought it would be OK. No it was not I got 1/2 way through when I noticed one of the pills was loose out of 50 3 had very slack neck tension. I have put them all to one side I will have to get a lee neck die or the likes to keep a constant neck tension. So clean then size is my advice for what its worth.
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 22.250

Post by bigfellascott »

adamjp wrote:1 tsp cream of tartar and a squirt of whatever dishwashing liquid you can swipe from under the kitchen sink.

I use Morning Fresh.
That's the one I use too, seems to do a reasonable job (I just use one of those cheap Aldi Ultrasonic Cleaners).
Rigpig
Favourite Cartridge: 45-70

Post by Rigpig »

I got quite a large ultrasonic cleaner from Jcar it works awesome I would throw 30 -40 cases in it I use vinegar and simple green or morning fresh 50/50 vinegar and water and a hit of simple green works well. I first tryed straight vinegar it worked well but the shells tarnished quick when you pulled them out to wash. I think next I might try to tumble them and anneal them before reloading.
Tezza
17 Hornet
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Tezza »

Plowboy wrote:Yeah been using your mix for a while adam and with the new cleaners it works really well. I am also cleaning the cases before de priming so I have clean cases to re size and then clean them again afterwards.
Ever thought of getting a universal de-priming die? It saves that extra cleaning step, only takes a sec to go through a bunch of cases
Waldo
.270 Winchester

Post by Waldo »

Tezza wrote: Ever thought of getting a universal de-priming die? It saves that extra cleaning step, only takes a sec to go through a bunch of cases

Yep, did that never regretted it :D
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

I load with a rockchucker but have a little partner press on the other side of the bench with a decapping die living in it permanently

De cap, clean, blow dry, neck size.
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag

Post by Plowboy »

Tezza wrote:
Ever thought of getting a universal de-priming die? It saves that extra cleaning step, only takes a sec to go through a bunch of cases
I haven't really as I don't reload enough these days to justify it! Have not shot a rifle in several months! Kids work and leaving the farm have all rendered my shooting all but extinct! Need to get out for a shot but that would mean me going out to the farm and seeing my mother(safe is at her house). Not something I want to do really. I am going to ask a friend if I can move my safe/reloading gear to his place. I might be able to shoot more then. Oh and I also have to get myself a ute again. Farm ute is not at my disposal any more.
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Plowboy wrote:
Tezza wrote:
I haven't really as I don't reload enough these days to justify it! Have not shot a rifle in several months! Kids work and leaving the farm have all rendered my shooting all but extinct! Need to get out for a shot but that would mean me going out to the farm and seeing my mother(safe is at her house). Not something I want to do really. I am going to ask a friend if I can move my safe/reloading gear to his place. I might be able to shoot more then. Oh and I also have to get myself a ute again. Farm ute is not at my disposal any more.

All of the above SUX
jeffk
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 338WM

Post by jeffk »

I tried the ultrasonic thing, gave up and bought a rotary wet tumbler - same outcome, hundreds of cases at a time, and no acid to worry about. :)

I deprime first (and have a decapping die permanently mounted in the T7) and have lovely clean primer pockets too.
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag

Post by Plowboy »

MISSED wrote:
Plowboy wrote:
Tezza wrote:

All of the above SUX

All but the kids mate! If nothing but kids were hindering my shooting I would be happy. But the other things in my life suck pretty bad. I am sure I will come out of this a better bloke. A worse shot but a better bloke! It is what it is for now. I am stuck in this place until my wife has the baby due in September and after bubs is old enough to move, we will be on the look out. I want to get back into ag somewhere else but I have to be realistic, I am probably never going to be my own boss again.
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

Plowboy come and get pissed with us( after we put the guns away) and we will solve all ( well none actually) of your problems but it will be fun. 3rd July navarre