Bullet Lube and case prep

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
Flip
.243 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 VT

Post by Flip »

Hi All.

I have just about finished getting all the reloading gear together. Nearly 12 month to do so, but getting there none the less. Im trying to find out which bullet lube to use with the 17 rem or do I need to use it at all. Any advise would be great. Im starting off with AR2206H, Rem 7 1/2 primers and 20grn Vmax. Ive trimmed all the cases to the same length, uniformed the primer pocket debured the mouth inside and out and debured the flash hole that about it for the case prep have I missed any thing. the rifle is a Tikka M55 with facrory barrel

Cheers, Flip
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Re: Bullet Lube and case prep

Post by Knackers »

A mate, I don't think it matters what brand of lube as long as it is lubed. I run a cotton bud with Hornady lube around the inside of the each case mouth and spray the outside to make sure its covered. :wink:
Flip
.243 Winchester

Post by Flip »

Thanks Knakers. will do
GriMo
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem

Post by GriMo »

I'll throw in a vote for one shot. Makes life easy
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Creedmoor

Post by Seddo »

GriMo wrote:I'll throw in a vote for one shot. Makes life easy
+ 2

that is unless i am using lee collet dies.
Dr G
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by Dr G »

He was talking bullet Lube not case lube.

I use graphite powder (imperial dry neck sizing media) mixed in with #6 shot prior to neck sizing. This hangs around and seems to make seating bullets easier. I was told it also gives a more uniform neck tension and improves accuracy but I cant prove that. Also graphite has no effect on the powder unlike some other wet lubricants.

Others moly coat their bullets, Jimbo wrote a good article on it in a recent Australian Shooter mag.

Cast bullets will need to be lubricated but this is completely different to jacketed bullets. You dont need to lube jacketed bullets like you need to for cast but moly coating seems to get results in the BR scene.

Be careful using case lube inside necks as it can effect the powder. The way Knackers described his technique is the only way I would try it. Not sure if this will have negative effects or not but nearly every reloading manual will tell you to avoid getting case lube inside the case.

For actual sizing of cases I use a redding lube pad and water based lubricant.

Dr G
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 308/6br

Post by macca »

I use one shot spray on and am very happy with it.
As Dr G said no need to lube the bullets and after 5 years i am moving away from moly in most of my rifles.
The only thing I will ask is did you trim them before or after full length resizing.I do it after as I have found if the cases aren't batched by weight it can bugger round with the lengths due to the extra thickness of some cases.(neither here nor there unless you trying to eck out the most accuracy you can.)
I loved the 17 rem when I used it on foxes.It paid for my first ute back in the 70's.
Clean often and enjoy that flat trajectory.
cheers
Flip
.243 Winchester

Post by Flip »

Thanks all, most helpfull.

I trimmed all the case to length after resizing, then deburred the mouth inside and out. I have been as methodical as I can with every step so far.I was told that starting to reload with the 17 as my first cartdride that I would have to be very careful as it can be very finicky,So ive gone to great lengths to try and get every thing as uniform and accurate as possible

I also gave the cases a wipe with metho on a cloth to get red of the sizing lube not sure if there is some thing better or if you could sugest a better practice. Ive done alot of reading befor I started. I can't remember where but it was mentioned that the sizing lube can affect the way the case acts in grabbing the chamer walls and can cause problems.

Another question is who makes a flash hole deburrer for the 17 Ive looked and looked but cant seem to find one on line. I must be blind or dont know where to look. I have just been using a standard twist drill by hand that will fit in the neck with out touching the sides. To uniform the flash holes I have used a drill out of my gas jet kit which did the job well

Thanks again. Flip
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 308/6br

Post by macca »

Looks like you have done all you need to flip.
K & M make a deburrer for 17 and 20 cals.
I would suggest trying Peter Van Meurs at procal trading. 0352811380. You may have to wait till an order goes out and comes back but he's a good bloke,really knows his stuff.
Someone who uses the 204 may know someone else who supplies them in oz.
cheers
Flip
.243 Winchester

Post by Flip »

Thanks Macca, Will look in to it

Cheers again
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

I could lend you mine if you want
gigitt
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by gigitt »

macca wrote:Looks like you have done all you need to flip.
K & M make a deburrer for 17 and 20 cals.
I would suggest trying Peter Van Meurs at procal trading. 0352811380. You may have to wait till an order goes out and comes back but he's a good bloke,really knows his stuff.
Someone who uses the 204 may know someone else who supplies them in oz.
cheers
I got mine from BRT
http://www.benchrest.com.au/reloading.htm#km-tools

KMFHM K & M Flash Hole Deburrer for 20 cal $26.00

it is the best tool for flash hole deburring as it bottoms out on the web rather than a guide setting the depth of cut from the neck like most others.

here is a 22hornet I opened up - you can see a ring around the flash hole this is the tool bottoming out on the web
Flip
.243 Winchester

Post by Flip »

No worries,

A big thanks to you all . I will be ordering one this week. Thanks Trevort for the offer. I know i only need to do it once but Ill buy one so it there for the next batch. I have about 120 or so, once fired cases for the 17 ( been collecting them for years) so got some work ahead of me ive only done 30 up to now. dont think I'll need to buy any for a bit.
Flip
.243 Winchester

Post by Flip »

All sorted.

Have ordered a k&M 17 deburrer form bench rest.com. Hell of a nice bloke to talk to and very very help full.

thanks yet again for all the tips, hope to be punching some papper in a week or to. will try to post the results.