Which Brass???

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
lowndsie
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Which Brass???

Post by lowndsie »

Just wondering what brass everyone uses???

Ive had some bad experiances with rim thinkness on 303 PMC brass!!

I've heard that without going to match quality brass, that remington make some decent shells!
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Re: Which Brass???

Post by kjd »

Lowndsie wrote:Just wondering what brass everyone uses???

Ive had some bad experiances with rim thinkness on 303 PMC brass!!

I've heard that without going to match quality brass, that remington make some decent shells!
As I dispose of some of the win brass I will be changing to rem as I think it is better value for money and I cant fault it in my 7mm08.
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 25.06

Post by Rinso »

Lapua, RWS, Norma,Federal Gold Medal are all superior to PMC, WIn, Rem.
I have used Remington Winchester with good results but if you want close tolerances then pay the extra money.
dave
7mm08 Rem

Post by dave »

Lapua, RWS, Norma,Federal Gold Medal are all superior to PMC, WIn, Rem.
Whats all that stuff worth rinso? The better stuff that is. Ive found winchester stuff average, reloaded ballistic silver cases are quite tuff tho, rem bit better and i have 500 pmc cases on the way so im hoping they are reasonable also.
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 25.06

Post by Rinso »

dave,
Lapua prices can be found on page 72 of this months ssaa journal. If you dont get the journal let me know what calibres and I will pm you the prices. But you are looking at about $$65 or better and not many calibres in the list.
I dont know the current price for Federal but it would be about the same I would guess. I find RWS & Norma to be excellent but expensive and at times hard to get. Remember that this stuff costs more but you usually get what you pay for. If you look after it, it will last a long while.
Conversely the argument that I can buy cheaper stuff and go through more of it is also true.. depends what you want.
Hope the PMC works for you.
Whitty
Favourite Cartridge: .222

Post by Whitty »

I have just purchased some new Remington 22-250 cases to replace the old Winchester cases. This is my first experience reloading Remington cases and so far i am pleased with them. After opening the bag, I only found one case with a damaged neck. Case length and flash hole diameter are more uniform than the Winchester cases were. Some burrs on the inside of the flash holes, but no worse than Winchester cases. The Remington cases measure about 1.5 thou wider across the base which I like, as I find Winchester cases normally measure on the minimum side of SAAMI Spec's. My only dislike is that the brass seems a lot softer than Winchester. Time will tell how it stands up to pressure. Last year I priced some Norma 22-250 cases from HPGS, $46.00 for 50.

I purchased some Lapua 223 cases, $75.00 for 100, and they are very good. Only fault was 7 pieces had dings on the neck, four of them with small burrs as the result. But other than that, the qaulity would be as good as the Norma 222 cases I ran on the old barrel.