Amax's??

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Post by Ackley Improved »

From what I have read, the Amax's are the best performing match bullet on game. In the bigger calibers with Amax's, they are to destructive on deer size game (lose to much meat).

Buy yourself some and test them. I am pretty sure they will open up.

I plan on getting some Amax's in 155g for my 308, and if they shoot well, I'll be using them on game!

Cheers
AI
Kenny
6mm Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmPPC

Post by Kenny »

WELL,

seeing as how you are all rushing forward with pics of a sectioned V-Max NOT :P :P :P
I will just have to go and get me a pack on Thursday :lol:

KY
steven
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6ppc

Post by steven »

Kenny,

I will have a look around...should have a 58 or 65 amax here somewhere.

Steve
ogre6br
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55 or 6BR

Post by ogre6br »

I have some 55 and 60 V-max in .224 and some 65's in .243.
Where do I send em kenny as I have no way of sectioning them

later
P
steven
.222 Remington

Post by steven »

Ogre,

You only need a vice and a file.

I have sectioned a 107gnamax, 40gnvmax and a 70gnbt. Have also taken a photo but haven't downloaded it yet. You can see why the Amax and Vmax should be more explosive then a Nosler BT.

Steve
Kenny
6mm Remington

Post by Kenny »

Jeez...........that got things going again :D

I was planning on having a major HISSY FIT next post :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ogre, thanks but I reckon we wait and see what steven has done, I have a suspicion that they may be the same bullet :? maybe the jacket construction will show us something :)

Cmon steven wtf are you doing.....waiting for the pics to be developed :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ohhhh yeah also while talking about developing......had any luck with downloading the video of the 6.5 projies 'developing' into a mist :?:

KY
steven
.222 Remington

Post by steven »

Kenny,

Jackets for Amaxs and Vmaxs are the same. Flat battery in the camera so will charge it at lunch time and download this arvo if I can beat Daniel to the computer. The jacket for the Nosler is twice as thick as the Hornady jacket so good for energy retention but not as good in the blow up dept.

Can't fint my SD card adapter so I can put it in the card reader and download it. Will still probably have to convert it to media player but can't do it without an administrator password on Peters computer. Shame you don't have a decent camera phone and then I could have bluetoothed it to you on Sunday. Tried to send it by email from my phone but said file was too big.

If you come into town let me know and I will give you some of those Nosler Shots to try and you can have a look at that mufffler as well.

Steve
ogre6br
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55 or 6BR

Post by ogre6br »

steven wrote:Ogre,

You only need a vice and a file.

Steve
got one not the other- vice is still at outlaws - haven't pick it up since the move.

later
p
Kenny
6mm Remington

Post by Kenny »

Steven,

I will be in tomorrow, will pop over before lunch...hopefully, I have a card reader you can borrow till you track yours down :D

Dang well forgot about the shots and muffler on Sunday, no rush, will get there eventually.

I wonder does the jacket hardness vary in the projies. I know where I can beg for a loan of a hardness tester :lol: will try that theory too perhaps.

Is the hpbt one of Bazza's and are they J4 jackets :?:

KY
steven
.222 Remington

Post by steven »

Kenny,

Have 2 card readers. Need to find my sd card adapter. My sd card is a mini so need the adapter to fit in reader.

No not a hpbt but a Nosler 70gn Ballistic tip. Did one as a
comparison.

Did Billo send you an email. Mine was sent to work and was blocked. If he did could you send it to my Yahoo address.

I'll bring some shots and muffler to work tomorrow in case you turn up.

Steve
Kenny
6mm Remington

Post by Kenny »

Steve,

My card reader is a multi fit job, my nephew mailed it over from Singapore, 'sposed to be some flash bit of gear, I reckon it will work.

I am hangin to see that vid :roll: jeez it's almost as bad as an itchy trigger finger :lol: :lol: :lol:

OK...I will swap ya some shots for Billos nomination form :D

KY
steven
.222 Remington

Post by steven »

Kenny,

I must be a total farkin moron. I cant upload load a farkin pic to this thread too save my friggin life. I've try every way possible and it wont farkin happen. Even did it by yours and Keiths instructions and it wont work. I'll send it to you.

Steve
Kenny
6mm Remington

Post by Kenny »

OH MY GAWD :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kenny
6mm Remington

Post by Kenny »

Ok here we go

[img][img]http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m224 ... btvmax.jpg[/img]

Only diff I can see is the VMax has a larger poly insert....spose that translates to a bigger hollow point 8)

Nosler ain't lyin when they claim the 'solid base' wow :shock: seems there is a void in it as well similar to what my AMax has.

Thanks steven, bloody well done :D

KY[/img]
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Re: Amax's??

Post by Tony Z »

Was talking to a good mate yesterday that has just come back from a hog hunt around the Georgetown district. Lots of pigs about where he got just on fifty over three days putting around on a quad on his own. He used a pair of 308s, one for day shooting and another set up with a thermal sight.
Now this is where it gets interesting. I asked what loads he used and he said Hornady factory offering with the 155 grain BTHP. Now Amaxes i have read about as being a good pill that opens up well at longer ranges and kills quite effectively. But a HPBT match bullet? He said nothing took a step, all bang flop at ranges from 30 to 200 yards and all sizes from porkers to decent boars.
I know that Hornady uses AMP jackets in the Amax and current ELD Match bullets, and i assume something other than that in the ELDX range, but they list the same AMP jacket in their match BTHP line.
Has anyone dissected the current line of Hornady bullets to see the difference or actually used these bullets on animals? The reason i ask is i have a swag of Hornady 168 HPBT match bullets sitting idle that may be worth throwing at hogs instead of patterns on paper targets. I've never been one to use match pills on game, but old mate swears by his 155 grain factory bullet.