Quickload

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Re: Quickload

Post by Tony Z »

I have never had anything to do with QL. It goes against my instincts. If Seddo has done the numbers to back up his claim, it wouldn't be wise to disregard his statement.

I know of one intance of 2209 that JeffH has right now where it would be very unwise to go with any data. We call that lot 2208 and a half. Very fast for 2209 and not the side i want 2209 to be on. Someone i know told me the batch variation in percentage that was acceptable for ADI powders. I won't quote the figure, but for me it was the deal breaker and why i stayed with Re15 in my 6BR.
This is about the time Jacko can chime in. If there is one person who deals with load it up till the tenon threads yield then back it off a kernel, not grain, it's our Jacko.

One thing i would ask of Seddo is if you found the QL to be out , on what side was the velocity out? Faster or slower or both?
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

Tony Z,
A week or two whilst browsing at AccurateReloading, a post caught my eye regarding a shooter that opens the cannisters (ADI) before reloading and allows them to draw moisture in. I couldn't catch whether its opened in a controlled humidity, or just cracked open and left. Claim was the Hodgdon does the same to get a true burn rate as powder slows as it takes moisture.

Reason it piqued my interest is that when researching shotgun slug loads, factory fresh is considerably hotter than required as they factor in transport and minimum sit time before the ammunition may be fired. A shotgun slug is not an air-tight vessel for the powder. Sabot users will use 12 month old ammunition for practice, ensuring they start the hunting season with fresh lots.
Cheers...
Con
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

I reckon its like all the other computer modelling that is relied on so much these days, the quality of the out put will be the equivalent of the quality of the information put into it. :D

Computers eh, similar to women, you only get out of them what you punch into them. :twisted: :lol:
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

Camel wrote:I reckon its like all the other computer modelling that is relied on so much these days, the quality of the out put will be the equivalent of the quality of the information put into it. :D

Computers eh, similar to women, you only get out of them what you punch into them. :twisted: :lol:
Yep, using a computer model is both a science and an art.

You can't simply plug in some numbers and take the result as gospel.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

The Raven wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:48 pm
Camel wrote:I reckon its like all the other computer modelling that is relied on so much these days, the quality of the out put will be the equivalent of the quality of the information put into it. :D

And why the fuck not, the weather bureau and many other government departments and media do it all the time. :roll:
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Creedmoor

Post by Seddo »

Tony Z wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:15 pm One thing i would ask of Seddo is if you found the QL to be out , on what side was the velocity out? Faster or slower or both?
My actual velocities are always on the faster side.

It is an art, you can input the water volume of your cases, barrel length measured from bolt face, friction factor (jammed, jumped, left or moly have different values) to name a few. i’vs never bothered with that as I’ve only used it as a starting point. What it’s good for is if you only hav3 a certain powder and no manuals list it.

For the wildcatter, they have a drawing program where you can design a case and then import it into QL to see how it could go.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

Camel wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:10 pm
The Raven wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:48 pm

And why the fuck not, the weather bureau and many other government departments and media do it all the time. :roll:
I spend a bit of time telling them that... :roll: